Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam Backup Plan

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by BenA
Fwiw, my experience has been that KL will only put you on their own metal by default. Be prepared to push back and specifically ask for the OK flight, and if the KL agents at the airport refuse, Skype call the Diamond line instead and try your luck with Delta (who should be much more willing to help.)
Had completly different experiences. As long as the issuing carrier allows KLM agents to touch that ticket they generally will work with you.
During IRROPS @AMS and after checking expertflyer for valid alternatives the agents from the ticketing desk put me on KE & MU metal, no questions asked & very efficient.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Not always the case. Last fall I was on a KL ticket (and KL metal) and had a misconnect at AMS. The airport agents very willingly put me on a DL flight instead.

Traveling on a DL award ticket, I assume YMMV.
DL and KL have a joint venture, so all revenue and expenses are shared. OK is outside the JV. FWIW, YMMV, ETC.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
FYI, I have called a couple of times over the years and asked in advance about rebooking when I was worried about a connection, even though it was the routing I decided to book and there had not been a schedule change. Both times I was able to get a supervisor to make a free change to create a longer connection. I did this because I felt that the MCTs were unreasonable and, for whatever reason, the longer connections would just not show up in an online search at all. I called and explained this honestly to the agent and they just made the change after speaking with a supervisor.

This is not something I would abuse, but I do think there are times when it does not hurt to ask. FWIW, I think you will have better luck with them changing the DL metal to an earlier departure than changing the KLM flight.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure DL will rebook you onto the earlier OK flight if KLM has already rebooked you onto their later flight. Usually the rule during IROPs is that you get one rebooking in addition to whatever the computer does automatically.
It's up to the agent but looks like DL is pretty accommodating for involuntary reroutes.

As an example, NYC weather waiver in effect today. This was issued on two days ago (Saturday). I had an Flying Blue award for EWR-ATL-DUS in J.

DL phone lines had more than 60 min wait. I called AF (which is handled by DL) and someone picked up on 10 minutes. She confirmed weather waiver in effect for my itinerary and rebooked me JFK-AMS-DUS with DL over the pond as the KLM JFK-AMS evening flight was fully booked in J.

12 hours after being rebooked, I saw J seats on KLM flight. Called AF/DL back. Agent moved me over to KL transatlantic flight without any hassle. My preference is for flying in J on KL 789 equipment over DL 333.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Ok, we are enroute. Looks like maybe an hour possibly 50 minute connection depending on all the variable factors. Arriving in E, departing B28. Trying to find airport diagrams, really have yet to find it, but is B28 a remote stand or something similar?
Old May 22, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by hsvflyer
Ok, we are enroute. Looks like maybe an hour possibly 50 minute connection depending on all the variable factors. Arriving in E, departing B28. Trying to find airport diagrams, really have yet to find it, but is B28 a remote stand or something similar?
Flight is scheduled to arrive early.

Terminal map for Schiphol. B28 is probably a bus gate.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott
B28 is not remote. On Pier B.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Flight is scheduled to arrive early.

Terminal map for Schiphol. B28 is probably a bus gate.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Well looks like we have an extra 20 minutes or so if everything goes as scheduled. Considering we left Atl 20 minutes late we are doing great. I'm thinking B 28 must be a bus gate also. It's a Kim cityhopper.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
There is an AMS airport map in the Sky magazine in your seat pocket.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Well looks like we have an extra 20 minutes or so if everything goes as scheduled. Considering we left Atl 20 minutes late we are doing great. I'm thinking B 28 must be a bus gate also. It's a Kim cityhopper.
Yes a chunk of Cotyhopper flights are bus gates. Just had one about 4 months ago for ZAG-AMS.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
Trying to do my due diligence just in case.....

Flying next week through AMS on DL 70 arriving at 0550. Connecting KLM to PRG at 0650. Tight to start with, but doable. Traveling on award tickets.

The last 10 days or so, looks like DL 70 is arriving late, 7 times, anywhere from 10-20 minutues up to an hour.

Looking at possibilities in case of a misconnect, OK has a flight at 0925, and the next KLM flight isn't until 1210.

I guess my question, is with an award ticket, if we misconnect, will KLM put us on OK(skyteam member), or wait until the 1210 KLM flight?

Thanks
Did this exact routing in Sept last year. Made the connection after cutting through the customs line ahead of scores of people. My bags, however, didn't arrive until about 18 hours later.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:46 am
Original Member

Anything above B20 is a dual gate. It can be remote or it can be right next to the terminal. YMMV.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Flight arrived a few minutes early so it's pretty safe to presume that the OP made the connection although 46 from JFK was 30 min early at 5:29 and 124 from BOS also early at 5:25. Both of these were at E gates and 70 at an F gate. I'm not sure if they merge for passport control.

OP, have a great time in Prague. Be sure to have dinner at The Little Blue Duck (U Modré Kachničky, Nebovidská, Prague 1, Czechia) Tram stop 2 blocks away.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by seawolf
Anything above B20 is a dual gate. It can be remote or it can be right next to the terminal. YMMV.
Do you mean the gates where the aircraft is parked right there, but there's no jetway, so you walk out into a jetway like thing, walk down the stairs, go outside and walk over the tarmac for maybe 50 meters and then walk up the stairs into the aircraft? It's not much better than a bus gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.