Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pilot hits passenger during fight

Delta pilot hits passenger during fight

Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I thought that ATL airport owned the jetways. However DL gets some preferential use gates and some gates as long as they're the first to ask. Although this could be totally wrong, just what I thought I understood to be the case.
DL leases them from the city and is thus responsible for their maintenance and upkeep.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm no saint but what the heck is wrong with people these days?
That list would be longer than this thread will ever be!!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Kudos to the pilot.

I suggest that the quality of the video is such that it is not possible to see what the one piece of trash did to the pilot to prompt his response.

For example, if I were trying to separate two fighters and one of them bit me, my response would not be gentle.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope that both miscreants end up on the DL No-fly list.

In fact, I would suggest that it is about time that all of the US airlines pool their no-fly lists.

Why should anyone who displays this sort of behavior be able to board any airline anywhere in the future?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
During f-i-g-h-t, not flight.
Is it just me or are some folks getting their fight-or-flight instincts backwards?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
The pilot needs to be applauded. Too many folks are indifferent these days and that's not a good thing
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I suggest that the quality of the video is such that it is not possible to see what the one piece of trash did to the pilot to prompt his response.
While it may not have been their best days, I am not sure trash would be the correct description of humans.

As far as commenting on the situation without name-calling, the pilot should not have gotten involved physically, regardless of whether he was provoked.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by STS-134
This is a non story, except for the fact that yet another moron can't learn to take video in landscape mode.
underrated comment
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
While it may not have been their best days, I am not sure trash would be the correct description of humans.

As far as commenting on the situation without name-calling, the pilot should not have gotten involved physically, regardless of whether he was provoked.
Agree. DL may be songing praise right now. However when the inevitable lawsuit is filed i doubt they'll be as happy. Also i havent seen the video. However inless he was personally attacked he could be looking at charges if the ladies choose to press it. Slapping someone is assault.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I bartended my way through six years of college and can tell you...There is nothing worse than a cat fight (that's a 'girl vs. girl' fight for you non-Americans).

Half the time, if a male bouncer tried to break up the fight or get them outside, both women would turn on him! (And then promptly go back to hair pulling).
If he did manage to get the women apart, one would invariably start crying and pointing at him, saying 'he hit me' as loud and as often as possible until some other dude (who wasn't present for the actual altercation) gets his alcohol-powered chivalry into top gear and goes after the bouncer. (Similar to what we saw on the United baby stroller incident...Except with drunken 22 year olds).

Fortunately for me, my bartending was in the late 1990s, and the "big hair" fashion trend was long gone with the college-age Caucasian women. This prevented them from getting solid grips on each other's heads, and were easier to get apart. But 'big weaves' were popular with the black girls, and once they got ahold of each other's weaves, somebody was going to leave with a scalp!

I quickly learned to be on the lookout for any woman taking her earrings off. That was a sure sign she was planning on getting into a scrap, and to get security involved before it began.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Couldn't agree more. But at least in the States, airlines advertise the Premium experience but sell steerage. The dissonance between travel as advertised and travel as experienced sends some people off. This applies to life at large in America. The image of the American lifestyle presented in advertising (particularly) is so at odds with the reality that many Americans live through each day, the dissonance sends some people over the edge eventually.
I agree that the attitude is there. Some people seem to just expect upgrades etc. I always travel by something near to the cheapest ticket, and I'm very satisfied with the service I get. I'm not sure where all these bad attitudes come from.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I hope that both miscreants end up on the DL No-fly list.

In fact, I would suggest that it is about time that all of the US airlines pool their no-fly lists.

Why should anyone who displays this sort of behavior be able to board any airline anywhere in the future?
You want to give even more power to crazy power-hungry crew? Under your suggestion, if someone has an innocent run-in with some out-of-control FA, that person could never work again in any job requiring travel.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:14 am

The problem IMHO is not just airports, it is humanity (at least in the USA) in general, we tolerate more than we ever have before and we have let our standards down to a point where stuff like the fight is ok if it happens.

While working in the ER treating a stabbing victim involved in a gang fight, some of the gang members came in to be with the gang member I am guessing. In the waiting room they got into it with rival gang members waiting for their member who was being treated by a different MD.

Nobody seemed to understand that they were in a hospital and a certain level of decorum is required. When a nurse asked them to be quiet, F this and F that and I had enough and asked the Police Officer to step in and only after cuffing two of them did they settle down.

The pilot did nothing wrong it seems, I myself might have simply called the Police and reported a fight to avoid and liability, but the Pilot felt differently and who am I to question his judgement.

Last edited by kmersh; May 2, 2017 at 9:25 am Reason: To add a missing "A" and correct then to them
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I think part of the prolem is trying to tell "how ugly is this going to get and how fast is it going to get there". There's an old saying that when seconds matter, help is only minutes away, and I can imagine that the pilot either (A) not being thrilled at the idea of mall cops swooping down the ramp on their segways in ten minutes or (B) being overly in mind of the CAD's screwup on that UA flight and at least not wanting that to happen here.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You want to give even more power to crazy power-hungry crew? Under your suggestion, if someone has an innocent run-in with some out-of-control FA, that person could never work again in any job requiring travel.
Clearly, there should be some sort of due process involved.

My point is that our society is moving to a state where there is less and less accountability for personal actions.

I do not appreciate the slide towards the increased chaos that comes with the coarsening of society.

Originally Posted by kmersh
The problem IMHO is not just airports, it is humanity (at least in the USA) in general, we tolerate more than we ever have before and we have let our standards down to a point where stuff like the fight is ok if it happens.

^^^ Precisely

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.