Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"not complimentary upgrade eligible"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

"not complimentary upgrade eligible"

I'm trying to figure out why this isn't eligible for upgrade. I booked myself (Silver Medallian), my wife and daughter (both no status) for a R/T flight MCI-ATL-FLL in Main Cabin (X and V) for a trip in June.

However, the reservation says, "NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE" for some reason. What am I missing? Is it because there are three of us?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Medallions are only eligible to upgrade one companion. Having more than one companion on the same PNR results in no one being upgrade eligible. You will need to split the PNR if you want to be eligible to upgrade yourself and one companion. Given the low odds of an upgrade for a Silver, you may likely just keep everyone on the same PNR and forgo upgrade eligibility.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msglsmo
Is it because there are three of us?
That's your answer. I had a similar scenario myself. Rebooked for me and +1 and put last person on a separate reservation.

Regardless, I don't think you'll get upgraded as a FO going thru ATL/FLL. Too many DMs.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:20 am

If you decide to split reservations, don't leave your daughter on her own reservation alone if she's 14 or younger. If so, you won't be able to check her in online and will have to check in at the airport.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:37 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I concur that there is no point in splitting your PNR to become upgrade eligible.

Not only are you an FO on V and X fares, which are Delta's lowest and second lowest cash booking classes respectively, you would presumably be splitting the PNR so that you and a member of your party would be together. In this case you would only be cleared for upgrades if you were #1 on the list for 2 or more seats. This is, as others have pointed out, extremely unlikely. If you were #1 for 1 seat and #2 was a party of one then #2 would get the upgrade. These scenarios are mostly hypothetical though, since out of ATL you could easily be #50 or deeper.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:03 pm

It is funny how I am upgrade capable, yet have no status (was GM last year). Anyway, I guess I am on the list because I cannot remove my Delta number to put in my Alaska number because I am currently listed.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone - I appreciate the replies. I assumed it was due to have three on the PNR, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:46 am

TRAVELING WITH TWO OR MORE COMPANIONS:

If you and two or more companions are in the same reservation: All Members must have Medallion Status or be a partner airline elite member in order for any Members to be eligible for upgrades to Delta Comfort+. Each Member should check in separately and they will clear for their upgrade at their respective clearance priorities. If the party is comprised of all Medallion Members and everyone checks in together, then the party will be eligible for upgrades at the lowest tiered Medallion Member’s clearance priority. If there are any General Members in the reservation and everyone checks in together, no one will be eligible for Complimentary Delta Comfort+ Upgrades.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msglsmo
Thank you everyone - I appreciate the replies. I assumed it was due to have three on the PNR, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
OP, you could split the PNR so you are by yourself (or one companion) if you want one of the UG's (or two possibly). Keep in mind you will get this message on a PNR if you have any non medallions on your PNR for award trips.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I'm going to piggyback on this - I had an itinerary with my wife get split in to 2 seperate PNRs. She has no status. We have some flights in a few weeks that (based on prior experience - mid-day flights midweek that are bigger than they need to be to reposition a plane) generally empty out the upgrade list and even fly with empty seats in first. Given the separate PNRs is there any way to get her even on the last spot in the list like she would be if they hadn't split our PNRs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.