Refundable Ticket to "hold" seat

Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Wasn't there a guy who got nailed for doing exactly this? Forget which airline...
I was thinking the same thing. Pretty sure it was this case on AA --

Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking for upgrade space

More info on the case here --

https://www.regulations.gov/contentS...ontentType=pdf
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
I think Delta could cancel your cheaper ticket for double-booking. You could just be helping someone ahead of you waiting for a GUC to clear.
Ethics arguments aside, would the system catch it as a double booking if the OP booked the fully refundable ticket under another name? OP doesn't have to attach an FF# to the ticket they plan to cancel - they could book the ticket under John Smith with a made-up birthday.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by C W
I'm not sure if Delta will detect that you have two reservations on the same flight. Would you be booking the refundable D1 ticket in your name or somebody else's?

Honestly though, while this could work, I think that it is abusive. It is a violation of the CoC:
They will catch if you use the same name. (I got caught once and I did it by accident. They cancelled both tickets! )

But I don't get this anyway. If your GUC doesn't clear what have you accomplished?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:35 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
They will catch if you use the same name. (I got caught once and I did it by accident. They cancelled both tickets! )

But I don't get this anyway. If your GUC doesn't clear what have you accomplished?
He will get the seat assignment that he wants.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I had the same question. If the GUC doesn't clear, he would end up having to pay much more than if he had simply purchased a discounted F ticket in the first place.

What am I missing?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kxc262
Did a search but don't think I found what I was looking for.

I am wondering if anybody has purchased a fully refundable ticket to "hold" a seat. I currently have a reservation with a GUC applied (DTW-NRT and vice versa), but hasn't cleared. DTW-NRT is looking quite full and upper deck is already gone for one of the legs.

My idea is to book a refundable D1 international ticket to "hold" the seat. Then once the GUC clears, I would cancel the refundable D1 ticket.

Thoughts on this?
I love people who are entitled. You sir, certainly seem to feel you are. Why do you feel that you don't have to play by the rules that the rest of us do?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
If the GUC doesn't clear by T-24, then I would cancel the D1 ticket.

And ethics aside, you could circumvent the multiple ticket issue by purchasing a ticket with another name.

Interesting to note on the COC and the AA case. Did not know that.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by safigan
I had the same question. If the GUC doesn't clear, he would end up having to pay much more than if he had simply purchased a discounted F ticket in the first place.

What am I missing?
My Guess is that OP is willing to hold the J seat until DoD and cancel and refund the ticket ensuring at least one open D1 seat for his GUC to clear at the gate if it doesn't clear ahead of time...which I don't know another word for that besides fraud or maybe theft.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
My Guess is that OP is willing to hold the J seat until DoD and cancel and refund the ticket ensuring at least one open D1 seat for his GUC to clear at the gate if it doesn't clear ahead of time...which I don't know another word for that besides fraud or maybe theft.
So this assumes that he is the ONLY GUC on the list and there's no irregular ops or anything else.

Seems like a strange method to me. All you could be doing is holding a seat for the guy on the list in front of you or the passenger who missed a connection and has a paid D1 seat....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:47 pm

So this assumes that he is the ONLY GUC on the list and there's no irregular ops or anything else.

Seems like a strange method to me. All you could be doing is holding a seat for the guy on the list in front of you or the passenger who missed a connection and has a paid D1 seat....
Didn't say it was a good plan
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Ethics arguments aside, would the system catch it as a double booking if the OP booked the fully refundable ticket under another name? OP doesn't have to attach an FF# to the ticket they plan to cancel - they could book the ticket under John Smith with a made-up birthday.
With such a blatant attempt at fraud, the OP would lose the weak defense of attempting to claim naivete.

Honesty is such a better practice, all the way around.

======================

BTW... who believes that the OP included enough info in the first post to allow DL to identify him/her? (Assuming anyone from DL still lurks here)

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Apr 18, 2017 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
With such a blatant attempt at fraud, the OP would lose the weak defense of attempting to claim naivete.

======================

BTW... who believes that the OP included enough info in the first post to allow DL to identify him/her? (Assuming anyone from DL still lurks here)
Who needs to work for Delta when the OP links to his travel blog in his signature line.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

======================

With OP asking the question in this forum, OP doesn't seem to care. I'd wager OP already knows the answer on the ethics question and was looking more for answers on "would I get caught". I was just pointing out that although many people's immediate response was that the system would catch the double-bookings and then cancel one or both of the tickets. That argument is easy to defeat/get around by booking a separate ticket under a made up name. At least for the international routes I've flown, passport info hasn't been required and enough personal information isn't required that you could verify if an identity is real or not when booking a ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:26 pm

======================

Using the first and last name in the OP's blog, a simple SkyMiles account search would locate his SM profile faster than the time it took me to write this post (if Delta cared to find it). This assumes he isn't using a pseudonym.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL spends $ Millions on sophisticated software to catch ticketing fraud of all kinds. Do this once and all that happens is that one or both tickets get cancelled and that might leave OP having to purchase the seat he needs, if there is still one available, at whatever price is then available.

Do this a couple of times and he will find his SM account closed and not having to worry about the GUC's clearing because he won't have any.

A D1 seat is a valuable commodity, but it's value can't be retained. Cost DL the revenue from one of those and the reaction won't be kind. This isn't one of those things where they let you kiss and make up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.