Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

11-hour overnight delay - compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive

Hi everyone! Our fight from Orlando to Indianapolis tonight has been delayed almost 11 hours. Instead of leaving at 6:54 pm, we are delayed until 5:30 am tomorrow. Delta says this is due to "crew rest" issues. Delta gave us a room for the night but ticketing agents refused any other compensation (vouchers or food) and said we must submit a claim via the website. Normally, I wouldn't ask for compensation on a delay but 11 hours is extreme and I feel we are entitled to something. Any advice on what to ask for or what may be offered? Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:11 pm

Try a $200 voucher?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:52 am

My wife and I were also on this flight. We also got vouchers for a hotel. I got a call at 9:00pm from a DL rep saying we would both receive a check for $100 for (I believe) meals and incidentals. As for other compensation, he advised us to call some sort of customer care next day. Shorty thereafter my wife received an email saying she was going to get 7,500 sky miles added to her account. I got no email.

Additionally, in comparing notes while finally on the flight, several couples did not get hotel vouchers, and most did not get any sky miles. Is it common for different passengers to get offered different compensation? And isn't the 7,500 sky miles only really worth about $100? That seems awfully low for an overnight delay.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travisb
My wife and I were also on this flight. We also got vouchers for a hotel. I got a call at 9:00pm from a DL rep saying we would both receive a check for $100 for (I believe) meals and incidentals. As for other compensation, he advised us to call some sort of customer care next day. Shorty thereafter my wife received an email saying she was going to get 7,500 sky miles added to her account. I got no email.

Additionally, in comparing notes while finally on the flight, several couples did not get hotel vouchers, and most did not get any sky miles. Is it common for different passengers to get offered different compensation? And isn't the 7,500 sky miles only really worth about $100? That seems awfully low for an overnight delay.
Airlines generally and DL in particular tend to base their "apologies" not only on status but also on the cabin class or fare class that was booked. A DM multiMM 360 elite traveling on a FULL F ticket gets the most while the person without a SkyMiles or partner FF number using a E class basic economy ticket gets the least.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:31 am

Additionally, in comparing notes while finally on the flight, several couples did not get hotel vouchers, and most did not get any sky miles. Is it common for different passengers to get offered different compensation?
Do you have status with DL?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I got a call at 9:00pm from a DL rep saying we would both receive a check for $100 for (I believe) meals and incidentals.
Both receive a check for $100, each receive a check for $100 or both receive checks for $100?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't use the word "compensation" to intermingle two different concepts here and you will be better off:

First, DL already told you to submit a claim relating to the food issue. I would submit that claim. Be specific and be reasonable. DL will have set limits, so it really doesn't matter what you submit, but the better you do this, the better off you are.

Second, if you are talking about the hassle of being delayed, as you can see, others on your flight are already receiving what amounts to a customer service gesture. DL has no obligation to do this. It is simply meant to be some token. While the amounts shift from time to time, DL does provide SM based on the cabin, fare basis, and status.

So, no you won't get less compensation for your dinner. But, you will get some gesture based on F vs Y, the price of your ticket, and your status. It's all pretty automated and likely all preprogrammed for you.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Here was the final resolution for those wondering:

- Friday night, we got a call offering us $100 each ($200 total) in the form of a check mailed to us to cover any expenses we incurred.
- Also on Friday, customer service wrote me an email offering me 7,500 miles and my wife a $75 voucher

I felt like given the length of the delay and the inconvenience we experienced that this was inadequate. So I called DL customer service this morning.

She offered us an additional $25 gift card each. I asked her to escalate this to a supervisor, she put me on hold and came back on a few minutes later and said this was the best they could do so I accepted.

So in total, for a near 11-hour delay, we received a total of $200 cash, $125 in vouchers/gift card and 7,500 miles.

Given we only paid $70 each one-way for this flight, I found it hard to push much harder for additional compensation.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by LucWise
So in total, for a near 11-hour delay, we received a total of $200 cash, $125 in vouchers/gift card and 7,500 miles.

Given we only paid $70 each one-way for this flight, I found it hard to push much harder for additional compensation.
If that compensation was per person you did extremely well.

When Delta stranded me overnight in ATL due to a mechanical in TPA, they paid for the hotel and I got a $200 voucher. And that was when I was DM.

David
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
If that compensation was per person you did extremely well.

When Delta stranded me overnight in ATL due to a mechanical in TPA, they paid for the hotel and I got a $200 voucher. And that was when I was DM.

David
That was our total compensation between the two of us, not per person.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
That was our total compensation between the two of us, not per person.
You still did very well.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:44 am

$200 in cash+$125 in vouchers+7500 miles ($75 @ $.01 each)=$400
Total price for trip $70x2x2=$280
Delta PAID you $120 to take the trip! You did extremely well. You should be extremely happy and grateful you got what you got.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Situation
$200 in cash+$125 in vouchers+7500 miles ($75 @ $.01 each)=$400
Total price for trip $70x2x2=$280
Delta PAID you $120 to take the trip! You did extremely well. You should be extremely happy and grateful you got what you got.
Your formula is flawed. It assumes we incurred no other expenses (we did) and it also values our time at $0 per hour.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Your formula is flawed. It assumes we incurred no other expenses (we did) and it also values our time at $0 per hour.
I would say that The Situation's formula is accurate and you received about $400 in compensation. On a per person basis, that corresponds to what I have gotten for an overnight stay in ATL.

I had less than $20 in other expenses for some food. The hotel provided enough toiletries to get by.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:39 pm

My 11 hour delay from YYZ-SLC-SFO on 4/13 (diverted to GJC and mechnical/IRROPS, needing new replacement to pick us up and drop off at SLC, then SLC-SFO next morning) got us ........ $75 Delta VOUCHER (not even GC/cash) for sleeping on the floor whole night for 4 of us

I've contacted Delta twice and Twittered them, but no reply, they said it could take 30 days to reply....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.