Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More 737-900's For Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
I'll be right there laughing with you It will probably be a daily occurrence. Just sit out on the ATL F SkyDeck and soak in the schadenfreude as the flying wiener dogs drag their butts along the runway as they attempt to become airborne.
Best comment I've seen in weeks. 😂 😂 😂
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by C W

What is clear:

737, 747, and 757 all have 17" seats. The 787 has 17" seats except for a few JAL and ANA planes. The 777 is now transitioning to mostly 17" seats.

A320, A330, A340, and A350 all have 18" seats except for a few very oddball airlines like Air Caraďbes.

This is not a trend that can be attributed to airlines just happening to always put 1" narrower seats on Boeings. Boeing designs their planes for narrower seats.

That's not clear at all. Your attributing 40/50's models to 80/90's models which makes no sense. The world got fatter between 1940 and 1990. Apples and Oranges.

Boeing thought of the consumer with both the 777/787 and increased width. It just so happens airlines found they could cram a extra seat in and people wouldn't complain. The 777 was designed and introduced with 9 across seating and it wasn't until the oil explosion in late 2008, that airlines looked to squeeze in a extra seat to reduce costs. The 787 was designed and firmed in 2004, well ahead of any 10 abreast vision.

Blame the airlines.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by C W
That is properly insane. I'm not really surprised though considering what taking off in one feels like, especially loaded for a transcon. Ugh 739 transcon
The only thing that would seemingly fix the runway requirements of a MAX10 would be if they installed catapults like they have on aircraft carriers!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by C W
I'll be right there laughing with you It will probably be a daily occurrence. Just sit out on the ATL F SkyDeck and soak in the schadenfreude as the flying wiener dogs drag their butts along the runway as they attempt to become airborne.
Flying weiner dogs 😂😂😂

The MAX-10 will need a small wheel on the tail at this rate.

Last edited by SeaHawg; Apr 18, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Even in 1st class row 1 is to be avoided and row 5 CD. Ridiculously bad.

Truth! But the damage he did will last for years to come.
But this is not the plane's fault. DL decided how to CONFIGURE it. The 737 is a perfectly good plane, but DL decided to cram as many seats as possible in the given space. Yes, the Airbus is wider and that definitely helps.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
The 737 is a perfectly good plane
Many on FT would disagree, and suggest that the plane has real technical issues which make it less than ideal.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Many on FT would disagree, and suggest that the plane has real technical issues which make it less than ideal.
Too bad that the experts at Delta are not as smart or qualified as FT they foolishly decided to spend billions on 140 of them, Delta will be bankrupt and liquidated before 2020 as 737-900s fly around the country with 10% load factors
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:48 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
That's not clear at all. Your attributing 40/50's models to 80/90's models which makes no sense. The world got fatter between 1940 and 1990. Apples and Oranges.
The 737 debuted in 1968, the 747 1969, and the 757 in 1982. Hardly 40s and 50s airplanes.

And considering that the 737 and 747 are still on sale I think that it makes perfect sense to compare them to Airbuses that are also currently on sale. I care what airlines are buying, not when it was desinged. Just because a Boeing is an older design does not make it more comfortable for me. It's Boeing's own fault that they're selling ancient airframes. I wish that Boeing would build new fuselages and ditch the 737's ancient bones.

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Boeing thought of the consumer with both the 777/787 and increased width. It just so happens airlines found they could cram a extra seat in and people wouldn't complain. The 777 was designed and introduced with 9 across seating and it wasn't until the oil explosion in late 2008, that airlines looked to squeeze in a extra seat to reduce costs. The 787 was designed and firmed in 2004, well ahead of any 10 abreast vision.

Blame the airlines.
You cannot possibly think that Boeing didn't know full well that the 777 could accommodate 10-across and that the 787 could accommodate 9-across. After all in those configurations those planes have the same 17" seat width that Boeing has been selling for decades. They were cleverly designed to be trotted out with idealized cabin configurations but always intended to at least be able to be operated with high-density 17" configurations.

Your claim since the that the 787 was firmed in 2004 that it was not designed with fuel efficiency and CASM in mind is pure insanity, otherwise they wouldn't have built it out of composites and would have developed the Sonic Cruiser instead.

Airbus, on the other hand, has shown a firm commitment to 18" seats best shown by the A320 family where there is no option for airlines to dictate seat width. The A330/340 and A350 have also clearly been designed specifically for 18" seats whereas the 777 and 787 have been designed for 17" seats and the (somewhat) plausible deniability that they were intended to have 18.5" seats.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:50 am
C W

Originally Posted by WWads
Best comment I've seen in weeks. 😂 😂 😂
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Flying weiner dogs 😂😂😂

The MAX-10 will need a small wheel on the tail at this rate.
Cheers!

