Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
How post-purchase upgrades work: Based on Delta's announcement 24 May, anyone who purchases a ticket for coach can purchase a Comfort+ or First Class upgrade. No mention was made of Delta One. Upgrades are available as of 24 May via phone or web; app functionality is pending according to the airline. No mention of relative cost was provided.

Some further details here:Delta to Offer A Variety of Ways to Upgrade Tickets After Purchase

Link to Delta's press release: http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...age-upgrades-0

Link to Delta.com page about the changes: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

Partial T&Cs, emphases mine:

Terms and Conditions:

The advertised price is not an offer and is subject to change. No contract exists until you receive confirmation that payment was received and processed. Upgrades may only be purchased for Delta- or Delta Connection- operated flights and are not available for Award Tickets and certain discounted and exception fares. Additional eligibility restrictions may apply at Delta's sole discretion. All passengers within the confirmation number must be upgraded to Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ TM, or First/Delta One fare classes. Fare rules of your initial reservation will apply regardless of whether rules that would otherwise apply to the fare class of your upgraded ticket are less restrictive, i.e. changeability/refundability. Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, Medallion Qualification Miles and Medallion Qualification Dollars accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ TM or First/Delta One and associated fare classes, and the increase in base fare or carrier imposed surcharges paid in connection with your upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Only if "upgrade" inventory is available. With DL now trying to sell the C+ "upgrades" aggressively, I predict that little WU space will be released before the gate.....just like FCM has reduced the odds of DMs and PMs being upgraded to FC at the window.
+1

This is happening to me (a DM) more and more on TPAC flights in/out NRT where C+ seats are being "revenue controlled" in increasing numbers.

Oh, by the way, as I was deplaning DL275 at NRT a few days ago, there was an agent holding up a sign for "Delta360 xxxxxxxx Seat 58B"

Last edited by fpmurphy; May 25, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is especially bad for DM's who opt-out as they would loose their priority over PM's who are upgraded on the same day. GM's and FO's who opt out would only be competing against other medallions at their level.
True. And one more example, just for fun. Let's say there are 5 DM/PMs (2 opt in, 3 opt out) and 3 upgrades available. The 2 opt-ins get upgraded. The fastest finger opt-out gets upgraded. The rest have to wait to see if more upgrade inventory becomes available
Old May 26, 2017, 8:23 am

So far this is really annoying for me. There seems to be a gap space for folks who "Opt In" for F but "Opt Out" for C+.

This may be something Delta didn't game out properly, so if one is - like me - straddling, then even after "Opting In" for a C+ on a specific leg of an ITN, you can't move back, nor can you see offers for F. That last part makes me think they didn't think it thru right.

Do folks who are fully opted IN see no FCM offers with this new program?

On the other hand, I can see Delta hoping for folks like me to be pushed to pick one strategy or the other and not straddle the F/C+ Opt Ins and then flight-by-flight opt in for C+.

General sense as this rolls out? Another Delta program that is complicated, a bit clunky, and doesn't really make some of us any happier. Wah-wah.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RaflW
So far this is really annoying for me. There seems to be a gap space for folks who "Opt In" for F but "Opt Out" for C+.

This may be something Delta didn't game out properly, so if one is - like me - straddling, then even after "Opting In" for a C+ on a specific leg of an ITN, you can't move back, nor can you see offers for F. That last part makes me think they didn't think it thru right.

On the other hand, I can see Delta hoping for folks like me to be pushed to pick one strategy or the other and not straddle the F/C+ Opt Ins and then flight-by-flight opt in for C+.

General sense as this rolls out? Another Delta program that is complicated, a bit clunky, and doesn't really make some of us any happier. Wah-wah.
For as long as I've had those checkbox options, I have always been "opted-in" for FC and "opted-out" for C+, and I pretty consistently get FCM and C+M offers unless there is something weird with my ticket (RUC applied, Amex cert, etc.).
Old May 26, 2017, 8:49 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

I think your needs are served here ... you can opt in for F and opt out for C+. It's not clear if you can opt-in for C+ flight-by-flight, but hopefully so (just as you could choose to request C+ or not flight-by-flight before).

And you still see FCM offers even if you are opted in, since heaven forbid Delta would miss a chance to try to extract some more money from you. Indeed it looks like the FCM (and C+CM) interface is basically how Delta manages the opt-out process -- you see the FCM box on the right side of the seat map regardless, and once your upgrade clears, the FCM price just changes to "free".
Old May 26, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
DL's lovely new perpetual FCM is $100 more than fare difference on one of my flights.

