Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Random Question about RUC Clearing at Gate & SDC

Random Question about RUC Clearing at Gate & SDC

Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Random Question about RUC Clearing at Gate & SDC

Hi All,

If I were to waitlist using a RUC and it clears at the gate, is it possible for me to SDC to another flight -- like one that departs later in the evening? Or, is this not possible? I ask because I may be in a situation where I may need to join a colleague for a conference call with other clients -- except that my colleague is flying on a flight a couple of hours later. Obviously I don't want to waste my RUC, and changing my itinerary would be cost prohibitive.

Does anyone have any insight about any type of policy that prohibits this? Or, can I just call the DM desk (if and once my RUC clears) and tell them to put me on a flight that departs a couple of hours later?

Thanks all!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since it is clearing at the gate, there is a risk that your RUC gets consumed then. You can SDC but you'd likely need your coach bucket to be available on the new flight to do that, since you aren't confirmed upgraded in advance. When the RUC clears at the airport you clear into the medallion upgrade bucket RU/OU and not RP/OP so your ticket doesn't get reissued, so you can't SDC directly into F on another flight.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Yeah, I wouldn't count on this. You're basically at the mercy that the GA takes mercy and considered it a paid FC seat. DM line may not be able to help you as your PNR would be under gate control.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Since it is clearing at the gate, there is a risk that your RUC gets consumed then. You can SDC but you'd likely need your coach bucket to be available on the new flight to do that, since you aren't confirmed upgraded in advance. When the RUC clears at the airport you clear into the medallion upgrade bucket RU/OU and not RP/OP so your ticket doesn't get reissued, so you can't SDC directly into F on another flight.
I thought that RUC pulls out of RP/OP bucket no matter when the the UG clears. This is interesting...
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Assuming you can't simply SDC to the later flight based on fare bucket availability...

You can always SDS for the later flight (you mention DM line so I assume you are GM+). You can request the SDS in the same time frame as the SDC. You will be at the top of the list. This is a riskier option, but assuming the flight isn't COMPLETELY full the risk is pretty slight.

I've done this a few times, always after talking to an agent and having them tell me what the standby list looked like and how many seats it showed available. Hasn't bitten me ... yet.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I thought that RUC pulls out of RP/OP bucket no matter when the the UG clears. This is interesting...
It does still clear into OP/RP, if coded properly. But the post you're responding to is correct that the ticket will not be reissued, which I understand to be the key that allows you to access the premium cabin SDC policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.