Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable Ticket to "hold" seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Refundable Ticket to "hold" seat

Did a search but don't think I found what I was looking for.

I am wondering if anybody has purchased a fully refundable ticket to "hold" a seat. I currently have a reservation with a GUC applied (DTW-NRT and vice versa), but hasn't cleared. DTW-NRT is looking quite full and upper deck is already gone for one of the legs.

My idea is to book a refundable D1 international ticket to "hold" the seat. Then once the GUC clears, I would cancel the refundable D1 ticket.

Thoughts on this?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
May the force be with you
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:05 pm

I think Delta could cancel your cheaper ticket for double-booking. You could just be helping someone ahead of you waiting for a GUC to clear.

Last edited by Widgets; Apr 18, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Your fake ticket raises the fare for others and takes another seat out of circulation for those trying to upgrade.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:10 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I'm not sure if Delta will detect that you have two reservations on the same flight. Would you be booking the refundable D1 ticket in your name or somebody else's?

Honestly though, while this could work, I think that it is abusive. It is a violation of the CoC:

5) Multiple bookings of a fictitious nature are prohibited by DL. In the event DL determines that an individual has confirmed such bookings to one or more destination(s) on or about the same date(s), the carrier reserves the right to cancel all confirmed space associated with the multiple reservations without notice to the passenger or the person making the booking.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
At the very least you risk one of your bookings being cancelled for double booking, and not necessarily the one you want to keep.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:12 pm
C W

Originally Posted by Widgets
I think Delta could cancel your cheaper ticket for double-booking. You could just be helping someone ahead of you waiting for a GUC to clear.
Originally Posted by wrp96
At the very least you risk one of your bookings being cancelled for double booking, and not necessarily the one you want to keep.
Very good point. If I was in revenue management I'd certainly let the $10k+ J ticket stick and cancel the cheap ticket

Last edited by C W; Apr 18, 2017 at 12:20 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kxc262
Did a search but don't think I found what I was looking for.

I am wondering if anybody has purchased a fully refundable ticket to "hold" a seat. I currently have a reservation with a GUC applied (DTW-NRT and vice versa), but hasn't cleared. DTW-NRT is looking quite full and upper deck is already gone for one of the legs.

My idea is to book a refundable D1 international ticket to "hold" the seat. Then once the GUC clears, I would cancel the refundable D1 ticket.

Thoughts on this?
See below...

Originally Posted by Widgets
I think Delta could cancel your cheaper ticket for double-booking.
If there is such a thing as karma, this is what should occur.

Originally Posted by Xeno
Your fake ticket raises the fare for others and takes another seat out of circulation for those trying to upgrade.
^ Why do the folks who come up with these solipsistic schemes never consider the impact they will have on others who are content to work within the system rules and norms?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:18 pm
C W

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
See below...

If there is such a thing as karma, this is what should occur.

^ Why do the folks who come up with these solipsistic schemes never consider the impact they will have on others who are content to work within the system rules and norms?
I agree with you on all points, but I mainly wanted to compliment your use of solipsistic ^
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C W
Honestly though, while this could work, I think that it is abusive. It is a violation of the CoC:
It's also considered fraud - purchasing a ticket you never intended to use.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by C W
I agree with you on all points, but I mainly wanted to compliment your use of solipsistic ^
Thanks. Carefully chosen since the definition actually provides the answer to my question.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:22 pm
C W

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Thanks. Carefully chosen since the definition actual provides the answer to my question.
Well played indeed!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:56 pm

Plus taking one more seat out of inventory will lower your odds of your GUC clearing. And if you go to the gate with your GUC, there's no guarantee you'll be the highest priority left.

Plus if a human looks at it and sees that you have a GUC wait-listed, and you're holding a J class seat on the same flights, anyone with 2 brain cells that can bump together is going to figure out what you're trying to do and I'd say DL would be well within their rights to cancel your Skymiles account.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Wasn't there a guy who got nailed for doing exactly this? Forget which airline...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by javabytes
Wasn't there a guy who got nailed for doing exactly this? Forget which airline...
American has definitely nailed people for it (in fact if this were the AA board, I would point out they absolutely would go after your frequent flyer account for doing it). And there was a FTer flying United who got busted for something similar (the bookings were for his wife who conveniently "decided not to fly" at the last minute on at least 90% of her bookings with her husband).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.