RUC Question re: C+

Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Question RUC Question re: C+

I applied an RUC to my JFK - SFO flight tomorrow (was waitlisted) and appear on the upgrade list for D1, but I do not appear on the C+ upgrade list (I SDCed onto an earlier flight with no C+ available).

I called three different times to ensure the RUC was applied properly and asked each time why I wasn't on the C+ upgrade list. They stated that I was and that all is fine with the reservation.

Anyone have experience with this? I've read horror stories on FT about people's RUCs being taken off the D1 upgrade list after being upgraded to C+, so just want to be extra cautious and learn from anyone who might have been in this situation before!

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Edit - misread. That's fine. Just call back if it's looking like an impossible upgrade and have them put you back on the C+ list
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If C+ "upgrade" space WU is available, the "upgrade" should clear immediately after you check the box for the "upgrade" to C+.

However, I suspect that in the OP's case, ther problem is that a free elite upgrade and an instrument supported upgrade cannot be requested simultaneously; you must pick either the free elite upgrades or elect to use miles/GUCs/RUCs. Hence, I *suspect* that applying the RUC means that you cannot ask for a free elite upgrade, even if only to C+, for tghe same direction of your itinerary. You could remove the RUC request, wait until your C+ clears assuming that C+ "upgrades" are currently available, and then reapply the RUC a hour or so later, but this would reset the time stamp for your request, something you might not wish to do.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick responses!

I think you're right MSP! It looks like C+ is sold out for the flight, so I didn't clear automatically after booking. I don't want to push this too hard, since I've heard that some folks get removed from the First upgrade list when they are "upgraded" to C+. If it's looking like I won't make D1 I'll ask the Sky Club folks to add me to the C+ list.

Wish me luck!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just make sure that any C+ upgrade doesn't consume a RUC. On certain international flights, it can easily happen: apply a GUC and C+ is available, then if D1 upgrades open up later, DL will ask for a second GUC. This is supposedly the new DL policy, especially as premium economy cabins are introduced as not only a separate fare class (W, WP, etc.) but also a separate cabin class.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up! This is just JFK - SFO on an old 767, so if they try to burn and RUC to get me into a C+ seat (especially a middle!!) I'll be really upset!

Thanks again and safe travels!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just make sure that any C+ upgrade doesn't consume a RUC. On certain international flights, it can easily happen: apply a GUC and C+ is available, then if D1 upgrades open up later, DL will ask for a second GUC. This is supposedly the new DL policy, especially as premium economy cabins are introduced as not only a separate fare class (W, WP, etc.) but also a separate cabin class.
RUC does not upgrade to C+ The policy you're thinking of involves GUC and upgrades to PS/D1. If you apply one to get PS then want to goto D1 it requires another GUC. Nothing has changed in regards to RUC/C+, which C+ isn't even on planes that will have PS.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.