Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta deplaned us in a hanger at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It's a shame some people think the worst when anything irregular happens. When we parked at the maintenance base at LAX I just assumed that all of the gates were full with RON planes and this was the only place to disembark. A security threat was the furthest thing from my mind. It's LAX, nothing ever goes as planned and it comes to gate assignments.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by ND76
While connecting at LAX yesterday morning, I saw passengers going down permanent stairs from a glass door in T6 to a waiting white bus with Delta marked on the side; this must connect them with wherever certain flights were being staged.

With runway 7L/25R out of commission right now, LAX is a nightmare; the worst thing about connecting is not knowing when your plane will finish taxiing. On Monday night, we taxied about 30 minutes after landing on the wrong side of the airport on 24R. Yesterday morning, my flight from LAS also landed on 24R, taxied almost out to the dunes separating the airport from the ocean, then slowly worked its way to the "right side" of the airport before parking at gate 54B, 15 minutes of taxiing.

If you are going someplace where LAX is a possible connecting point, and you haven't booked your ticket yet, I would advise using SLC or some other place to connect; LAX is an absolute mess, and it is going to get worse as the terminal swap gets going in earnest.

The current runway construction is not supposed to end until sometime in June, 2017; however, presumably, once Delta gets on the north side of LAX, the taxiing issue presumably should go away.
I have a connecting flight on Thursday at LAX. Is there a lot of delays with one of the runway out of commission?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Does anyone know whether has Delta changed the MCT in LAX, due to the changes taking place? I have a flight next month connecting in LAX, and I'm thinking of trying to get it switched to SLC..
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
Does anyone know whether has Delta changed the MCT in LAX, due to the changes taking place? I have a flight next month connecting in LAX, and I'm thinking of trying to get it switched to SLC..
New Times where loaded awhile back effective for travel May 13 or so and after.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
I will be the first admit this adds absolutely no value to the conversation, but aircraft maintenance and storage are performed in a HANGAR ... in the closet your coat is on a HANGER
People these days have no standards.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
Originally Posted by flyerCO
New Times where loaded awhile back effective for travel May 13 or so and after.
According to EF, on 12 May MCT changes from 35 to 40 minutes for D-D, and 35 to 45 minutes for D-I.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Were you on a flight from Seattle Monday evening? We landed on 24R Monday evening and sat/taxied for exactly 30 min before we finally pulled into the gate.
It was the "inaugural flight" from DCA; we touched down on 24R at 2045, but didn't start deplaning at gate 68B until at least 2115.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
It was the "inaugural flight" from DCA; we touched down on 24R at 2045, but didn't start deplaning at gate 68B until at least 2115.
Ah. I was on 1960 from SEA. We landed at 6:46 PM per flightaware. We pulled into the gate at 7:20 pm (so actually 34 minutes spent taxiing/sitting on the taxiway).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Thanks for the prompt responses.. my flight is on May 12.. I have over an hour, so it's not too bad..
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:28 pm

I took An AA flight last Monday, the 6AM out of JFK to LAX. We landed about 40 minutes early (everyone knows they pad the scheduled flight way over the top) but taxied around the airport over 90 minutes before the pilot got us into a gate. Pilot didn't come on the microphone for over an hour after we began taxiing.

That was my second ugly LAX experience in a month. IMHO, that airport is an irreconcilable mess. They don't have enough gates for the flights they're trying to cram into the place, certainly at peak times. The taxiway shared by DL and AA for pushing back is especially vulnerable. One glitch in a push back in places like that, and the place really falls apart.

I will not fly in or out of LAX for the foreseeable future. It is bound up way too tight with over-scheduling and lack of gates. Not worth it.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:41 pm

Does the Flight Status on Flight Aware and DL.Com show HNGR1 as the gate LOL
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Sounds like LAX needs slot restrictions.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:24 am

Had the same thing flying the first morning flight LAX-SFO in the second week of March; my gate was 60P and we had to get onto those white Delta marked buses to a remote stand. Very entertaining ground crew though so all was good. At that time the -P gates did not even show on the terminal screens, so lots of confusion amongst passengers. Ground crew noted at the time that it was a new procedure due to capacity problems, so that is probably still the case.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Two or three (or four) years ago I was brought to a remote part of the airport at LAX where they had buses waiting for us twice in a month. I believe there was a building near there also. According to the PA announcement, this was SOP when no gates are available. In fact, I think there was a thread about it on here at the time.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
This has been happening ever since in January when DL temporarily swapped a few gates in T5 for a few more in T6. SFO, SEA, DEN, and a few others are using previously AA gates in T6, but because most, if not all of the flights using them are DL Connection carriers, it's not uncommon that they're heavily delayed and the gates are being used by DL mainline or AS. Supposedly, this was supposed to help transition with the big terminal move coming up, though I'm guessing it's probably benefitting AA's operation more than DL.

This has at least been my case in the few times I've flown LAX-DEN-LAX in the last few months. A few weeks ago, the inbound plane from DEN was delayed by about four hours. The passengers disembarked remotely, while we waited for an AS 737 to depart for DL to tow our E175 in. On the return a few days later, the plane was sure enough delayed again, so we disembarked *near* the hangar next to Sepulveda. It was definitely not the Eagle's nest.

Annoying, sure, but then again, what isn't annoying about the entire LAX experience anyway...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.