Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Old May 25, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by C W
RenesPoints has also reported that a Delta tech insider says that it is a glitch.

I'm not putting a ton of credence in either of your reports, but I think this issue is far from settled.
+1 for this.

Because this has happened in the past and has been fixed, my instinct tends to lean towards this being an IT error. Time will tell I suppose. Until then, I recommend yoga and deep breathing for JohnDelta. Keep calm and realize it's not that serious!
Old May 25, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by C W
I can see Main Cabin for all my WU seatmaps. A big part of this change was the ability to self-downgrade.
Must be individual then because I can't see them for any of my current trips.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:14 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Must be individual then because I can't see them for any of my current trips.
I think these kind of inconsistencies are good evidence for the glitch theory.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by C W
I can see Main Cabin for all my WU seatmaps. A big part of this change was the ability to self-downgrade.
To re-iterate a counter-datapoint I made previously (either in this thread or another one)...I have a trip in WU where I FC or Main Cabin seats are completely grayed out in either direction. There is no FCM offer on this trip and I have RUCs waitlisted in both directions.

On another, completely separate trip, I am in WU and have an FCM offer, and I can see seatmaps for all three cabins (including the blue aisle/window seats in Main Cabin).
Old May 25, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I have been following this thread after I thought this was a glitch and I'll be honest that I haven't figured this out yet. At first impression, it seems that DL is screwing with the medallions that often know the rules better than the DM line CSRs.

Here is my situation, I have four flights between now and August and all of them are TATL. I have C+ in all but one flight and I have GUCs waitlisted for two of the East bounds. I cannot see anything but grayed out sections both up and down from C+. Others are saying that the they have flights where FCM is offered (I don't have any FCM and wouldn't buy up anyway) so I can only see all of the available center C+ seats. Not sure what to think about this "enhancement", but I don't like making dummy reservations to see the 7 D1 still available on next week's TATL. Sorry for being an idiot here, I just don't see the benefit for DL with this change.

Last edited by SYRRDU; May 25, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
This made me curious enough to take an inventory:

One itinerary is a CRJ in "WU", and I can self-downgrade; then connecting to 75S in OP, the other cabins are greyed out.

3 upcoming segments on an E75, all three currently in WU. One of them I can self-downgrade or FCM upgrade. The other two are greyed out.

75D/H in WU, can self-downgrade or FCM upgrade.

And lastly a WFBF itinerary in A, A319 / E75. Y cabin greyed out.

The app shows inconsistent views too. Sometimes the cabins are greyed out, sometimes they aren't; the only consistent thing is I can NOT self-downgrade on the app, with the usual error dialog about "you purchased blah blah experience." I would guess app updates are forthcoming to match the web site functionality.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have two TATL flights where I am in C+ and I can sell all open coach seats. I don't have any GUC's waitlisted on them, so that may be the difference.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
This made me curious enough to take an inventory:

One itinerary is a CRJ in "WU", and I can self-downgrade; then connecting to 75S in OP, the other cabins are greyed out.

3 upcoming segments on an E75, all three currently in WU. One of them I can self-downgrade or FCM upgrade. The other two are greyed out.

75D/H in WU, can self-downgrade or FCM upgrade.

And lastly a WFBF itinerary in A, A319 / E75. Y cabin greyed out.

The app shows inconsistent views too. Sometimes the cabins are greyed out, sometimes they aren't; the only consistent thing is I can NOT self-downgrade on the app, with the usual error dialog about "you purchased blah blah experience." I would guess app updates are forthcoming to match the web site functionality.
Have you (or anyone else) actually self-downgraded via the seat map yet? When you do so, does your booking change from WU back to your original coach class? Or can you move back into C+ at any point from there?

I could see a situation where, for example, I book into a main cabin middle, then get a WU upgrade but it's into a window. Then later, main cabin aisle is available and I move there. Later yet again, C+ aisle comes available -- can I re-upgrade myself to that C+ aisle? I had several flights back in the move-about-freely EC days where this exact sequence occurred.

