Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from Paid F after Check-in ?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from Paid F after Check-in ?!?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by whimike
Had this happen to me. I got the same old BS story that I paid for an economy fare that was instantly upgraded to F and since they needed my F seat I was first to be downgraded. Ridiculous BS if you ask me. When I book on Delta I request the F cabin and F pricing and I choose the fare code under the First Class column. Yet they keep claiming this is an economy fare. How is anybody supposed to know this and how does one buy an actual F fare then?
Va Ave finally saw the light several years ago and did away with that BS story.

But, reports here from time to time indicate that not all telephone agents are up to speed on the new policy.

GAP fares are not UGs... they are legitimate (but discounted) FC fares.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP had seats 1C and 1D. Could these bulkhead seats have been needed for some passenger in FC with special needs? Unfortunately when there must be downgrades, GAs don't always bother looking at details rather than just downgrading the person whose seat is needed.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
GAP fares are not UGs... they are legitimate (but discounted) FC fares.
I'm not actually sure that's the case. I seem to remember someone (in a position to know) posting that they are actually economy fares, what had changed was that they would not be treated as such and would instead be treated as actual paid (but discounted) F.

Admittedly, this is a semantic nitpick since I can't think of what practical difference it makes if they policy is to treat them as paid F.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP had seats 1C and 1D. Could these bulkhead seats have been needed for some passenger in FC with special needs? Unfortunately when there must be downgrades, GAs don't always bother looking at details rather than just downgrading the person whose seat is needed.
Every time I reserve a bulkhead now - usually on an RJ - I am warned that I might be moved but it is never clear where I might go. These are usually either paid FC domestic tickets or domestic segments on paid BE international tickets.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But a paid F PAX should be the last one downgraded.

Va Ave wants everyone buying FC, but are unwilling to provide a true first class product in return.

FC downgrades (especially paid) should be an extreme rarity, but the experiences posted on FT suggest otherwise.
People don't post on FT when they aren't downgraded, so looking only at FT won't show the full picture. There are almost 500,000 enplanements every day.

Does OP have Medallion status?
Old May 23, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno
Every time I reserve a bulkhead now - usually on an RJ - I am warned that I might be moved but it is never clear where I might go. These are usually either paid FC domestic tickets or domestic segments on paid BE international tickets.
Really? Who warns you? Jeez. If I'm going to risk an invol DG every time I book 1CD then forget it...

Originally Posted by Widgets
People don't post on FT when they aren't downgraded, so looking only at FT won't show the full picture. There are almost 500,000 enplanements every day.

Does OP have Medallion status?
No status. Just a SM number.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by as219
Really? Who warns you? Jeez. If I'm going to risk an invol DG every time I book 1CD then forget it...

Booking 1CD will not cause an involuntary downgrade because you will ONLY be moved to accommodate another First Class passenger, not a Main cabin passenger. The worst that would happen is being moved to another First Class seat. Airlines have no legal responsibility to accommodate Main Cabin passengers with disabilities in First Class.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Doesn't matter the airline. DOT rules require the bulkhead be given to those that qualify.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:22 am

If you make a res over the phone now, the agents will warn you if you select a bulkhead seat that you may lose it if they need to accommodate someone with a disability, service animal or pet. I select bulkheads all the time and never had it happen. I am sure it is pretty rare, but it does happen from time to time and people that have not been warned have been none too pleased (and rightfully so). I wouldn't avoid those seat, just be aware that it could happen.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
My understanding is FAMs never sit at the bulkhead, as they travel with a bag that is always at their feet.

Originally Posted by pvn
I'm not actually sure that's the case. I seem to remember someone (in a position to know) posting that they are actually economy fares, what had changed was that they would not be treated as such and would instead be treated as actual paid (but discounted) F.

Admittedly, this is a semantic nitpick since I can't think of what practical difference it makes if they policy is to treat them as paid F.
True - they are still UP fares. What has changed is how they are treated when SHTF.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
My understanding is FAMs never sit at the bulkhead, as they travel with a bag that is always at their feet.

True - they are still UP fares. What has changed is how they are treated when SHTF.
they still work like UP fares, but they're now actually labeled FC fares.
​​​​​
Old May 23, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
Precisely. Extrapolating from anecdotes is silly.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by javabytes
Delta's CoC lists FGAP as first class fares. Not coach fares with automatic upgrades.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Delta's CoC lists FGAP as first class fares. Not coach fares with automatic upgrades.
End of story and kind of disappointing a customer service person would still refer to them than anything other than a F fare.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
That's how they are now advertised, and how they are [supposed to be] treated... and that should be the end of story when dealing with any Delta employee.

But mechanically, in terms of the way the fares are filed, and the way they behave with respect to availability, they are still UP fares.

Last edited by javabytes; May 23, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.