Such a great deal.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Yeah, the pricing is crazy. On one of my trips (SFO-LAX) the round trip price difference between the coach fare I paid and the currently available A fare is $140. Using the new upgrade feature, they want $156 each way. More than double the cost of calling in to buy the first class upgrade.

I really hope that they don't change the policy of waiving the change fee when upgrading, but I could see that coming as a way to push people towards these new upgrade fees.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Yeah, the pricing is crazy. On one of my trips (SFO-LAX) the round trip price difference between the coach fare I paid and the currently available A fare is $140. Using the new upgrade feature, they want $156 each way. More than double the cost of calling in to buy the first class upgrade....
P. T. Barnum had a good way of explaining this.

Perhaps RM is just applying this principle.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
I think your needs are served here... you can opt in for F and opt out for C+. It's not clear if you can opt-in for C+ flight-by-flight, but hopefully so (just as you could choose to request C+ or not flight-by-flight before).

And you still see FCM offers even if you are opted in, since heaven forbid Delta would miss a chance to try to extract some more money from you. Indeed it looks like the FCM (and C+CM) interface is basically how Delta manages the opt-out process -- you see the FCM box on the right side of the seat map regardless, and once your upgrade clears, the FCM price just changes to "free". <emphasis added>.
Sorry, but it isn't working that way for me. I see no offers at all, and a restricted seat map, even though, 93 days out, I can see plenty of F seats on a dummy booking and DL would be nuts not to sell FCM on a leisure flight like this.

First image is the 'my trip' page that others see FCM offers just below Skypriority and above Flight Information (I WU'd on the outbound)

Second image is the return flight seat map. Just below the seat number box on the right is where DL's promo materials show I should see the buy up offers in little boxes.

IMO, the system is buggy, or not set up properly for Opt In for F / Opt Out for C+.
Attached Images   
Old May 26, 2017, 1:02 pm

IMO, the system is buggy, or not set up properly for Opt In for F / Opt Out for C+.
Everything's working well for me. I also chose IN for F and OUT for C+ on most of my itineraries
Old May 26, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Sorry, but it isn't working that way for me. I see no offers at all, and a restricted seat map, even though, 93 days out, I can see plenty of F seats on a dummy booking and DL would be nuts not to sell FCM on a leisure flight like this.

First image is the 'my trip' page that others see FCM offers just below Skypriority and above Flight Information (I WU'd on the outbound)

Second image is the return flight seat map. Just below the seat number box on the right is where DL's promo materials show I should see the buy up offers in little boxes.

Well, if you want to call this MSP-MCO flight a leisure flight, then consider my DTW-MCO flight on 9/25.

I bought these tickets last Saturday and seeing C+ pretty open, I made the selection and we immediately were in C+ for all four flights (MCO-DTW-DCA-DTW-MCO). I now have an offer to upgrade to FC for $246.18 on the DTW-MCO and open seats are shown in FC, C+ and coach.

The best part is that if I am willing to also take FC seats on the DCA-DTW leg, then I can have both legs for only $213.93. It's the same exact deal on the flight up.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:55 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Yeah, the pricing is crazy. On one of my trips (SFO-LAX) the round trip price difference between the coach fare I paid and the currently available A fare is $140. Using the new upgrade feature, they want $156 each way. More than double the cost of calling in to buy the first class upgrade.

I really hope that they don't change the policy of waiving the change fee when upgrading, but I could see that coming as a way to push people towards these new upgrade fees.
Most of the offers that I've seen are stupidly high too, and often higher than the fare difference. I've seen a lot of $77.88 for less than one hour flights with $30ish fare differences.

I'm sure that Delta is building a massive set of data about how much they can charge for each route and will adjust prices accordingly. However, for the near future, I think we may see less FCM seats and more Medallion upgrade seats
Old May 27, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
whoops, posted in wrong thread.

mods can delete if needed.

Last edited by ekozie; May 27, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old May 27, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Mrs EssexNYC and I are on separate PNRs flying home SLC-JFK in a couple of days (we met up after a work trip). I was auto-upgraded to C+ aisle and she (no status) is still window a few rows back. I called today to buy upgrade for her, and was quoted $276 to move her from economy window to the C+ middle seat next to me!
Old May 27, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that having two people on the same res may be disqualifying you from the F upgrade offers. I see upgrade offers and FC seat availability on all my domestic flights, but I am also booked solo on all of these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.