In the new system, if my WU seat is actually released and I'm kicked back to my KLUT fare when I self-downgrade, I could see it quickly being snapped back up by someone else (or just not go back into inventory), and then I'm sitting there having to wait for more WU to be released.

Maybe I'll spend some time trolling the deltapro pages tonight.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:54 pm
C W

Originally Posted by gooselee
To re-iterate a counter-datapoint I made previously (either in this thread or another one)...I have a trip in WU where I FC or Main Cabin seats are completely grayed out in either direction. There is no FCM offer on this trip and I have RUCs waitlisted in both directions.

On another, completely separate trip, I am in WU and have an FCM offer, and I can see seatmaps for all three cabins (including the blue aisle/window seats in Main Cabin).
This is interesting, perhaps as others have suggested it has to do with the RUCs. I can't see the advantage for Delta here, the seeming randomness still says glitch to me, and if not glitch probably something less than sinister.

Have you (or anyone else) actually self-downgraded via the seat map yet? When you do so, does your booking change from WU back to your original coach class? Or can you move back into C+ at any point from there?

I could see a situation where, for example, I book into a main cabin middle, then get a WU upgrade but it's into a window. Then later, main cabin aisle is available and I move there. Later yet again, C+ aisle comes available -- can I re-upgrade myself to that C+ aisle? I had several flights back in the move-about-freely EC days where this exact sequence occurred.

In the new system, if my WU seat is actually released and I'm kicked back to my KLUT fare when I self-downgrade, I could see it quickly being snapped back up by someone else (or just not go back into inventory), and then I'm sitting there having to wait for more WU to be released.

Maybe I'll spend some time trolling the deltapro pages tonight.
I just tried selecting a Main Cabin seat on a WU flight. The fare code changed back to X and it derequested both my C+ and FC upgrade requests. When I rerequested both I was back in WU instantly. This is a far in the future flight though, can't help you with the window questions.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by C W
I just tried selecting a Main Cabin seat on a WU flight. The fare code changed back to X and it derequested both my C+ and FC upgrade requests. When I rerequested both I was back in WU instantly. This is a far in the future flight though, can't help you with the window questions.
Wow, that is interesting and worth noting that if you move back to Y from C+ it will cancel your FC upgrade request!!?? Yikes
Old May 25, 2017, 4:59 pm
C W

Another oddity.

I can use the seatmap to move from RU to Main Cabin, but I cannot see or move to C+. However, if I move from RU to Main Cabin it reverts to the original fare code and then naturally I can move to WU. I can then move into RU again instantly.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C W
This is interesting, perhaps as others have suggested it has to do with the RUCs. I can't see the advantage for Delta here, the seeming randomness still says glitch to me, and if not glitch probably something less than sinister.

Originally Posted by C W
Another oddity.

I can use the seatmap to move from RU to Main Cabin, but I cannot see or move to C+. However, if I move from RU to Main Cabin it reverts to the original fare code and then naturally I can move to WU. I can then move into RU again instantly.
Thanks for the data points! (And risking your RU seat. )
Old May 25, 2017, 8:58 pm
C W

Thanks for the data points! (And risking your RU seat. )
No problem.

My juvenile sadness will never be fully ameliorated that Delta didn't follow the same naming convention with RU as they did with WU
Old May 25, 2017, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by C W
No problem.

My juvenile sadness will never be fully ameliorated that Delta didn't follow the same naming convention with RU as they did with WU
LOL
Old May 25, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
So this just happened for me: I booked a domestic trip tonight for late August. Of course I could see seat availability in all cabins while shopping.

After purchase of main cabin seats (U/T fares) I cannot even see C+ seat availability before selecting UG to C+ (F is all grey too). I am travelling with a base skymiles member. As a PM there isn't a dollar buy up offer to C+ showing.

So I'm supposed to just click 'upgrade to C+" totally blind to what seats we might get? Uhhh, nope! This really, really had better be a glitch.

I've sent a private Tweet to DL with a question about the greyed out seats, with a screen shot. I'm asking them to advise what I do since I can't see seat availability before requesting C+. I'll post an answer if/when it comes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.