Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are Medallion Updgrades Clearing since Opt In/Out Enhancement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Medallion Updgrades Clearing since Opt In/Out Enhancement?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 4:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jsbh
That was *before* yesterday's "enhancement" however.
I don't see or understand the enhancement you're talking about. As Apodo77 says in post # 8, the opt in boxes have been there for quite a while. What do you see that's different today?
Old May 25, 2017, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by davetravels
I don't see or understand the enhancement you're talking about. As Apodo77 says in post # 8, the opt in boxes have been there for quite a while. What do you see that's different today?
this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-upgrades.html

the feature of which is a subset of the discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...purchases.html

since they were all announced in the same email ("Enjoy New Booking And Upgrade Options" -- mine arrived yesterday)
Old May 25, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
In addition to the above reply, we see a different behavior today versus before.

My upgrade cleared AT the 5 day mark almost EXACTLY as best I can tell instead of 6:30pm-ish the night before.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
No upgrades for me at the 5 day window (5 pm Thursday for next Wednesday flights), even though plenty of F seats are open; I think someone got upgraded on PBI-ATL (my itinerary is DCA-JFK-PBI-ATL-DCA).
Old May 25, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I have an evening flight for next Tuesday, wide open, has not cleared yet. I will see in another 3 hours whether it is clearing exactly 120 hours in advance now.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
In addition to the above reply, we see a different behavior today versus before.

My upgrade cleared AT the 5 day mark almost EXACTLY as best I can tell instead of 6:30pm-ish the night before.
I'm not sure how strong an indicator that is though. I've had upgrades clear at T-5d instead of T-6d several times in the last year, including routes where I normally cleared at T-6d and the cabin was wide open etc. RM is as RM does.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-upgrades.html

the feature of which is a subset of the discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...purchases.html

since they were all announced in the same email ("Enjoy New Booking And Upgrade Options" -- mine arrived yesterday)

Ya, I saw those other posts. It's still a little foggy to me. I guess I'll hafto wait til I'm flying on an upgradable ticket <a week from Saturday> and see how it all pans out.

jsbh the fact that your UG cleared RIGHT AT the 5 day mark seems odd to me, because, before, it seemed that if it didn't clear at the 6/5 day mark, the next sweep wasn't til the 4/3 day mark for Golds and higher. I don't ever remember an UG clearing at 5 days.

I've had upgrades clear at T-5d instead of T-6d several times in the last year
I can't ever remember seeing this, but, it's certainly possible that I'm just not remembering it.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:26 pm

jsbh the fact that your UG cleared RIGHT AT the 5 day mark seems odd to me, because, before, it seemed that if it didn't clear at the 6/5 day mark, the next sweep wasn't til the 4/3 day mark for Golds and higher. I don't ever remember an UG clearing at 5 days.
I don't know that there's a sweep as such, or if there is, it's more frequent than daily. I've cleared upgrades on all days between T-6d and T-2d, and not always shortly after 5pm Eastern, sometimes it's in the middle of the night.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:37 pm

I don't know that there's a sweep as such, or if there is, it's more frequent than daily. I've cleared upgrades on all days between T-6d and T-2d, and not always shortly after 5pm Eastern, sometimes it's in the middle of the night.
Well, SURELY, any minute now, a Delta representative will be along to clear up all of the questions we have . . . . .

Old May 25, 2017, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ordhater
I had similar issues with my flights for next Tuesday. No upgrades cleared last night (Wednesday 6 days before departure) when I would have expected them to, with the following availability:

BOI-SLC 12/12 FC seats available
SLC-ATL 10/20 seats available (no surprise that this one didn't clear as this flight is a very tough upgrade)
ATL-PBI 17/20 seats available

I had wondered if this was part of the new and improved (blue font) FCM, as I had an offer to upgrade all three legs for $299 this morning. But the first leg just cleared in the last hour; still nothing on the last leg.
You can't check upgrade availability by looking at seat maps. The correct inventory class, RU/OU for free elite upgrades, is needed. However, if you're logged into delta.dumb and do a dummy booking, you should be about to click on upgrade availability and see whether FC upgrades or C+ "upgrades" are available.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ya, I saw those other posts. It's still a little foggy to me. I guess I'll hafto wait til I'm flying on an upgradable ticket <a week from Saturday> and see how it all pans out.

I can't ever remember seeing this, but, it's certainly possible that I'm just not remembering it.
I don't think there are sweeps beyond the big ones when the relevant elite window opens. Beyond that, I suspect that upgrades clear when upgrade inventory is released, which often happens in the middle of the night.

I've had upgrades clear around 3 am a day and a half after the DM window.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
What's interesting is that this page says this

For more details on when your upgrade will clear:
For First Class upgrades, Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will clear 5 calendar days prior to departure, Gold Medallion Members will clear 3 calendar days prior to departure and Silver Medallion Members will clear 1 calendar day prior to departure, subject to upgrade availability.
For Delta Comfort+® upgrades, Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members will be upgraded to Delta Comfort+® immediately after booking, if available. Gold Medallion Members will clear 3 calendar days prior to departure and Silver Medallion Members will clear 1 calendar day prior to departure subject to upgrade availability.
while this page says this

WHEN AM I ELIGIBLE FOR COMPLIMENTARY MEDALLION UPGRADES?

Diamond Medallion Members
Delta Comfort+ seats shortly after ticketing and First Class seats beginning 120 hours (5 days) prior to departure with priority.

Platinum Medallion Members
Delta Comfort+ seats shortly after ticketing and First Class seats beginning 120 hours (5 days) prior to departure.

Gold Medallion Members
Delta Comfort+ and First Class seats beginning 72 hours (3 days) prior to departure.

Silver Medallion Members
Delta Comfort+ and First Class seats beginning 24 hours (1 day) prior to departure.
implying a change in upgrade timing to something like a continual sweep.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Bennos for the win!

Thank you for validating my observations.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
What's interesting is that this page says this

while this page says this

implying a change in upgrade timing to something like a continual sweep.
It's been a continual sweep after the window opens, as upgrade inventory becomes available.

However, the specification of how many hours is totally new.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think there are sweeps beyond the big ones when the relevant elite window opens. Beyond that, I suspect that upgrades clear when upgrade inventory is released, which often happens in the middle of the night.

I've had upgrades clear around 3 am a day and a half after the DM window.
What is the distinction you are drawing between "sweeps" and "clear"? It does seem to me that upgrade inventory can be released at any time, and then clearly there is some process which upgrades eligible pax if there is upgrade inventory, as evidenced by people being upgraded even outside of the "normal" 5pm-ish time period.

Bennos for the win!

Thank you for validating my observations.
Again, I wouldn't be quick to take too literal a reading of that page. What marketing writes and what's implemented can differ in subtle ways. The upgrade language as long as I've paid attention to it has always talked about 5 days for DM/PM but upgrades have cleared at T-6d.

Also worth noting, in the first link that says specifically "5 days" if you expand the "HOW IT WORKS" at the bottom it also says "Once the upgrade window opens, the automated upgrade processing will continue to clear upgrades as availability changes, up to three hours prior to departure."

I'm not ruling anything out, maybe they actually have changed from T-6d to a strict T-5d, just saying the evidence is non-conclusive so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.