Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Speculation: When Delta allow GUCs on Korean Air?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent

Given the new JV partnership with KE, it seems like a logical <customer-benefiting> "enhancement" would be to allow GUCs to be used on KE flights.

Delta already does this with its other JV partners -- AirFrance/KLM, Virgin Atlantic.

My assumption is that if Delta ever allows, in the near future, for GUCs to be used on KE, we would only be allowed to upgrade to Business class (or "Prestige" class as they call it ).

Delta doesn't allow upgrades via GUCs to AirFrance La Premiere, only to business class, so I bet if this happen it would follow the same logic.

Thoughts?

edit: Totally forgot a "will" in the title. Mods can you please fix to read "Will Delta allow..."?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
When you book with miles on KE, is it Biz or the upgraded suites? I've never flown. I'd speculate that if did happen it would be the same as miles
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by bretthexum
When you book with miles on KE, is it Biz or the upgraded suites? I've never flown. I'd speculate that if did happen it would be the same as miles
if you book an award ticket with skymiles in J, it's J. IIRC, delta doesn't allow first class award ticket bookings
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Originally Posted by berliner5000
if you book an award ticket with skymiles in J, it's J. IIRC, delta doesn't allow first class award ticket bookings
It's J, which according to some posters on here, the 2-2-2 new Apex seat configuration on their 77Ws is preferable to DL's 1-2-1 767 configuration.

Berliner5000 is correct, Delta doesn't allow first class award ticket bookings, unless it's domestic F, which is really not something to write home about.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:56 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Totally off subject but when will they move KL to a "group 1 airline"? Seems odd that he mileage earning is so poor with a proposed JV partner
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Totally off subject but when will they move KL to a "group 1 airline"? Seems odd that he mileage earning is so poor with a proposed JV partner
Most likely not till the actual agreement is signed. Right now it's just a M.O.U. that has been signed.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: DL
Delta and Virgin Australia have had an approved joint venture for > 5 years now without GUCs. Hopefully it doesn't take quite that long with Korean, but with the region instability right now, whats the rush?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
delete
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: DL D 1MM SPG P Marriott G Hilton D
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
delete
Australia!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK it's a SkyTeam rule (not DL's decision) that there aren't FC award tickets with DL miles since DL doesn't offer IFC. I suspect that the same rule applies to SkyTeam upgrade awards, which are almost useless anyway on KE with DL miles since they require a FULL Y fare.

I'd like to be able to upgrade systemwide on KE with GUCs or even RUCs for short regional and domestic flights. It should be similar to the DL/KLM rules (or better the earlier PMNW/KLM rules and procedures) rather than the arrangement with AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.