Old May 15, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Tentative schedule:

assume group drinking/eating throughout the weekend

all details subject to change, check back for updates

Friday 8/11:
landside:
Museum Surplus Sale (davetravels, sky303, CaptainMiles)

airside:
afternoon Sky Club crawl as people arrive (flight arrival info below)
dinner at OFS, time still being negotiated
after-drinks somewhere near the airport?

Saturday 8/12:
10am breakfast/brunch at the Hapeville Dwarf House diner side of Chik-Fil-A: https://goo.gl/maps/ij9yFdaxUTJ2
followed by Delta Museum (747 experience opens at noon)
Spondivits for dinner or late night drinks?

Sunday 8/13:
current proposal:
Fat Matt's BBQ 1pm https://goo.gl/maps/2vV7rQ2Yup32
followed by Sweetwater 2:30pm-4:30pm https://goo.gl/maps/nhjmDzS8A9P2
dinner -- ???
nighttime comedy show?

Monday 8/14:
ATL TRACON tour 9am-11am (note, ~25-30 miles sw of ATL airport)
***If you are interested in this please PM me your first/last name as they appear on a government-issued photo ID, as we will need to present these before the tour

carpool/rideshare from downtown somewhere TBD

Confirmed: Zorak, angra, lov2fly, ND76, Canarsie, MSPeconomist, sky303
-----

Interest list: (arrival time on Friday for coordinating Sky Club/dinner)

Zorak (Friday 15:49 DL1865)
gooselee+1
krazykanuck
CMK10
TheLifeOfA_NKCM -really strong maybe.
Angra
CaptainMiles - local (not flying in), need to be guested into SC (can guest into The Club at ATL, if we end up there)
ND76 (8/11/17: DL2604, arrives ATL 1150)
fsuj25 (8/11/17 hopefully around 5:30)
MemphisQueen +1
captaink
Lov2Fly
johnnywho - (Fri 16:24 on AA2255) a. need to be guested in
davetravels - Confirmed - arriving Thurs - overnite in Buckhead / N Druid Hills - anyone else? Then, museum surplus sale Fri AM - Airport meet-up Fri afternoon - then 7:26 PM flight to MEX.
kirkwoodj - Fri 20:55 on UA6104, guessing too late for club crawl/dinner
MSPeconomist (Friday 8/11/17 DL1551 arriving at 4:38 pm)
sky303 - probably will do the surplus sale Friday before the airport
shenanigans. Have club access, but can't guest.
ChiefNWA - have club access but cannot guest. Will fly in for the museum/747 exhibit Sat.
MEMLawGuy - Have short layover in B on 8/11: arriving around 4:30pm departing around 6pm. I do have guest privileges on SC access.
Print Wikipost

ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it all depends on geography for work purposes ... I know I won't be able to make a dedicated trip from the Real Washington, but if I have to be in the Other Washington it's a definite possibility (I have yet to see "my airplane" in the Delta Museum)
Old May 15, 2017, 11:55 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Interested
Old May 15, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
I wanna go! (if schedule works out)
Old May 15, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I should be in Atlanta that weekend. Good reminder to go to the surplus sale. I've been to the museum twice this year, including the inaugural opening on the 747 Experience, and certainly recommend it. Let's find more events to fill the weekend. Porsche Experience anyone?
Old May 15, 2017, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Zorak
Any interest in an ATL get-together? I'll be in ATL from 8/11-8/14 before making my way up to HSV/BNA for the total solar eclipse.

I'm taking a wild guess that there's a concentration of DL forum members in the area and that maybe some of you might even be interested in getting together for drinks/dinner/whatever...

At the moment my rough plan looks like:

8/11 Friday afternoon, for anyone arriving ATL or otherwise willing to finagle their way airside
- Sky Club bar crawl, possibly followed by dinner at OFS (although if it's up to me I've been to OFS a few times and would like to try something else, e.g. I hear good things about Ecco)
- and/or drinks/dinner outside somewhere. If just drinks, probably at the Renaissance Concourse since I'm staying there the first night

(this Friday should also be one of the monthly Surplus Sale days, although that's 9a-2p and "Shipping is not available on Surplus Sale items. This includes aircraft seats and furniture ... All items purchased at the Surplus Sale must be removed on that day.")

