Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dtw > pvg > bkk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by No Smoking
Can you clarify what you're basing this on? IME DL to MU domestic connection last month, bag came out on the carousel post immigration. Are you saying if I'd just walked off someone would have picked up and transferred for me?

The baggage recheck station is after immigration, down the escalators and to the far left (for INTL to INTL this is N/A because you will transfer - it's reasonably well marked but the line can be backed up).

Transfer security was closed and I asked multiple people. I was instructed to exit, take the escalator up and re-enter through the regular domestic security.
I remain curious about this as well. My experience last summer was like yours, but I've seen flyerCO and others mention an improvement. I'm quite confident I'll have another transit through PVG later this year so I'm really keen to find out what's going on.

I spent an interminable amount of time in the awful transit area because my flight was delayed and the transfer agents refused to take my bag. Ultimately, I took my bag up to the counter, but that was only after a lot of badgering.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by No Smoking
Can you clarify what you're basing this on? IME DL to MU domestic connection last month, bag came out on the carousel post immigration. Are you saying if I'd just walked off someone would have picked up and transferred for me?

The baggage recheck station is after immigration, down the escalators and to the far left (for INTL to INTL this is N/A because you will transfer - it's reasonably well marked but the line can be backed up).

Transfer security was closed and I asked multiple people. I was instructed to exit, take the escalator up and re-enter through the regular domestic security.
Flew in March. There's even big signs before immigration telling you that you don't need to pickup bags when connecting between these airlines anymore.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Nov I went to the transfer desk(actually passed it as I had a boarding pass). Went to the next gate. Bag was at NRT.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Update...

My flight from DTW to PVG was delayed 3 times and left over an hour late, this would have given me ~1h20m connection time @PVG. I was not content with this, despite the gate agent attempting to convince me this is plenty of time. I declined and rescheduled for tomorrow flying DL to PEK and connecting on TG to BKK. Unfortunately I won't have any useful information on transfers at PVG. I thank you all for the replies and information. I am much more comfortable with this new flight despite arriving 17hrs later than originally scheduled.

One other note, Delta was very responsive (phone, not gate) in accommodating my appeal to change my flight. I continue to have positive experiences flying with them. The delays were due to weather, not in anyway under their control.

Last edited by rbelczynski; Apr 20, 2017 at 8:24 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I have flown through PVG to BKK twice in the past few months. I did not have to collect and recheck my bags in PVG, but both times my bags were not on the BKK flight despite three hour layovers. None of the DL bags were on the first flight. The bags arrived in BKK a day later.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I have flown through PVG to BKK twice in the past few months. I did not have to collect and recheck my bags in PVG, but both times my bags were not on the BKK flight despite three hour layovers. None of the DL bags were on the first flight. The bags arrived in BKK a day later.
Hmm.. Sounds like your bag(s) may have been sitting on the carousel waiting for you to pick them up and when you didn't they forwarded them on the next day?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rbelczynski
Update...

My flight from DTW to PVG was delayed 3 times and left over an hour late, this would have left me with ~1h20m connection time @PVG. I was not content with this, despite the gate agent attempting to convince me this is plenty of time. I declined and rescheduled for tomorrow flying DL to PEK and connecting on TG to BKK. Unfortunately I won't have any useful information on transfers at PVG. I thank you all for the replies and information. I am much more comfortable with this new flight despite arriving 17hrs later than originally scheduled.
In case you haven't done an inter-terminal connection at PEK before, be advised that the bus leaves at 10-15 minute intervals and the ride is 10-15 minutes.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Some people are confusing different things.

1)if connecting between DL/AF/KLM and MU/FM or v.v. you don't NOT need to pickup bags any longer. It doesn't matter if connection is domestic or international. Bags will transfer between DL and MU/FM. However if you are connecting onward to another carrier not listed above (say China Southern) you must pickup and recheck bags. There's big signs telling you this when you head to the immigration hall.

