Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Another Negative Change by Delta: Blocking Seat Maps for Other Cabins

Old May 20, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I waitlisted last week and got the normal dual seat map.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
Wow! Good to know. I thought my flight next week was full up front.

On a different note, my next trip booked through our corporate travel agency (Concur) is showing the option to pay to move to first on one leg of the itinerary. I have yet to see one of my corporate flights be eligible for FCM (used to see it all the time when buying direct).

The one leg FCM is also something new to me. I've received that type of offer in the app at check in, but never ahead of time.
the one leg is new to me as well.
flying PBI-ATL-MCI next week and it's offering FCM on the ATL-MCI only.

It does show the first seat map on the ATL-MCI portion (currently in C+).

Last edited by apodo77; May 20, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
I have a RUC waitlisted. In the good ole days seeing a duplicate seatmap was evidence the request had been coded correctly.
Now I only see a single seatmap limited to C+. Wondering if it is this new IT, or if the certificate was not applied correctly.
I have a RUC waitlisted for August and the GUC waitlisted for the domestic leg of the outbound (D1 leg cleared right away). In both cases I get a second seat map, but it is 100% grey in all cabins! Very useful

You'd think it would at least show the cabin I am trying to upgrade into...
Old May 20, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
As I noted above, you can now downgrade yourself out of C+ if you don't like your seat. I see little reason to turn off the C+ upgrade option at this point other than in gate upgrade situations.
Here's one reason that I have encountered personally: as GM, select standard economy seat in exit row aisle; at T-72 get auto upgraded to C+, getting the email while in a meeting; a couple of hours later go back to office and log in to find that C+ is actually a middle seat, original seat is taken, and remaining standard economy options are in the middle or in the way back.

Last edited by essexnyc; May 20, 2017 at 2:21 pm Reason: Clarity
Old May 20, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
This happened to me today for the first time, at least first time that I noticed. Please revert, I don't know how this helps DL.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ADLFO
... I don't know how this helps DL.
the cynic in me thinks their rationale is that less visibility of UG potential will "incentivize" people to purchase C+ or FCM at time of booking ... therefore it "helps" the bottom line, and the quest for 80% paid occupancy in F
Old May 20, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by thesaints
I have a RUC waitlisted. In the good ole days seeing a duplicate seatmap was evidence the request had been coded correctly.
Now I only see a single seatmap limited to C+. Wondering if it is this new IT, or if the certificate was not applied correctly.
I would bet on the latter.

David
Old May 20, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Sounds like some of the issues that you and others are experiencing may be due to the fact that it is Schedule Change Saturday --
This should not be related; this occurred a few days ago, and I contacted Delta at the time. They had not responded and so I did some more research and wrote the article. Since the article Delta has contacted me and said 'that is the way it is supposed to be' you should not be able to see seats 'you cannot manage' and 'it's not a glitch.'

Their statements indicate an intent to do this. Again, they did this earlier this week; before a Saturday schedule change and they seem quite content in its result.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
the cynic in me thinks their rationale is that less visibility of UG potential will "incentivize" people to purchase C+ or FCM at time of booking ... therefore it "helps" the bottom line, and the quest for 80% paid occupancy in F
In my blog post I name names...and I bet it is a project of Mr. Glenn and the ROT
Old May 20, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I believe this is exactly what is driving Delta to execute this tweak to their wesbite and mobile app. It fits in with their goal "20X20" to have 20% or less first class seats given away...
Old May 20, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
That's not cynical, you're just thinking like a marketer. The pain is having to make a dummy reservation to check on availability wether it's to help make a RUC decision or dare I say, pay instead of wait and see if your upgrade clears.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
May or may not be related but I have noticed some upgrade eligible flights being listed as "not eligible for upgrade to first class "

Agent I spoke with earlier today agreed the fare is upgrade eligible and was not sure what what happening regarding seat visibility other than to say she'd received other complaints.

Useless and annoying change. :/
Old May 20, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsbh
May or may not be related but I have noticed some upgrade eligible flights being listed as "not eligible for upgrade to first class "

Agent I spoke with earlier today agreed the fare is upgrade eligible and was not sure what what happening regarding seat visibility other than to say she'd received other complaints.

Useless and annoying change. :/
Are you sure this not the long-standing issue with domestic continuation flights of international flights? These, along with JFK-SEA/PDX/DEN/LAS/SAN/PHX and flights to Caribbean/Mexico/Central America, all show as ineligible for F upgrades prior to booking due to carrying J/C/I/D/Z fare codes for F. Once you have booked them, they will correctly show as eligible.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by jfadool
Just a data point, but in the app on Android I am able to see seats in all cabins.

I checked several flights I have booked, all just the same, no issues seeing seats in other cabins.
I have the Android app and they are all grayed out.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have a couple flights coming up on connection carriers and I can see the seat maps on all those flights.

not sure if this is related to the change but I booked an international flight earlier tonight with the diamond desk and used GU's. I went in to select the seats and it wouldn't allow the seat assignments to stick either online or on the app and it required another call to the diamond desk to select them (for some reason they are backed up tonight, both calls I had to leave a call back number and wait 15 minutes).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.