Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo-Narita (NRT) Sky Club closure =(

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 1:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Tokyo-Narita (NRT) Sky Club closure =(

As of last week, Delta closed the Sky Club lounge at Satellite 1, which had been one of its two lounges in its ever-shrinking Narita hub.

Satellite 1 is now pretty much a ghost town with the closure. Even the gift shop was closed when I walked by today.

This was probably a given what with Delta eliminating a significant number of intra-Asia flights over the last three years. Only the Satellite 2 location remains open. It was standing room-only this afternoon, as there aren't nearly enough seats and tables for peak hours.

Interestingly, there is a large sign near the now-closed location saying the remaining Sky Club has been "improved."

The only difference I noticed was the addition of pasta and a different style chicken brochette. Everything else is the same. Magazines are also gone, except for Delta's magazines. Newspaper selection remains good.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Already discussed at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-thread-6.html
Old May 25, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Thst said, this is a significant enough change that I think it deserves separate discussion - I was unaware until seeing this thread that it had happened. Thanks OP for the (unfortunate) heads up.
hockeystl and kthomas like this.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah, I was curious if the remaining Sat2 lounge would become a zoo with everyone going there, especially during peak times. Guess thats confirmed. Disapointing if you can't get a seat during a connection or delay. I can imagine the shower waitlist is too long to be useful now too.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I was wondering when this would happen. Unfortunate but not surprising.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Yeah, I was curious if the remaining Sat2 lounge would become a zoo with everyone going there, especially during peak times. Guess thats confirmed. Disapointing if you can't get a seat during a connection or delay. I can imagine the shower waitlist is too long to be useful now too.
I went in after landing from Detroit. Walked around like a zombie for 10 minutes but couldn't find anywhere to sit without some weird-looking person right next to me.

I left, walked around Narita for an hour -- bought some souvenirs and people-watched -- before coming back, by which point it was clearing out. The shower was available then.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I left, walked around Narita for an hour -- bought some souvenirs and people-watched -- before coming back, by which point it was clearing out. The shower was available then.
About what time of day was that?
Old May 26, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
I still miss the old AF lounge always fewer people during DL flights and they had champagne.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I went in after landing from Detroit. Walked around like a zombie for 10 minutes but couldn't find anywhere to sit without some weird-looking person right next to me.

If it's going to be that full I'd rather use KE and eat instant ramen.

Lately never had enough time for showers yet alone waiting for one. Seems DL is shortening layover time at NRT for many flights that relaxing after a long flight is impossible. The then JFK was the worst.
Attendant used to give a shower voucher outside but not anymore recently.

I guess soon it will be goodbye NRT hello SEA.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
I still miss the old AF lounge always fewer people during DL flights and they had champagne.

If it's going to be that full I'd rather use KE and eat instant ramen.

The KE lounge also has self-serve Hennessy XO Cognac - Very tasty! This is a standard stop for me upon landing in NRT ^
Old May 27, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
The KE lounge also has self-serve Hennessy XO Cognac - Very tasty! This is a standard stop for me upon landing in NRT ^
The XO was my little secret haven along with the mini Oreos.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
In the remaining NRT Sky Club now, and it's dead. When I arrived it was busy but still plenty of places to sit. Food is improved and there is a premium alcohol station set up next to where I'm sitting. Other than that, I agree that it's the same as it's always been.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:49 am

I visited the day the Sat2 lounge the day the Sat1 lounge closed, and again about a week later. One difference from previous visits is that the sushi-like offerings were gone from the food area. Regarding seating space, a huge design flaw is the desk area arrayed linearly along the window area. There is only one electrical outlet for every two seats, and that one outlet has only one plug -- thus nearly guaranteeing that half the spaces go unused.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
About what time of day was that?
Early afternoon when the Detroit flight landed and numerous flights to the United States were preparing to depart.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Task Force DL
The Korean lounge had a bottle of self-serve Remy Martin, which according to Google sells for 170 euros per bottle.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
KE FTW

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
The XO was my little secret haven along with the mini Oreos.
KE understands our need for GOOD Cognac. It's my breakfast of champions for TPAC travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.