Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checked in, no seats open to select - How screwed am I?

Checked in, no seats open to select - How screwed am I?

Old May 24, 2017, 10:49 pm
k2
Original Poster

DL276 NRT-DTW. Checked in, no seats open to select - How screwed am I?

They allowed me to rebook onto DL276 about 5hrs ago because my original itinerary was delayed. At that time I was able to pick the last seat in D1 (11D). I'm on a paid ticket.

On the Narita express now, pulled up the app and my seat assignment was gone. Went through the app checkin process and it let me checkin, but there are no seats available to select.

Are they about to give me the business? What's the suggested strategy here? Don a MAGA hat and go nuts like that dude in Shanghai earlier this week 😉?

Last edited by k2; May 24, 2017 at 10:58 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL D 1MM SPG P Marriott G Hilton D
If you have a paid ticket, and was confirmed into the seat, I wouldn't worry at all if I were you. I suggest you to check-in with the Sky Priority desk at NRT again to confirm that you have a seat. If they couldn't give you a seat, ask for a reroute and some compensation.

It could be some reissuing mistake, which happens quite often.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:13 pm
k2
Original Poster

We will see. SEAT REQUEST on my BP. Checkin agent confirmed I'm confirmed. No reroute was offered and I'm not interested anyway. Guess they're going to be throwing some $ around for volunteers.

Out of curiosity, worst case scenario they don't let me on, what's the plan of attack in terms of IDB compensation?
Old May 24, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL D 1MM SPG P Marriott G Hilton D
Originally Posted by k2
We will see. SEAT REQUEST on my BP. Checkin agent confirmed I'm confirmed. No reroute was offered and I'm not interested anyway. Guess they're going to be throwing some $ around for volunteers.

Out of curiosity, worst case scenario they don't let me on, what's the plan of attack in terms of IDB compensation?
They probably will put you into a Y seat if all D1 seats are occupied, but most of times you'll be given some rebooking options into D1 on other flights. Either way, they are supposed to offer you some compensation, usually the fare difference at the time of booking plus a $200-$1000 voucher.

The only time you get the IDB compensation is when they don't let you board the airplane at all, which I think is not probable in this case.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
You can probably route through Seattle which is 4:15 pm departure. Or if you have time, route through HNL at 7pm and then spend the day there.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:38 pm
k2
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I guess I should have checked in earlier today when I had an assigned seat. I usually never bother to check-in early for these fli

Fingers crossed for no-shows, mis-connects and volunteers.
​​
Old May 24, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
J is zeroed out, and EF shows every seat on the seat map as Occupied (none Blocked)... however I'm pretty sure that EF is no longer capable of discerning between Blocked and Occupied seats on DL... still showing plenty of availability in Economy.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:13 am
k2
Original Poster

Got into J.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by k2
Got into J.
^ glad to hear it! Out of curiosity, are you in your originally assigned seat? Did you find out what happened?
Old May 25, 2017, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The #1 thing to have done here is to call DL. Immediately. Glad it worked for OP, but if there is a problem, it is a lot easier to fix it in advance than at the airport and if there are a number of passengers facing the same problem, the early bird gets the worm.

Pick up the phone and call anytime there is an issue.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:12 pm
k2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
^ glad to hear it! Out of curiosity, are you in your originally assigned seat? Did you find out what happened?
No, I got a different seat, provided at the gate as boarding started. When the FA took my meal order the manifest showed me as someone else.

Re: calling DL - I did call after noticing my seat assignment disappeared, about 4hrs before departure. The phone agent couldn't do anything except say I was confirmed on the flight and I'd need to wait for a seat assignment at the gate. Got the same story from the check-in agent and skyclub folks at NRT.

My takeaway is I should have checked in on the app when I had a seat assignment.

I think I was pretty lucky, about an hour before boarding (before I got my seat) there was only one J seat remaining for sale out of NRT, on the SEA flight. I was ready for the worst but it worked out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.