2)Also if transferring between the above carriers you don't need to go through the actual immigration line. There's a transfer line. If however transferring to again anyother carrier, say China Southern you must go through immigration, pickup bags, clear customs, and then recheck with the other airline.

These new procedures have only been in effect for a few months. Thus FA and airline agents still a lot of times tell you to pickup bags and recheck.
hi flyerCO, my bag was originally tagged all the way to TAO on the MU connecting flight. i was told before landing by the flight attendant to collect my check in bag after customs. my bag did come out of carousel. i grabbed it and realized i could make it to an earlier flight on china southern. that's when i rushed to terminal 2, ripped my tag and checked in for a new flight. i am always careful transiting through PVG.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
In case you haven't done an inter-terminal connection at PEK before, be advised that the bus leaves at 10-15 minute intervals and the ride is 10-15 minutes.
Thanks Moondog, I have not. I didn't even know there are buses. Sounds like a nightmare similar to CDG (worst airport in the world).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks Moondog, I have not. I didn't even know there are buses. Sounds like a nightmare similar to CDG (worst airport in the world).
I wouldn't really describe it as a nightmare, but there's simply no getting around the fact that the terminals aren't especially close to each other. At least you'll get to fly TG.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I wouldn't really describe it as a nightmare, but there's simply no getting around the fact that the terminals aren't especially close to each other. At least you'll get to fly TG.
Understood. TG or MU? I'll take TG . Thanks, Moondog.

That said, I stick with my observation that CDG, IS a nightmare...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
hi flyerCO, my bag was originally tagged all the way to TAO on the MU connecting flight. i was told before landing by the flight attendant to collect my check in bag after customs. my bag did come out of carousel. i grabbed it and realized i could make it to an earlier flight on china southern. that's when i rushed to terminal 2, ripped my tag and checked in for a new flight. i am always careful transiting through PVG.
When did you fly? Also I'm not sure if the agents pickup the bags and recheck them their self or if it's transfers w/of ever seeing a claim carousel. However as you head to immigration now there's a big sign that tells you that no longer need to pickup bags. Flown MU/MU YYZ/PVG/PEK and DL/MU DTW/PVG/BKK both times bags transfered per new policy.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Hmm.. Sounds like your bag(s) may have been sitting on the carousel waiting for you to pick them up and when you didn't they forwarded them on the next day?
Both times it was all the DL passengers and only the DL passengers. It was also FM, not MU, although that shouldn't make a difference. The Thai Airways baggage reps, who handle MU's baggage issues in BKK, said it was common for the DL bags to be put to the side and not loaded on the flight. The woman actually remembered me from a month earlier, probably because I was the only passenger in the office at 2:30 am not screaming and threatening to sue. Really, what's the point? You're in Thailand, your bags are in China and your screaming/threatening ain't gonna change that. Your bags are arriving in 16 hours no matter how much you scream, and Thai Airways isn't responsible for paying jack; you need to take that up with MU or DL.

The first time was within a couple days of the new lounge opening in PVG. I even asked the attendants to make sure I didn't need to recheck my bag. They called the baggage people who assured them my bag was on its way to the BKK flight.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
When did you fly? Also I'm not sure if the agents pickup the bags and recheck them their self or if it's transfers w/of ever seeing a claim carousel. However as you head to immigration now there's a big sign that tells you that no longer need to pickup bags. Flown MU/MU YYZ/PVG/PEK and DL/MU DTW/PVG/BKK both times bags transfered per new policy.
i flew out of LAX on sunday, april 16th. the only time i did not have to do that was flying MU connecting MU. i think the problem is MU. they can be so stubborn when flying with two tickets. they insist that skyteam seemless experience does not apply to them. i will be flying via ICN next time. i only fly via PVG unless i absolutely have NO other choices. LOL.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would've went ahead with the original flight to PVG, especially if there was another later MU flight to get to BKK in case you missed your original one due to the late arrival.

Oh and agree with the comment above about going via ICN. DL should be focusing on making that a connection point, not the garbage experience of connecting through PVG/PEK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.