Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
How post-purchase upgrades work: Based on Delta's announcement 24 May, anyone who purchases a ticket for coach can purchase a Comfort+ or First Class upgrade. No mention was made of Delta One. Upgrades are available as of 24 May via phone or web; app functionality is pending according to the airline. No mention of relative cost was provided.

Some further details here:Delta to Offer A Variety of Ways to Upgrade Tickets After Purchase

Link to Delta's press release: http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...age-upgrades-0

Link to Delta.com page about the changes: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

Partial T&Cs, emphases mine:

Terms and Conditions:

The advertised price is not an offer and is subject to change. No contract exists until you receive confirmation that payment was received and processed. Upgrades may only be purchased for Delta- or Delta Connection- operated flights and are not available for Award Tickets and certain discounted and exception fares. Additional eligibility restrictions may apply at Delta's sole discretion. All passengers within the confirmation number must be upgraded to Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ TM, or First/Delta One fare classes. Fare rules of your initial reservation will apply regardless of whether rules that would otherwise apply to the fare class of your upgraded ticket are less restrictive, i.e. changeability/refundability. Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, Medallion Qualification Miles and Medallion Qualification Dollars accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ TM or First/Delta One and associated fare classes, and the increase in base fare or carrier imposed surcharges paid in connection with your upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LBJ
My guess is that having two people on the same res may be disqualifying you from the F upgrade offers. I see upgrade offers and FC seat availability on all my domestic flights, but I am also booked solo on all of these.
I consistently get FCM offers on PNRs I share with Mrs. Lee (no status).

Two friends of mine flew to PDX last night on the same PNR. No status for either of them and they had a standing FCM offer that was offered again during OLCI (I know because they were over for dinner when they got the alert to OLCI).
Old May 27, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yeah, the pricing is crazy. On one of my trips (SFO-LAX) the round trip price difference between the coach fare I paid and the currently available A fare is $140. Using the new upgrade feature, they want $156 each way. More than double the cost of calling in to buy the first class upgrade.
Similar here - an upcoming ATL-LAS roundtrip A fare was only $300 or so more than my coach fare. The online offer was about $1150 to upgrade roundtrip.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
I consistently get FCM offers on PNRs I share with Mrs. Lee (no status).

Two friends of mine flew to PDX last night on the same PNR. No status for either of them and they had a standing FCM offer that was offered again during OLCI (I know because they were over for dinner when they got the alert to OLCI).
It's clear that the system was changed a little over a week ago, so comparing offers pre-change may not reflect the current system. Also, the check-in offers may be generated independently of the new system. Does anyone have a current reservation with two or more people on it where an offer is present?
Old May 27, 2017, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yeah, the pricing is crazy. On one of my trips (SFO-LAX) the round trip price difference between the coach fare I paid and the currently available A fare is $140. Using the new upgrade feature, they want $156 each way. More than double the cost of calling in to buy the first class upgrade.

I really hope that they don't change the policy of waiving the change fee when upgrading, but I could see that coming as a way to push people towards these new upgrade fees.
People have also reported having the change fee waived when they upfare to a higher coach fare class in order to be able to SDC.

Ever since DL first introduced the upgrade offers, I always compare the price to just buying the G A P fares. Often I've seen checkout offers that exceed the cost if one searches for FC, G class or higher from the beginning.

However, if you call to upgrade just one segment, this will probably break the fare and be much more expensive.

BTW, are folks still seeing the prices for FCM offers on the app fluctuating? I often find that if I wait, the price will first to up and then down later, then up again. I also notice that the FCM offer will sometimes appear (either right after purchase or a couple days later, often just after the 24 hour free cancel period), disappear for no obvious reason (when it doesn't look like additional seats have been sold), and then reappear in a day or so.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gt5889a
Similar here - an upcoming ATL-LAS roundtrip A fare was only $300 or so more than my coach fare. The online offer was about $1150 to upgrade roundtrip.
The cheapest A fares on ATL-LAS have a RT purchase requirement. It's possible that the upgrade offer is not considering those fares since it is offering upgrades on an each way basis.

