Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Old May 20, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I was about to post to say I haven't seen this issue. I've got two domestic itins (8 total segments) in the next two weeks and can see all seats in F/C+/C-.

After reading jamesteroh's post above it seems that it is because they are all connection carriers. Have a TATL in September and we are in F/D1 all DL metal, and can only see the cabin we're ticketed in.

So, more data points.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We first started discussing this seatmap issue a few days ago here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ap-issues.html

It started with new functionality that was rolled out overnight from Wed to Thurs morning that enabled the ability to upgrade individual segments.

As others noted, you can only see the seatmap in the cabin you purchased - except if there is an FCM offer, then you can see everything. My guess is a glitch/side effect, since it really makes no sense why DL would block viewing seats in other cabins. It has no real benefit to them, and it just is an annoyance to pax.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
We first started discussing this seatmap issue a few days ago here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ap-issues.html

It started with new functionality that was rolled out overnight from Wed to Thurs morning that enabled the ability to upgrade individual segments.

As others noted, you can only see the seatmap in the cabin you purchased - except if there is an FCM offer, then you can see everything. My guess is a glitch/side effect, since it really makes no sense why DL would block viewing seats in other cabins. It has no real benefit to them, and it just is an annoyance to pax.
Delta doesn't seem to have an issue with things that don't benefit them but hides data from the customer.

Look at hiding award availability on Expertflyer. Incoveniences the passenger and I don't see how it benefits Delta. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the diamond desk wasting their time trying for find flights with upgrade inventory where if they would have had it on EF still I could have found the flights that had availability with the best schedule and just bought the ticket online and called the diamond desk to have the GU's applied
Old May 20, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by LBJ
Are you sure this not the long-standing issue with domestic continuation flights of international flights? These, along with JFK-SEA/PDX/DEN/LAS/SAN/PHX and flights to Caribbean/Mexico/Central America, all show as ineligible for F upgrades prior to booking due to carrying J/C/I/D/Z fare codes for F. Once you have booked them, they will correctly show as eligible.
Probably this, thank you. Though in this case the domestic flight number continues into a TATL flight.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Delta once again showing that informed customers are not always the customers they want. Of course, as noted throughout the thread, all one needs to do to view the actual seat map is so a dummy booking for the same flights so I can't really see what DL against by this at all. The only case where this doesn't work is if your flight is sold out and thus won't show up in a dummy booking (even if seats are available for selection but remain empty becuase passengers holding tickets haven't selected seats or can't select those seats).
Old May 20, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
CarmenOM, I don't think it's a glitch and GatorBlues, I too am totally annoyed. We should let Delta know. Another example of Delta being less transparent and less customer friendly. With less info, it's a pain to have to go through extra steps to manage your travel.

Prior to booking flights last night for me and my husband, I saw that there were plenty of C+ and first class seats available, so I checked the box for C+ upgrades during the booking process. After booking, there were no C+ upgrades done automatically, so I went online to check the C+ available seats again....and saw they were all grayed out, along with the first class section.

I called Delta elite line and the rep changed our seats to C+. I also spent some time time discussing this negative change and asked him to make my comments known. I asked for a rationale as to the reason for this change and he could offer none.......no possible explanation as to the advantage for this change for either the customer, or Delta. All he could say is yes, there was a programming change and now you won't see seats in C+ or First when your seat is in economy. I guess they don't think we have a need to see that info.
This is idiotic if they are serious. If I cannot see seat availability in other cabins, why would I ever buy up to F? I will not pay money, blind, and then find out there are no window seats left, or only bulkhead.

And here's another stupidity: I'm flying to New Orleans for a major conference in late June. If I wasn't an FTer, I'd think Delta is basically sold out to New Orleans and I'd tell fellow conference-goers not to bother, but to book one of the other airlines "Delta looks nearly sold out!" I'd say, so try SWA or UA. If they use an OTA, they'll se DL availability, this isn't a big impact, but just foolish on their part to even risk it.

Just dumb. And really insulting. I was working towards renewing PM for '18, will make GM in a few weeks but if they don't change this, I'll be much more likely to try another airline for my fall TATL. I'm also going to cold-turkey my AMEX as soon as I hit waiver and not bother for the second MQM bump (iow, 35,000 skypesos AMEX won't have to buy from DL to give to me).

Every damn time I think things have stabilized with this airline and the crap they pull that frustrates Elites, nope, they're not done yet.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:18 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I switched most of my flying to AA for 2016 and it annoyed me that this is what AA does, too.

Sad to see DL doing it too.
Old May 21, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ryanfinger
I waitlisted last week and got the normal dual seat map.
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I have a RUC waitlisted for August and the GUC waitlisted for the domestic leg of the outbound (D1 leg cleared right away). In both cases I get a second seat map, but it is 100% grey in all cabins! Very useful

You'd think it would at least show the cabin I am trying to upgrade into...
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I would bet on the latter.

