Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy, infant/family seating, and multiple PNRs (oh my)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy, infant/family seating, and multiple PNRs (oh my)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
It is impossible to tell an e-fare on amex travel until you try to get a seat assignment. I always check delta.com first to know the dollar value of the e-fare. Only way to get out of e-fare is to call or book PE.
Yes it is- AMEX Travel populates any flight that offers E-Fares under "economy" for their purposes. It involves a 30+ minute phone call anytime someone wants to book away from it. Their disclaimer is virtually non-existent as well.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then E fares should not be sold to children under age X or to anyone traveling with children under age X. If they want seat aassignments in advance together on the basis of traveling with children, charge them the fare difference. Having children does not entitle you to special benefits for which others must pay.
Would you be OK with a 1 year old sitting right next to you, and the parent several rows away?
Old May 8, 2017, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
As someone who has flown by himself, and with children in the past, I can see both sides to this. My conclusion is as follows:

Delta slightly undercuts itself/other airlines by selling E fares. But if Delta sells two or three E fares to the same traveling group -- as opposed to just one person -- the revenue benefits are far greater (i.e., double for two people, triple for three people, etc., if they were going to fly Spirit were it not for E fares). Therefore it is not revenue-negative to issue them seat assignments, especially at the back of the plane, and even more so if they would have to re-arrange people because it's a 1 year old.

You people who want to fly on a plane with no 1 year old years at all need to charter your own flight.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Then E fares should not be sold to children under age X or to anyone traveling with children under age X. If they want seat aassignments in advance together on the basis of traveling with children, charge them the fare difference. Having children does not entitle you to special benefits for which others must pay.
I think this would start getting into some discrimination practices. I doubt any company wants to go there.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Yes it is- AMEX Travel populates any flight that offers E-Fares under "economy" for their purposes. It involves a 30+ minute phone call anytime someone wants to book away from it. Their disclaimer is virtually non-existent as well.
Isn't that what he said?
Old May 9, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm not one of the "people who do the exact same thing all the time." I've never asked DL to waive a fee for me, although I don't unnecessarily pay them more money than what I owe. I don't buy FCM tickets for cheaper times and plan to SDC onto the flights I want: I purchase a ticket for the flights I plan to take and then occasionally switch to some inter (cheaper or more expensive) flight if my meeting arrives early. The possible exception would be purchasing or picking an award ticket with the domestic connection that's offered after an international arrival, ideally with plenty of time for immigration and customs, and then sometimes trying either to switch in order to get home earlier or to change to a later flight so that I can take a shower and/or avoid having to leave the airport during rush hour. Despite being DM since DL invented the DM level, I've never attempted a coterminal change.

Please don't assume that everybody here tries to break the rules. OTOH, I will accept FF miles and try to use them as appropriate and I will seek upgrades to which I am entitled according to published program rules.
All of the things you listed above are within published rules. Just because you don't use them doesn't mean others are breaking the rules
Old May 9, 2017, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm responding to the criticism (or implicit attack if you wish) in the post I quoted saying that people who use the rules in this way aren't entitled to oppose the family getting seat assignments because the E fare rules say no.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think what this all comes down to are E fares are Evil and should go away.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think this would start getting into some discrimination practices. I doubt any company wants to go there.
Can't it be viewed as discrimination against the elderly (since they generally can't have kids) to give special beneficial treatment to those traveling with children?
Old May 9, 2017, 9:56 am

Folks...this is one of the reasons that Delta doesn't assign 100% of seats before the day of travel.
This gives the GA some flexibility with families, disability seating needs, etc. The person assigning these seats was doing the future GA a favor. Usually, there are at least two complete rows on mainline acft that are blocked just for this circumstance. I'd bet that if forced to wait...the outcome would have been the same. No harm, no foul.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
Well, I'm also the OP, so make of that what you will

The difference is, when I buy a cheap F fare and then try to SDC onto SFO-JFK in D1, I accept the possibility I may have to fly my original itinerary. If I ask about the possibility of a fee waiver I realize I may not get it.

I doubt, if we told my friends, "you have 24B, child #1 has 27A, your mom has 35F, and child #2 is in 16C" that that would be a viable outcome for them, and probably not for any of the travelers around 27A or 16C. (Not that the ages matter but child #2 is less than a year old.)

I'm totally happy for them that they at least got seats together; I'm also a good enough a friend that I'm trying to help them make the trip as smooth as possible (in contrast to the people on the first page who think I should just let them learn a lesson); but at the same time I think I'm viewing this objectively as an issue with people using this as an excuse to save $$.

By the same token, how do you feel about fake emotional support animals, or "miracle flight" pre-boarders? Totally ok with it?
I agree with you and definitely support your efforts to make your friends' trip as smooth as possible. I'd do the same thing. (I don't get why so many on here are basically wishing them ill for buying an E fare.)

My overarching point is that Delta's ticketing system allows people with small children to purchase E fares. It would be to no one's benefit to separate the children from the parents. So, after your friends asked, DL made the smart decision to assign them crappy seats --- but crappy seats together. Win win for all.

If anything, your post poses a very real "loophole" for flyers with small children. I would think that most anyone in your friends' circumstances could purchase E fares and save money and virtually count on being seated together with their children. The seats won't be good, but they'll be together. Unless, DL changes the policy, people in that position are playing within the rules, and I have absolutely no problem with them saving money by buying E fares.

As for fake happiness-inducing puppies and miracle walkers, I'm not OK with them. Those people are liars. They are playing outside the rules by being dishonest. Your friends aren't liars (I hope), so they're good by me.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:23 am

But E fares are sold to people in those circumstances. Unless and until DL changes the policy, OP's friends did nothing wrong. They played within the rules. Zorak has found a loophole for people with small children.

And as for the bolded quote above --- Yes it does. My two children entitle me to special tax benefits every year.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:25 am

I'm not one of the "people who do the exact same thing all the time." I've never asked DL to waive a fee for me, although I don't unnecessarily pay them more money than what I owe. I don't buy FCM tickets for cheaper times and plan to SDC onto the flights I want: I purchase a ticket for the flights I plan to take and then occasionally switch to some inter (cheaper or more expensive) flight if my meeting arrives early. The possible exception would be purchasing or picking an award ticket with the domestic connection that's offered after an international arrival, ideally with plenty of time for immigration and customs, and then sometimes trying either to switch in order to get home earlier or to change to a later flight so that I can take a shower and/or avoid having to leave the airport during rush hour. Despite being DM since DL invented the DM level, I've never attempted a coterminal change.

Please don't assume that everybody here tries to break the rules. OTOH, I will accept FF miles and try to use them as appropriate and I will seek upgrades to which I am entitled according to published program rules.
At no point in my post did I assume that "everyone" tries to "break the rules." Quite to the contrary--- my point is that playing within the known rules and utilizing any loopholes that are not dishonest or illegal is totally fine.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:31 am

Can't it be viewed as discrimination against the elderly (since they generally can't have kids) to give special beneficial treatment to those traveling with children?
No. It can't.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It's not discrimination to provide a necessary accommodation to individuals with a real, specific need. Particularly a need imposed by policies/regulations outside of their control (in this case, the airline or FAA regs requiring kids in car seats to be seated next to an adult caretaker).

Also, there's nothing that prevents elderly people from traveling with children. My mom is well beyond child-rearing age, but she traveled a lot with my niece and nephew (her grandkids) when they were toddlers, and still travels with them pretty frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.