Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Does this help or hurt FCM? I just heard on the news that the offer can be up to $13,000 now. Are they better off holding back upgrades for an extra $100 or opening up more economy seats by upgrading the elites to lessen the chance of paying out a few thousand dollars and potentially up to $9-13k payout?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:25 pm
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Jump
Does this help or hurt FCM? I just heard on the news that the offer can be up to $13,000 now. Are they better off holding back upgrades for an extra $100 or opening up more economy seats by upgrading the elites to lessen the chance of paying out a few thousand dollars and potentially up to $9-13k payout?
Delta's new limit is $9,950. Maybe you heard the regulatory IDB limit of $1,350.

I think Delta will continue FCM with business as normal. As the Telegraph article that I posted points out Delta already has extremely low IDB numbers and the marginal cost of reducing IDB to zero, assuming that the new limit will always have takers, it very limited. Probably less than $12 million per year.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by C W
Delta's new limit is $9,950. Maybe you heard the regulatory IDB limit of $1,350.

I think Delta will continue FCM with business as normal. As the Telegraph article that I posted points out Delta already has extremely low IDB numbers and the marginal cost of reducing IDB to zero, assuming that the new limit will always have takers, it very limited. Probably less than $12 million per year.
Yup. Raise the 'limit'. Give the employees more chance to get up to higher. Gets IDB to zero or very close likely.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Please share the wisdom of best day to get bumped!

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Count me among those who see this as a total PR stunt to further distract from DL's massive operational failure last week.

Because the legally required financial loss for IDB is so much lower than this in most cases, I think we will rarely see it in practice. The first manager who hands out six $8,000 vouchers will be fired. It's completely impractical.

Not only that, until now the public was pretty unaware of ceilings on compensation. Now, everybody on DL will hold out for more $$$ in every oversold situation.

Originally Posted by C W
A good Daily Telegraph article on Delta's limit increase

Some interesting excepts:

Pretty neatly sums up the differences in corporate cultural...

Pretty amazing that Delta already pays over double of what AA does per pax and nearly double UA. Phenomenal customer dedication.
What it implies to me is that airfares on DL must be significantly higher on average then on AA or UA - not that DL is more generous!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Count me among those who see this as a total PR stunt to further distract from DL's massive operational failure last week.

Because the legally required financial loss for IDB is so much lower than this in most cases, I think we will rarely see it in practice. The first manager who hands out six $8,000 vouchers will be fired. It's completely impractical.

Not only that, until now the public was pretty unaware of ceilings on compensation. Now, everybody on DL will hold out for more $$$ in every oversold situation.
Don't think so. This will be forgotten pretty quickly. Just like the meltdown. First off United is in more of a PR tail spin.

AND at 200-400 the volunteers are slow moving. 800 usually nets all the volunteers they need. Once the 4 figures hits I have rarely seen it go further.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, CA Gold
Originally Posted by C W
What?

195*50 = 9,750
Sorry, It should be 199*50
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
Sometimes it pays to be lucky. My daughter was flying from ATL to LGA recently with her two kids and when she checked in at the kiosk saw a message asking if they would volunteer to give up their seats. She asked for $300 each and as soon as she got to the gate saw the gate agent to confirm her offer. Well, it seems they needed one or two more volunteers but there were no takers for $300. Long story short the offer went up to $900 for each passenger and thats what my daughter and the kids got. They were put on another flight to LGA three hours later.
They already have reservations for Europe.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hi55us
Ok boys and girls - the hunt is now on - time to book those flights showing Y1 and score a $9k VDB
Prisoner's dilemma.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
I can't ever see it getting to the point of a $9,950 voucher being issued, but you can reroute me ATL-CMH via LAX, NRT, and MSP seven days a week for even a quarter of that.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I like the Dutch-auction via text-message idea.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skchin
Christmas Day at MSP.

I and about half a dozen others on my CR9 pulled $1000, head count not weight. Waiting around for the next flight I heard that repeated several more times and my flight was offered a second VDB but could not get in anywhere on the east coast without an overnight so declined.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by The Situation
If I am a DL lawyer, out of an abundance of caution, you have to ask the question, "what happens if... and what's the risk?" What happen if a customer gets the voucher and is travelling overseas and declares they have a financial instrument over $10K? What happens if that customer that gets the voucher then sells it to drug dealers who are attempting to launder money and in turn they flip it again (they frequently use gift cards to aid in the effort)? Although the gov can argue that DL was trying to skirt rules and should have know a large voucher like this could be used for illicit purposes, by keeping it just under $10K, it is one more added protection that at least minimizes risk.
Wouldn't almost everyone crossing a border have at least the equivalent of $50 in all currencies combined?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:52 am
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by BenA
Both MQD and base miles use the same distance based apportioning mechanism ( segment distance / trip distance times total Delta revenue). This is not the formula used for IDB.

IDB is calculated as (Y fare for Denied segment) / (sum of Y fares for all segments on ticket individually). Walkup Y fares tend to be high-ish for everything, so this helps prevent $6 fares (which i have also experienced on SEA-YVR segments after an international trip). It's a much more generous method of apportioning cost.
Thanks for the explanation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.