Old May 15, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Tentative schedule:

assume group drinking/eating throughout the weekend

all details subject to change, check back for updates

Friday 8/11:
landside:
Museum Surplus Sale (davetravels, sky303, CaptainMiles)

airside:
afternoon Sky Club crawl as people arrive (flight arrival info below)
dinner at OFS, time still being negotiated
after-drinks somewhere near the airport?

Saturday 8/12:
10am breakfast/brunch at the Hapeville Dwarf House diner side of Chik-Fil-A: https://goo.gl/maps/ij9yFdaxUTJ2
followed by Delta Museum (747 experience opens at noon)
Spondivits for dinner or late night drinks?

Sunday 8/13:
current proposal:
Fat Matt's BBQ 1pm https://goo.gl/maps/2vV7rQ2Yup32
followed by Sweetwater 2:30pm-4:30pm https://goo.gl/maps/nhjmDzS8A9P2
dinner -- ???
nighttime comedy show?

Monday 8/14:
ATL TRACON tour 9am-11am (note, ~25-30 miles sw of ATL airport)
***If you are interested in this please PM me your first/last name as they appear on a government-issued photo ID, as we will need to present these before the tour

carpool/rideshare from downtown somewhere TBD

Confirmed: Zorak, angra, lov2fly, ND76, Canarsie, MSPeconomist, sky303
-----

Interest list: (arrival time on Friday for coordinating Sky Club/dinner)

Zorak (Friday 15:49 DL1865)
gooselee+1
krazykanuck
CMK10
TheLifeOfA_NKCM -really strong maybe.
Angra
CaptainMiles - local (not flying in), need to be guested into SC (can guest into The Club at ATL, if we end up there)
ND76 (8/11/17: DL2604, arrives ATL 1150)
fsuj25 (8/11/17 hopefully around 5:30)
MemphisQueen +1
captaink
Lov2Fly
johnnywho - (Fri 16:24 on AA2255) a. need to be guested in
davetravels - Confirmed - arriving Thurs - overnite in Buckhead / N Druid Hills - anyone else? Then, museum surplus sale Fri AM - Airport meet-up Fri afternoon - then 7:26 PM flight to MEX.
kirkwoodj - Fri 20:55 on UA6104, guessing too late for club crawl/dinner
MSPeconomist (Friday 8/11/17 DL1551 arriving at 4:38 pm)
sky303 - probably will do the surplus sale Friday before the airport
shenanigans. Have club access, but can't guest.
ChiefNWA - have club access but cannot guest. Will fly in for the museum/747 exhibit Sat.
MEMLawGuy - Have short layover in B on 8/11: arriving around 4:30pm departing around 6pm. I do have guest privileges on SC access.
Print Wikipost

ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

Old May 18, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Reminder to folks who have expressed interest upthread to please fill out the form (it's very quick) to help give a vague idea of numbers:

https://goo.gl/forms/6LhN0dro8kKrmpQV2

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
This was the moment when I realized I needed to get out and do stuff with my life.
Over the last few hours I quickly put together a small google site for the DO. Not my best website, especially since it was WYSIWYG but it'll do.

https://sites.google.com/view/atlminido/home

Zorak, if you want me to allow you to edit it, feel free to PM me your email and I'll be more than happy to do so.

..Hopefully, I'll be able to make this one, but again, given my UA like nature in showing upto things can't make any promises
Changing your handle to TheNoLifeOfA_NKCM?

Seriously, thanks ^ hope to see you there!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Zorak
Reminder to folks who have expressed interest upthread to please fill out the form (it's very quick) to help give a vague idea of numbers:

Changing your handle to TheNoLifeOfA_NKCM?

Seriously, thanks ^ hope to see you there!
Haha, you know at some points I think I should.