8/12 Saturday

- the Delta Museum is open Saturday 10a-4:30p (although it appears the 747 experience may only be open noon-4pm); group tours are possible if there are enough people, or just freestyle it

- thanks to a tip from Robbyb03, I investigated doing a tour of the Atlanta TRACON (A80) (~40 minutes south of the airport in Peachtree City), but the person I spoke with said they normally only do them Mon-Thurs from 9a-11a or 1p-3p

- tours at Hartsfield-Jackson itself are only given Tues-Weds

but maybe some FTers have connections that can help with weekend tours and/or other DL-related activities if we get enough critical mass.

and that's really all I've looked into, aviation-wise. Was going to do some downtown sightseeing Sunday/Monday but open to other suggestions as well.

The Braves are out of town this weekend, FWIW.
Sounds fun, I would be interested I think.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I should be in Atlanta that weekend. Good reminder to go to the surplus sale. I've been to the museum twice this year, including the inaugural opening on the 747 Experience, and certainly recommend it. Let's find more events to fill the weekend. Porsche Experience anyone?
Porsche Experience sounds interesting

https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...center-atlanta

although the booking calendar only goes through July, and it seems they only do tours on Tues/Thurs and the driving experiences are Mon-Fri. What is it with Atlanta and weekends!? Here again I wonder if they would do a group thing on a weekend if we had enough people. I'll send them an email.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:43 pm

although the booking calendar only goes through July, and it seems they only do tours on Tues/Thurs and the driving experiences are Mon-Fri. What is it with Atlanta and weekends!? Here again I wonder if they would do a group thing on a weekend if we had enough people. I'll send them an email.
I've been there twice on the weekends, once with my local 356 group and again with the PCA. A very nice lunch was served. Not sure if we got special access as it was Porsche groups.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The lowest price for individuals is $350.00 for 90 minutes.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:59 pm

Our lunch was here http://www.restaurant356.com/
We did the tour of the facility as well.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Very much like Delta, then, which is fitting for a Delta DO. The lowest price for ATL-BTR is $328.20 for a 93 minute flight. I'll take 90 minutes behind a Porsche wheel over 90 minutes in the back of a CRJ.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I started a Google forms/spreadsheet, which is still crude and non-scientific but slightly more organized than just responses in a thread. This is just to gauge interest for now -- we can do something more structured if warranted as things get closer.

https://goo.gl/forms/6LhN0dro8kKrmpQV2

Please take a few seconds and fill it out! I am assuming there will be interest in food/drinking on other days besides Friday so we'll just take that as given w/o a form response

The web site also mentions some cheaper tours which I would guess are just a walkthrough of the facility, or for $75 includes being driven a lap around the track.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks for setting up the spreadsheet. I've always wanted to do the Porsche Experience. A couple friends have done it and said it was well worth the money if you're into cars at all.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:04 am

Here is link to pic page of our Porsche 356 club 2015 holiday party at Porsche NA headquarters. A lot of repetition in the pics but you can certainly get the feel for what's inside and outside the new headquarters.
http://www.356sog.org/2015-photos.html
Old May 16, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

This may be a fairly niche thing, but I just noticed that the MST3K Live Tour is in Atlanta on the 12th:

http://www.mst3k.com/tour

So I think I know what I'm doing that evening
Old May 18, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
This was the moment when I realized I needed to get out and do stuff with my life.
Over the last few hours I quickly put together a small google site for the DO. Not my best website, especially since it was WYSIWYG but it'll do.

https://sites.google.com/view/atlminido/home

Zorak, if you want me to allow you to edit it, feel free to PM me your email and I'll be more than happy to do so.

..Hopefully, I'll be able to make this one, but again, given my UA like nature in showing upto things can't make any promises

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.