Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I get screwed out of upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I do think Delta should let it's "top ranked" elites occasionally fly in D1.

They do have something called "Global Upgrade Certificates" that let DM do just that, if it is important to them.

Do I wish they gave out more of them? Yes, of course. I also think they should give some to PM (selfish on my part, I will drop to PM one of these years).

I also think they should do OpUps based on status -- and it seems that they likely do this (when they can).

If they did INTL upgrades like domestic I'd never see the front of the plane. So I am happy with the current setup. I value the lie-flat on the overnight leg so use my 4 GUCs there and ride in C+ on the way back. If I route thru JFK on the return then I try for an RUC on the JFK-LAX leg (I don't go out of my way for that, just take what fits my schedule best)

There are a lot of delicate snowflakes on FT. I am a fairly large guy, over 60 y.o. and do just fine in a C+ seat flying TATL.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:45 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I don't think SW upgrades any employees!

Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:47 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Widgets
AA would upgrade 11 employees before an AA EXP... checkmate
wow. Note to self: there is no AA in my future.

Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
They do have something called "Global Upgrade Certificates" that let DM do just that, if it is important to them.

Do I wish they gave out more of them? Yes, of course. I also think they should give some to PM (selfish on my part, I will drop to PM one of these years).
I do think it'd be nice if they did something along the lines of what AA does (or did, dunno if they still do), maybe allow an extra choice benefit for every X number of MQMs beyond 125K. Or 4 GUCs might be too much, maybe 2. And they'd probably have to exclude rollover from this.

(And this is not selfish on my part, as I don't foresee getting significantly over 125K in a year any time soon)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:05 pm
C W

Originally Posted by Zorak
I do think it'd be nice if they did something along the lines of what AA does (or did, dunno if they still do), maybe allow an extra choice benefit for every X number of MQMs beyond 125K. Or 4 GUCs might be too much, maybe 2. And they'd probably have to exclude rollover from this.

(And this is not selfish on my part, as I don't foresee getting significantly over 125K in a year any time soon)
I think rollover pretty much is the tradeoff here. Would be interesting if you could choose to spend some excess MQMs on GUCs. But honestly 4 GUCs is all about revenue protection. Those ultra-high milers are also likely to be buying J at least sometimes and if you give it to them more for free they'll buy it proportionally less.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
I don't think SW upgrades any employees!

They guarantee an upgrade to every employee - all seats are first class
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by The Situation
They guarantee an upgrade to every employee - all seats are first class
I know! EVERY time I board a SW flight, and I ask where the first class cabin is, they ALWAYZ tell me that!!!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
priority would be given to Diamonds over yourself and other PMs or lower elites.
I can't verify this, but it's my understanding that there's no fixed priority for OpUps and that they're not always given to higher status individuals over lower status individuals. For example, a GM on a Y/B/M could get the upgrade instead of a PM on a T/V/X. I don't know if they still do this, but back in the day check-in agents would mark people as 'suitable for upgrade' at check-in if there was an oversold situation and they needed presentable people to bump up.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I mis-read. Thought it was domestic. My bad.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ruckzac
back in the day check-in agents would mark people as 'suitable for upgrade' at check-in if there was an oversold situation and they needed presentable people to bump up.
HEAVENS to BETSY!!!

If that was the case, I would have NEVER been op-upped!!!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
HEAVENS to BETSY!!!

If that was the case, I would have NEVER been op-upped!!!
Some gate agents still do that. If you have to op up some randos and all medallions are upgraded, pick the nicest passengers
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:44 pm
C W

Originally Posted by Widgets
Some gate agents still do that. If you have to op up some randos and all medallions are upgraded, pick the nicest passengers
Can you clarify policy for op-ups on Delta One flights?

Is it strictly by Medallion status or are other factors, like needing to free particular seats, considered at the discretion of the gate agent?

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
...... having employees in D1 diminishes the exclusivity of the cabin.
And how does having employees in D1 diminish the "exclusivity" of the cabin? Are paying/op-upd/GUC'd/"elite" customers who travel in D1 somehow "better" than employees or other people? Wow! This is wrong at so many levels.

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
but all I am saying is that if they were Op-ups (and ok you've convinced me they weren't) they should go by status, not nilly-willy.
No, they are not done nilly-willy (op-ups). They have a system and one is entitled dislike the system they have. And letting employees (+ friends/family) fly D1 international for "free" is a perk Delta chooses to offer its employees for [morale/recognition/benefits/other] insert whatever reason they feel is appropriate and makes business sense. You are being suspicious for no reason. Sit back, relax and keep you seat belt on
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by zeebanker
And how does having employees in D1 diminish the "exclusivity" of the cabin? Are paying/op-upd/GUC'd/"elite" customers who travel in D1 somehow "better" than employees or other people? Wow! This is wrong at so many levels.
I specifically said I don't agree with that statement!!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I can't verify this, but it's my understanding that there's no fixed priority for OpUps and that they're not always given to higher status individuals over lower status individuals. For example, a GM on a Y/B/M could get the upgrade instead of a PM on a T/V/X. I don't know if they still do this, but back in the day check-in agents would mark people as 'suitable for upgrade' at check-in if there was an oversold situation and they needed presentable people to bump up.
IME, status has affected getting an OpUp more than anything.

And I travel in casual clothes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.