Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FT: "Pax Considering Lawsuit Against Delta Over Onboard Sexual Assault"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

FlyerTalk:

The attorney for a woman who was groped and assaulted on a Delta Airlines flight last summer blames the airline for allowing the perpetrator’s behavior to escalate dramatically during the trip.

Forty-one-year-old Christopher Finkley will spend time in jail after pleading guilty to charges that he exposed himself, masturbated in public view and groped a nearby passenger on a Delta Airlines flight from Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR) to Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW). Now, attorney Gerald Acker says his client may sue the airline for allowing her to be terrorized by Finkley, despite clear warning signs that he was a danger to other passengers.

Acker contends that even after Finkley was caught exposing himself and masturbating, he was left unattended. The lawyer says that Finkley was then free to grab the thigh of the victim he represents. According to court records, the aggressive passenger at one point even placed his hand under the woman’s shorts as she pleaded for him to stop.

“Rather than telling anybody, they allow this predator to move to the back of the airplane and assault a passenger,” Acker told The Detroit Free Press “It’s our understanding they didn’t have any policies to deal with any incidents like this. That’s what their representation has been – which is hard to believe.”

After he was initially caught pleasuring himself, Finkley reportedly moved from the first class cabin to the rear of the plane where he assaulted the female passenger ... The victim who does not want to be identified was too distraught to give a statement to police when Finkley was originally taken into custody by police upon landing at DTW.

The family is said to have been offered a combination of SkyMiles and travel vouchers in the wake of the traumatic incident.

“My guess is that in the next few weeks, we’ll be filing a lawsuit,” Acker told the newspaper. The attorney declined to specify the amount of damages they would seek but indicated that the dollar amount would be “enough to make sure that when predators are on airplanes that they remember who they are, and that they don’t allow them to roam through an airplane.”
Can we discuss this here? What tortious claims does the passenger have against an airline when another passenger assaults him/her? Does the airline have a duty of care to physically protect one passenger from another passenger?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:52 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
After he was initially caught pleasuring himself . . . . .
Heavens to Betsy!!!

offered a combination of SkyMiles and travel vouchers
Heavens to B-B-B-Betsy!!!!!!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
This will be settled out of court, the attorney will take home most of the undisclosed payout and we will never hear of it again.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Widgets
... Does the airline have a duty of care to physically protect one passenger from another passenger?
How does the pre-flight catechism go? "Our first priority is your safety....", or something like that.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Could they not have handcuffed him and moved him to the back?

Why let him sit with his hands free?

This is bad.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
How does the pre-flight catechism go? "Our first priority is your safety....", or something like that.
Offering safety instructions is different than physical protection, I think. Flight attendants aren't required to physically drag someone off an evacuating flight--they're only supposed to direct them to the nearest exit. There's a line between safety guide and physical protector. I wonder if airlines are required to physically intervene, which would put FAs at risk of physical harm.

For violent passengers at the gate, GAs are supposed to leave the area, and only take other passengers with them if doing so doesn't jeopardize their own safety.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Offering safety instructions is different than physical protection, I think. Flight attendants aren't required to physically drag someone off an evacuating flight--they're only supposed to direct them to the nearest exit. There's a line between safety guide and physical protector. I wonder if airlines are required to physically intervene, which would put FAs at risk of physical harm.

For violent passengers at the gate, GAs are supposed to leave the area, and only take other passengers with them if doing so doesn't jeopardize their own safety.
Well, as long as the FA's themselves aren't being sexually assaulted.

"Stop molesting that woman or I'll ask you to stop molesting her again!"

But no, really, physical restraint should NOT be the default action. Report, but it's not their job to play police.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
Well, as long as the FA's themselves aren't being sexually assaulted.

"Stop molesting that woman or I'll ask you to stop molesting her again!"

But no, really, physical restraint should NOT be the default action. Report, but it's not their job to play police.
Passengers who are unruly, drunk, abusive or otherwise violent towards co-passengers get restrained all the time - even if that requires help of other passengers. I have myself witnessed FAs taking charge in such a situation and solicit help from co-passengers to restrain a person.
This clearly looks like a training opportunity for the FA involved.

