Whats reasonable compensation?

Subscribe
So this just happened on my wife's flight while they were boarding.

She got no hotel for the night and no transportation to the hotel she found herself. They gave her a $100 voucher

Could you tell us the rest of the story?
She had to get rebooked for tomorrow morning since she would miss her connection at LGA.

They had to fly a mechanic in from somewhere but then they were saying maybe flying another plane in
Where?
GSP-LGA flight 5531
Wow...
Delta's Twitter Direct Message Response

Thanks for that information. The flight was delayed due to weather and air traffic. We wouldn't offer hotel accommodations or compensation under the circumstances. I do apologize for the disappointment. *KC

Oxygen mask dropping down is due to weather and air traffic.
Quote: Wow...
Delta's Twitter Direct Message Response

Thanks for that information. The flight was delayed due to weather and air traffic. We wouldn't offer hotel accommodations or compensation under the circumstances. I do apologize for the disappointment. *KC

Oxygen mask dropping down is due to weather and air traffic.
Reply back reminding KC that the flight's original delay was Mechanical. KC was probably looking at the most recent delay reason, which is in fact Weather/ATC. Most of the delay is attributed to ATC since a new plane has been available for most the delay. However, even one minute of a Mechanical delay allows for hotel voucher compensation. ...However, the Contract of Carriage says that a $100 voucher is a substitute for hotel accommodation.
Next response is

Okay, I do apologize initially there was a mechanical then there was late crew due to weather. In the interest of goodwill I'd like to offer 7,500 bonus miles for the inconvenience. *KC
Quote: Next response is

Okay, I do apologize initially there was a mechanical then there was late crew due to weather. In the interest of goodwill I'd like to offer 7,500 bonus miles for the inconvenience. *KC
Why didn't she get a hotel voucher? What was the reason given to her?
Nope they said they had no hotels.

But she called the hotel she checked out of this morning and got a room. At a Hyatt too.
Interesting how they told my wife they were flying in a mechanic to fix the oxygen masks. Then they were going to fly another empty plan in to get them out. Either way she would miss her connection.

At no time did the captain of the plane or the gate agent say it was due to weather or air traffic.
Quote: Nope they said they had no hotels.

But she called the hotel she checked out of this morning and got a room. At a Hyatt too.
It looks like Delta complied with the Contract of Carriage to the letter. This rule specifically:
Quote:
(a) Hotels
If overnight accommodations are available at Delta contracted facilities, Delta will provide the passenger with a voucher for one nights lodging when the delay is during the period of 10:00 pm to 6:00 am. Delta will provide free public ground transportation to the hotel if the hotel does not offer such service. If accommodations are not available, Delta will provide the passenger with a voucher that may be applied to future travel on Delta equal in value to the contracted hotel rate, up to $100 USD.
I think she should still submit a request for reimbursement and submit receipts for the hotel room and ground transportation. Delta could reimburse as a gesture of goodwill. However, I don't think she's contractually entitled to such compensation. The $100 is all that's contractually required by law.
Quote: Interesting how they told my wife they were flying in a mechanic to fix the oxygen masks. Then they were going to fly another empty plan in to get them out. Either way she would miss her connection.

At no time did the captain of the plane or the gate agent say it was due to weather or air traffic.
The flight was further delayed due to Weather/ATC after the Mechanical problem was fixed. That's what the first Twitter message was about. Your wife was probably long gone before the Weather/ATC delay began. The second direct message you received was the agent correcting himself/herself about the initial reason. DL5531 was delayed for Mechanical and then it was later delayed for Weather/ATC.
But to tell me that the flight was delayed because of weather and air traffic when clearly the picture shows mechanical shows ill will from Delta.

#1 rule don't lie to customers.

My wife flies Delta for all her travel. At 7pm they were still waiting for the plane to be fixed. There was no way for her to make her connecting flight.
Quote: But to tell me that the flight was delayed because of weather and air traffic when clearly the picture shows mechanical shows ill will from Delta.

#1 rule don't lie to customers.

My wife flies Delta for all her travel. At 7pm they were still waiting for the plane to be fixed. There was no way for her to make her connecting flight.
The Twitter rep corrected himself/herself what looks like pretty quickly, so I'd infer that was an honest mistake of not more thoroughly researching the flight.