More 737-900's For Delta

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
UGH! DL's 739 configuration is the WORST! Cramped cabins and F is a total joke. I can't even get my laptop in a comfortable working position if the person in front of me reclines. Personally, I'd rather be on a E175...even a CR9.

Looks like there are more routings I'll be avoiding.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SSF556
It is amazing how much time FT folks spend in the airplane lavs....
All that Woodford has to go somewhere...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So, you hated the A319s and A320s, too, before Delta put wider seats on them?

http://web.archive.org/web/200310090...00/index.shtml

The 757s? All the DC-9s? The 747-200s?

You must have liked 767s with their 18 inch seats in coach vs. the 17.5" seats NW installed on the A333, then?

http://web.archive.org/web/200310020...30/index.shtml

When people complain about everything and nothing their statements quickly get discounted.
Didn't the DC-9 have an 18" seat in Y? I only flew them twice post merger and both times I was in F, which felt more like Y+ with a tight pitch.

I find the 737s are tight and miserable. The 757s had the mid-cabin galley to break up the cabin, but the seats are the same misery as the 737. I hated the NW A320 seats. They were cheap and narrow. Good riddance to those seats.

Not a fan of the 739, except to see how little runway is left before it gets airborne.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
I can't tell the difference between 17" and 18" seats, or 31 or 32 inches of pitch. Am I the only one?
I can't either. There's no way I could convince myself that an extra half inch on each side of my rear end would make a noticeable difference.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I am not a big fan of that plane (hate it, particularly the lav), but Row 1 is my go-to seat on that equipment. All of the other rows are terribly tight when someone reclines in front of you; that problem does not exist in Row 1.
^ This.

The 739 is the rare aircraft where I prefer row 1. Legroom is a bit tight, but you still have much more space overall. And you don't have that awkward angle to look down at the IFE screen.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I can't tell the difference between 17" and 18" seats, or 31 or 32 inches of pitch. Am I the only one?
No.

I have flown a ton on the 737-900 (usually ATL-SFO or PDX) and never thought of it as a torture chamber.
My only complaint is no mid cabin lav.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Didn't the DC-9 have an 18" seat in Y? I only flew them twice post merger and both times I was in F, which felt more like Y+ with a tight pitch.
According to the internet archive, 17.7" on the DC-9-50 and 17.0" on the -40 and -30.

I can definitely perceive a difference in width. Once you get past a certain point in legroom though (basically once the seat in front of you is no longer jammed into your knees), the extra room really doesn't make much of a difference until you try to open a laptop screen.

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
7" overall is a huge different, but we're talking less than an inch of width per seat. Maybe it's just because I'm pretty thin, but unless I was next to a POS, a <1in variance isn't a deal breaker.

In terms of F, I do agree regarding 5CD, those seats certainly are not desirable, especially considering the stage length of some of the routes this plane operates.

But I can't help but laugh everytime I read about the lav problem. I've seen posts about people that refuse to fly the plane or will make extra connections in order to avoid it because of the lavatory size, which is unbelievable. I get in there and get my business done, no fooling around. I don't need or expect a 75 sq ft lavatory on a domestic plane.

Forget the lavs, have you seen the first class galley work space? I've asked a couple of FA's about it and they both hate working this a/c. There just is not room to get anything done, especially when any pax is standing up there (waiting for the lav, cradling a baby, etc). People need space.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
For me, the adjacent passengers are far more meaningful to my level of comfort. If the person in front of me fully reclines, 31 vs 32 won't matter. If the person next to me is too wide for their seat (doesn't have to be a POS, could just be someone with broad shoulders or whatever), it doesn't matter if my seat is 17.2 or 17.5 or 18. Unfortunately, the only way to ensure my own space is to buy the adjacent seat or to fly in premium cabins. (Exit rows help with the recline problem, and to some degree with the lateral space issue.)

Similarly, the size of the lav isn't so important as the number and position of lavs. eg: I won't fly the BA A319 in Y with it's one lav for ~100 Y pax. I try to avoid the DL 764 in J since most Y pax don't realize the forward lavs are actually for J (thus resulting in long lines).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
I'm in the minority here and don't have much bad to say about the 739. Some of the things about the 739 are common complaints on other planes too: seats are too slim, not enough legroom, etc. Only thing I dislike about it is the lav doors, but they will be getting the doors that fold into two on the inside (just like you'd see on a 738).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
As said it packs people into an efficient airplane with a good number of seats. Used a lot of busy routes. Thus it works for the bottom line.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
... it packs people into an efficient airplane with a good number of seats ... works for the bottom line.
and that, to management, is far more important than the individual or collective opinions of their "loyal" frequent flyer community -- elites and non-elites alike
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
and that, to management, is far more important than the individual or collective opinions of their "loyal" frequent flyer community -- elites and non-elites alike
Definitely!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:06 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
You're satisfied enough to keep flying Delta.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by pvn
You're satisfied enough to keep flying Delta.
I book away from the horrible things for any flights over 90 minutes. If I'm not the only one, that will have an impact on the fares they get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.