Even if not restrained, once a lewd behavior is observed, culprit should be moved back and all passengers should be cleared from that row and if nowhere to move then atleast re arrange seating so that there is no passenger of opposite sex near the culprit.
In my book if the events occurred as described then this is a Delta fail.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
FlyerTalk:

Can we discuss this here? What tortious claims does the passenger have against an airline when another passenger assaults him/her? Does the airline have a duty of care to physically protect one passenger from another passenger?
This is an alleged case of negligence. The question is whether the conduct or actions causing the harm to the customer were "reasonably foreseeable" by DL and whether DL had notice that such conditions existed or were likely to exist. Given that the passenger was observed by airline personnel doing such actions prior to the assault on the other passenger, I think DL would face liability in a jury setting. Remember, a jury would decide this in a civil ($$$) context, and juries aren't going to have much sympathy for airlines these days.

Originally Posted by tkey75
This will be settled out of court, the attorney will take home most of the undisclosed payout and we will never hear of it again.
This is utterly false. Attorneys are both legally and ethically limited on the amount/percentage of a client's award that they can take as a contingent fee. No one gets a 50%+ fee.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
This is an alleged case of negligence. The question is whether the conduct or actions causing the harm to the customer were "reasonably foreseeable" by DL and whether DL had notice that such conditions existed or were likely to exist. Given that the passenger was observed by airline personnel doing such actions prior to the assault on the other passenger, I think DL would face liability in a jury setting. Remember, a jury would decide this in a civil ($$$) context, and juries aren't going to have much sympathy for airlines these days.

This is utterly false. Attorneys are both legally and ethically limited on the amount/percentage of a client's award that they can take as a contingent fee. No one gets a 50%+ fee.
The foreseeable cause is easier to argue than establishing duty of care. A written contract doesn't exist that claims Delta will physically protect one passenger from another passenger, and I don't think a law exists either. Before deciding whether the passenger's actions were foreseeable, did Delta even have a duty of care to the assault victim to physically protect her (i.e. use physical force against the defendant)?
Old May 1, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
The foreseeable cause is easier to argue than establishing duty of care. A written contract doesn't exist that claims Delta will physically protect one passenger from another passenger, and I don't think a law exists either. Before deciding whether the passenger's actions were foreseeable, did Delta even have a duty of care to the assault victim to physically protect her (i.e. use physical force against the defendant)?
A duty of care can arise when a foreseeable risk presents itself and the company has notice of the risk. (At least that is what I would argue from the vicitim-passenger standpoint.) Ignore the written contract aspect. Contract has nothing to do with common law tort.

Think of it in a slip and fall context. The grocery store doesn't have a duty of care to prevent customers from negligent/aggressive acts of other customers --- however, it does have a duty to protect customers from conditions that they know or reasonably should know could cause harm to a customer.

That is where DL arguably failed in this one. If the staff knew that the offending passenger presented a foreseeable risk of harm to another passenger and took no measures to prevent that foreseeable harm from occurring, I could see how a jury (and the law) could reasonably hold DL liable.

DL's best and only defense would be that it had no reasonable means of preventing the harm from occurring, despite knowing the risk was there. They would have to convince a jury that there was no place else to reasonably and safely put the offending passenger (or otherwise reasonably and safely restrain him) that could have "more likely than not" prevented the harm from occurring.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did they really boot him out of First for playing with himself but thought steerage passengers wouldn't mind?
Old May 1, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy

No, but in the name of ethics, it's also fair to mention it's often the fee (yes, <50%) - plus litigation expenses.

But that's not the topic here.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Did they really boot him out of First for playing with himself but thought steerage passengers wouldn't mind?
Freedom from molestation is a Trip Extra that she evidently did not purchase
Old May 1, 2017, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Freedom from molestation is a Trip Extra that she evidently did not purchase
Priceless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.