KE3NA0FB

MINIMUM STAY
FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 01JAN 17 TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN
Old May 27, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LBJ
It's clear that the system was changed a little over a week ago, so comparing offers pre-change may not reflect the current system. Also, the check-in offers may be generated independently of the new system. Does anyone have a current reservation with two or more people on it where an offer is present?
I did mention my friends that had a FCM offer all through this week, right up until their OLCI late Thursday night.

​​​​​​​IIRC it was ~$230 each way for ATL-PDX. They were on the fence but ultimately decided to stay in Y.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
See my post #101 . We refers to my wife and I on the same reservation (PNR).
Old May 27, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RaflW
Sorry, but it isn't working that way for me. I see no offers at all, and a restricted seat map, even though, 93 days out, I can see plenty of F seats on a dummy booking and DL would be nuts not to sell FCM on a leisure flight like this.

First image is the 'my trip' page that others see FCM offers just below Skypriority and above Flight Information (I WU'd on the outbound)

Second image is the return flight seat map. Just below the seat number box on the right is where DL's promo materials show I should see the buy up offers in little boxes.

IMO, the system is buggy, or not set up properly for Opt In for F / Opt Out for C+.
Your screenshot shows seats 19A and 19C, but it also says Comfort+ (WU) even though these are not C+ seats. That seems a bit odd.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Your screenshot shows seats 19A and 19C, but it also says Comfort+ (WU) even though these are not C+ seats. That seems a bit odd.
I may not have explained clearly enough. The upper pic is the outbound, where we opted IN (on the individual trip page) and got WU on a 757. The lower pic is the return where we're in the exit row of a 739, opted OUT for this leg. Both just happen to be row 19.

I posted both because on neither page did I see any offers. Delta's marketing email seems to say you'll always see offers (obv not if a class is full. 91 days out, F isn't)

Here's my challenge, and I'm hoping another FTer has seen and dealt with similar?

I have Opted IN in my profile for upgrades to F. And opted OUT in my profile for C+. This seems to be what other folks have done, is that right? Yet they say they can see all available seats in all cabins, and see offers, and I see only available seats in my cabin class.

Should I toggle my profile OPTs to see if that shakes things loose? Or is this what I suspect, a gap that DL didn't program correctly for. Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So I'm getting one of these offers in the app on a flight I booked that's an award. $150ish for LAS-SEA-SLC.

I'm mildly intrigued by this, though TBH for two segments under 2 hours that's kinda "eh"- I think I could "tough" out two DL flights in Y (not even C+). Would I actually get MQD/miles for the flights?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm seeing an offer on an award ticket booking also... wondering if MQD and miles would accrue for it as well. Or how about MQM?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Delta wanted $75 for DCA-DTW and $119 for FNT-ATL last week.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I had a lengthy conversation with a DM line CSR last weekend while changing flights. She told me that many DL customers are taking advantage of the upgrade offers. That is one of her recommended options to ride up front. If you don't see the online offer during or after booking, don't be afraid to call and ask. I also found that you can change a flight and buy your way into FC. Be careful doing this because if you do, it will cause DL to take over ownership of your reservation if it was booked through a third-party.

Another observation: I wanted to change a flight before the SDC window opened up (like 2 days earlier). I had already bought up to an A fare when I booked. DL allowed me to change the flight with no change fee. I even got a credit for the fare difference ($85 woo hoo). Interesting.

I do believe that this is a result of FCM. I think DL has been analyzing the data from FCM sales and they now have a good idea of what a discounted FC seat is worth to customers.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:42 am

I don’t know if this is the right post for this question but maybe someone can answer me.

I booked LAS-ATL in Y on a red eye through my companies travel booking site. A couple days later I got an offer to upgrade to first. I took it so now the flight to LAS is in Y and my return is a P fare. On the day of departure can I SDC for free to LAS-LAX-ATL to fly the red eye portion on widebody d1 seat?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ems717
I don’t know if this is the right post for this question but maybe someone can answer me.

I booked LAS-ATL in Y on a red eye through my companies travel booking site. A couple days later I got an offer to upgrade to first. I took it so now the flight to LAS is in Y and my return is a P fare. On the day of departure can I SDC for free to LAS-LAX-ATL to fly the red eye portion on widebody d1 seat?
I read that 3 times and have no idea what you are trying to say. Did you upgrade both directions? It sounds like you upgraded your return leg, but want to SDC on your outbound leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.