Originally Posted by kop84
The only thing that would seemingly fix the runway requirements of a MAX10 would be if they installed catapults like they have on aircraft carriers!
Now that might actually make them worth flying @:-)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
The 737 debuted in 1968, the 747 1969, and the 757 in 1982. Hardly 40s and 50s airplanes.
The 737 and 757 use the same fuselage as the 707 and 727. The 707 is certainly a 1950s airplane.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by C W
Now that might actually make them worth flying @:-)
There may have to be a MAX-10 surcharge to recoup those costs

And at least the 757 has great engine power, whereas 739s require an absurd runway length for its size.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:05 pm
C W

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The 737 and 757 use the same fuselage as the 707 and 727. The 707 is certainly a 1950s airplane.
Regardless, they were introduced as new types and Boeing had every opportunity to modify the fuselages.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
There may have to be a MAX-10 surcharge to recoup those costs

And at least the 757 has great engine power, whereas 739s require an absurd runway length for its size.
Engine thrust ranges:

739ER: 24,000–27,000 lbf

MAX 10X: 28,690-29,320 lbf

757(P&W): 36,600–42,600 lbf

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Apr 18, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Except for 747, the other two share the 707 fuselage so yes, a 50s design.

And considering that the 737 and 747 are still on sale I think that it makes perfect sense to compare them to Airbuses that are also currently on sale. I care what airlines are buying, not when it was desinged. Just because a Boeing is an older design does not make it more comfortable for me. It's Boeing's own fault that they're selling ancient airframes. I wish that Boeing would build new fuselages and ditch the 737's ancient bones.
If it's not comfortable for you; that's on you. If I'm unhappy with a choice a airline chooses to make, I take my business where I can find happiness.

You cannot possibly think that Boeing didn't know full well that the 777 could accommodate 10-across and that the 787 could accommodate 9-across. After all in those configurations those planes have the same 17" seat width that Boeing has been selling for decades. They were cleverly designed to be trotted out with idealized cabin configurations but always intended to at least be able to be operated with high-density 17" configurations.

Your claim since the that the 787 was firmed in 2004 that it was not designed with fuel efficiency and CASM in mind is pure insanity, otherwise they wouldn't have built it out of composites and would have developed the Sonic Cruiser instead.

Airbus, on the other hand, has shown a firm commitment to 18" seats best shown by the A320 family where there is no option for airlines to dictate seat width. The A330/340 and A350 have also clearly been designed specifically for 18" seats whereas the 777 and 787 have been designed for 17" seats and the (somewhat) plausible deniability that they were intended to have 18.5" seats.
Wait..

Who said anything about the 787 not being designed for efficiency? I said it was designed and finalized before any airline had dreamed about squeezing extra seats in. It was also designed as a 767 replacement which only seats 7 to begin with.

Knowing what it could do and intending it are two different things. If that was the case, Boeing should have offered it from the get-go and make their CASM look even more fantastic. Think of the 15 wasted years from the introduction of the 777 having 19.5" seats.

Either way, everyone has choices as a consumer. If you can't fit properly in a 17" seat, then you buy first or choose another airline that best accommodates you.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by C W
T
And the passengers of Lauda Air Flight 004 died in vain on a 767 due to thrust reverser design flaws and the passengers of United Airlines Flight 585 and USAir Flight 427 died in vain on 737s due to poor rudder design. The A330's pitot tubes have been fixed, just like the 767's thrust reversers and the 737's rudder. So to directly answer the question about how many more high altitude Airbus stalls we will tolerate (or have): none.

There are innumerable design flaws that can be plucked from history for either brand. Thankfully both manufactures produce incredibly safe planes without statistically significant differences in widebody incidents or hull loses. I understand that you may feel emotionally and anecdotally that you prefer the pilot-plane interface in a Boeing, but statically there is no justification. I could equally understand somebody who felt emotionally that they preferred Airbus's more constrained approach since most accidents are still caused by human error, yet again such a feeling is not backed up by evidence.
You can't sit there and tell me with a straight face that Airbus cares as much about safety as Boeing does. If the AF A330 had auto-thrust linked thrust levers it is likely the accident would have been averted. The plane was flying at a low thrust setting even though the thrust levers appeared to be at their max setting. Had the side sticks been linked it could also have saved the aircraft. The other pilot had no idea that pilot flying was pulling back on his side stick. In a Boeing the other pilots would have known within a couple of seconds that the plane was in a lower power situation and the aircraft was at a very high pitch angle. I'm sure the Boeing system costs more but I'd rather the pilots have as much visual and tactile information as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.