I hope. We'll see how things go. I'm always busy it seems

Oh and of course, it was my pleasure. If you want to tinker with the site a little bit too. Don't hesitate to ask
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thread bump:

We have a small handful of responses, and nonzero interest in the TRACON tour on a Monday so I'll ping the contact there again.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any interest in an ATL get-together? I'll be in ATL from 8/11-8/14 before making my way up to HSV/BNA for the total solar eclipse.
Are you driving or flying up to BNA? I'd guess flying, but just checking.

I'm definitely interested though. Will fill out your Google form too.

Punching at Delta.com, looks like the most cost effective for me would be to fly in and out of ATL and then rent a car to drive up to BNA, drive back to ATL Monday afternoon, and fly back to IAH Monday night.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jun 10, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Are you driving or flying up to BNA? I'd guess flying, but just checking.

I'm definitely interested though. Will fill out your Google form too.
I thought you already filled it out

For the eclipse I'm doing this package thing (I booked a similar package via the same company to KOA in 2012 for the transit of Venus) including the pre-extension visit to Marshall Space Flight Center, so I have a one-way rental from ATL to HSV (with a planned overnight in CHA). Then flying from BNA back to SFO.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I thought you already filled it out
Nope. I definitely looked at the thread at some point in the last month though! I'm starting a new job on Monday, so I'm trying to minimize time off for the immediate future, but I bet I can sneak away for a long weekend in a couple months.

I also humbly suggest something from this list if we get thirsty on Saturday or Sunday: https://atlanta.eater.com/maps/best-...ies-craft-beer
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Nope. I definitely looked at the thread at some point in the last month though! I'm starting a new job on Monday, so I'm trying to minimize time off for the immediate future, but I bet I can sneak away for a long weekend in a couple months.
Hmm, there's definitely a prior entry in the responses spreadsheet with your FT handle on it!

I also humbly suggest something from this list if we get thirsty on Saturday or Sunday: https://atlanta.eater.com/maps/best-...ies-craft-beer
I'd just assumed that at some point we'd end up at Sweetwater and/or whatever other watering holes the locals would recommend.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hmm, there's definitely a prior entry in the responses spreadsheet with your FT handle on it!
Impersonators Or I'm just forgetful, since I didn't make a corresponding post in the thread.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
We're connecting through ATL on the 11th on our way to see the eclipse out west. So, could meet up wherever folks are (although my SkyClub membership has lapsed as there's simply no point living in Europe). Would still be good to see old / new faces on our 3 hour layover if we can make it work. We're there local time 2:30 - 6pm on the 11th.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Thread bump:

We have a small handful of responses, and nonzero interest in the TRACON tour on a Monday so I'll ping the contact there again.
I filled it out yesterday, great ideas. On second thought if any of the ideas end up happening on Monday I may take the day off and partake!

I'd just assumed that at some point we'd end up at Sweetwater and/or whatever other watering holes the locals would recommend.[/QUOTE]
Did you know The Porter and Brick Store are two of the best beer bars in the southeast according to a national beer publication? I don't think it was beer advocate but I can't remember which. In any event, depending on the will of the group we can definitely come up with options!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

There any movement on any of the other activities? I should probably book this sooner rather than later
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Based on the spreadsheet responses it seems quite likely there will be some form of Sky Club crawl followed by dinner at OFS on Friday, and interest in the Delta Museum on Saturday. Also I think we have enough interest in the A80 TRACON tour for Monday, but I haven't heard back from my contact there yet. I would pencil that in though.

If any DL employees are lurking and would like to set up something fun for us on Sunday that would be nice too
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Is there a list of attendees somewhere? Did I just miss it?

Anyway, I just came across the thread and I might make it down from NYC over the weekend. I could possibly come down from Fri until Sun evening.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnnywho
Is there a list of attendees somewhere? Did I just miss it?

Anyway, I just came across the thread and I might make it down from NYC over the weekend. I could possibly come down from Fri until Sun evening.
Not as such, just the interest form. But now that we have some momentum maybe it's time to transfer that into the wiki.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Thanks a lot Zorak (and all the others) for organizing this mini-do!

I haven't quite decided yet whether I can fit it into my schedule or not, but I guess you can put me down as a strong maybe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.