David
I've asked @Delta and they say I'm good to go.
On my reservation page, it only says: "Manage your upgrades: upgrade waitlisted", near the flight info.
There is no duplicate seatmap and in the summary at the bottom of the page there is no mention of the waitlisted upgrade, only an upgrade to C+ confirmed.

Frankly, this is my first year using RUC's and I've had 2 failures in 3 attempts, in the sense that DL failed to code them properly.
Let's see how it goes this time, but I might go back to picking the $200 certificate. Much less hassle and stress.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Odd

I just checked upcoming flights and I can still see seats in other fare classes (like first), but perhaps that is because there is an upgrade for pay offer.

If this is a new policy, it is a BAD idea on someone's part at Delta.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
I just checked upcoming flights and I can still see seats in other fare classes (like first), but perhaps that is because there is an upgrade for pay offer.

If this is a new policy, it is a BAD idea on someone's part at Delta.
I am experiencing the same thing since I have the upgrade offer.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I just looked at a itin for next week and the week after (on DL.com). I can see all cabin's available seats on each flight by clicking the change seats button...
Old May 21, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I just looked at a itin for next week and the week after (on DL.com). I can see all cabin's available seats on each flight by clicking the change seats button...
I could too, until this morning when I checked in for my flight tomorrow. No upgrade offer anymore and no ability to see seat availability except in C+ where I am currently seated.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles
Question Delta Does Deceit

Originally Posted by John DELTA
This is just a big story...and I have written a full article on this, with a lot of screenshots and information.

But the short version is:

Delta has made the decision to block passengers from seeing seatmaps of cabins they are NOT booked in. Bought a business fare? you cannot see available seats in the main cabin. Bought a main cabin (including Comfort+) fare? Well, you will see the entire business/first class cabin(s) greyed-out as if they were 'sold out.'

As a part of my article I contacted Delta. I actually contacted them a few days ago by email and have never received a reply.

Today I went through Twitter and posted screenshots and asked was this a 'glitch' or 'by design'

After some silence...I got a public reply that everything was as it should be. After pressing, in private, I got an official response that this "Was Not a Glitch" and further in answer why I caould not see available seats in the first class cabin (awaiting my upgrades) Delta responded as follows:

"because you are not in that cabin. You will only see seats in your current booked cabin when you select manage my seats on My trips because that is the seats you are able to manage. For upgrades, you just request it and it will be automatically assigned if cleared. You wont be able to see availability for other cabins under your seat map."

Here is what a seatmap looks like now (and this is a cabin that has ZERO sold seats in first class)

An UPDATE! ExpertFlyer is now working and showing the seatmaps properly. I spoke with them tonight and everything is good on their end. Here was the earlier seatmap from ExpertFlyer...

Now, we can see the seatmap is working:

I would suggest everyone get ExpertFlyer so you can see the information Delta is trying to block from you.

Another negative change that again raises the contentiousness between airlines and passengers. Just when we hoped the scales would tip a little more towards friendlier skies...
Delta is not applying probity when it displays the No. of seats and planes. They NEVER show planes that are FULL.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
I asked for a rationale as to the reason for this change and he could offer none.......no possible explanation as to the advantage for this change for either the customer, or Delta. All he could say is yes, there was a programming change and now you won't see seats in C+ or First when your seat is in economy. I guess they don't think we have a need to see that info.

My first thought was DL probably received so many complaints from stupid people regarding why they weren't able to select an open seat or why the open seat was requesting more money to upgrade, this was DL's solution to fixing the problem.

Originally Posted by Griffin Wright
Perhaps they want to increase upgrade revenue by getting suckers to buy an upgrade and then shove them in a middle seat?
Originally Posted by RaflW
This is idiotic if they are serious. If I cannot see seat availability in other cabins, why would I ever buy up to F? I will not pay money, blind, and then find out there are no window seats left, or only bulkhead.

I guess the question is - do the number of dumb people taking FCM offers outnumber the more enlightened? We will know if the full seatmap returns.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just to pile on another couple data points confirming earlier posts, I have two trips booked currently:
- Trip 1 is in WU and has a FCM offer - I can see all available seats, FC, C+, Preferred Main Cabin, Regular Main Cabin.
- Trip 2 is in WU and has RUCs applied, no FCM offer - I have the RUC double seat map. On the "you may only view" seat map, no seats are available in any cabin; the entire plane is grayed out. On the regular seat map, I can only see available seats in the C+ cabin; everything in FC and Main Cabin is grayed out. Viewing the UG list in the app for this trip shows a great many available seats in both cabins, and the flights are still for sale at K and A fares.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.