Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMS - Which Airside Hotel for Overnight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS - Which Airside Hotel for Overnight?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Question AMS - Which Airside Hotel for Overnight?

We have an overnight connection in AMS later next month. We arrive in from Munich at 10:30 pm and departing to DTW at 8 am the next day. We are debating between the Yotel and the Mercure.

Online it indicates that Delta is out of the G terminal - which would suggest Mercure but it looks like the MSP and DTW flights have been going out of D1 & C1.

I have no sense of distance for these so was hoping someone has recent experience.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BadgerFlyer91
We have an overnight connection in AMS later next month. We arrive in from Munich at 10:30 pm and departing to DTW at 8 am the next day. We are debating between the Yotel and the Mercure.

Online it indicates that Delta is out of the G terminal - which would suggest Mercure but it looks like the MSP and DTW flights have been going out of D1 & C1.

I have no sense of distance for these so was hoping someone has recent experience.
all the piers are very walkable, so I wouldn't worry about that. Are you able to go landslide? The citizenM hotel (10 min walk from the airport) is a much cheaper, and better option
Old May 25, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
All terminals are connected and while one end to the other is quite a walk, it is doable.

I would definitely go for the Mercure Hotel if you insist on staying airside.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/2.2MM
I have stayed at the CitizenM - right outside the door from the terminal. It is a bit funky, but reasonable in price. Sheraton and Hilton are options but generally very expensive.

Most DTW flights leave out of D and E concourses (IME).
Old May 25, 2017, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AMS also has a Sheraton (with a decent lounge, although IMO not as good as the lounge at CDG for F&B or the one at FRA for general space as well as flood selections) that's landside but connected to the terminal and IIRC also a Hilton.

Citizen M seems to be on the airport property but does require walking outside and, in fact, not under a roof for about a block. Citizen M impresss me as somewhat like an aloft with IKEA style furniture, but more interesting with lots of different places to hang out in the lobby and a more extensive menu.

Hotel will be a tiny tiny "room" while Mercure will be a real hotel room, although I don't consider this place to be very appealing.

For DL flights, you must go to gate D1 for security screening unless you do it either near the SkyPrioiry check in counter or near the KLM nonschengen lounge (limited and somewhat random hours for the security check at the lounge). All DL departures to the USA are posted as gate D1, but after you go through their additional TSA mandated security check, they tell you the actual gate for your flight. It's likely to be a high D gate but YMMV. If not D, an E gate would seem much more likely to me than C.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 25, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I second Citizen M. Most unusual hotel I've stayed at but very comfortable and very close to the terminal.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
C1/D1 are not actual departure gates. At AMS, US bound flights on US airlines only have that listed as the gate. In reality those are just locations where you get asked the stupid security questions/profiled. They then write on your BP the actual gate. (For DL flights you can do at the Crown lounges)

Yotel is going to be small train cabin sized. Mercure is regular room. However if you can go landslide I'd use the Sheraton/Hilton, both connected by walkway to terminal. Hilton requires going through the Sheraton, so a bit longer walk. Citizen M if you can stand the quirks and outdoor walk. If you can go airside immigration at AMS is normally easy/straight forward. One of the easiest countries to clear at in the EU.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
We go to CitizenM. The first time was an adjustment is, as flyerCO said, somewhat quirky but comfortable and inexpensive.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:32 pm

Well the OP literally says "airside" so it's *only* between Mercure and Yotel. I've used both and would prefer Mercure by a significant margin if the prices are in the same ballpark.

You can get a 'deluxe' cabin at Yotel which has a fairly massive bed (it's a bit tricky to operate though, it's like a massively oversized business class seat basically) but not much else. The bathroom is tiny as well. Mercure is like a regular hotel room but on the smaller side of such rooms.

Distance isn't a big difference. Yotel would be closer most likely but the difference is like 5 to maybe 10 mins max.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Not airside, but I have stayed at the Sheraton and the hilton (just a few days ago). Both are very nice options if you can get a decent deal and are on-property.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the insights - I knew this was the right place to come. Given the fact that we are getting in late and leaving early, we don't want to deal with additional security if we leave the airport. So Mercure it is. Thanks!
Old May 26, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For DL flights, you must go to gate D1 for security screening unless you do it either near the SkyPrioiry check in counter or near the KLM nonschengen lounge (limited and somewhat random hours for the security check at the lounge). All DL departures to the USA are posted as gate D1, but after you go through their additional TSA mandated security check, they tell you the actual gate for your flight. It's likely to be a high D gate but YMMV. If not D, an E gate would seem much more likely to me than C.
I guess I will try the KLM lounge at F then for the security (we will have access) - or just walk to the D gate.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
I guess I will try the KLM lounge at F then for the security (we will have access) - or just walk to the D gate.
It's right outside line 52; fairly hard to miss. Usually there's no wait.

D1 could be quite a wait. They do have a line for Sky Priority there too.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Thanks for all the insights - I knew this was the right place to come. Given the fact that we are getting in late and leaving early, we don't want to deal with additional security if we leave the airport. So Mercure it is. Thanks!
just for your information, there is construction work ongoing at AMS airport also during nighttime. Sleeping airside may be very noisy.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I have only had the opportunity to use the Mercure at AMS once. It was a rather small and windowless room, but served its purpose for the 8 hour layover.

I shudder to think what Yotel must be like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.