FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Early April Operation Disruption Compensation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html)

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 9:42 am

Early April Operation Disruption Compensation

I just received a phone call from Delta CS regarding the issues on April 5th. They are giving me 20,000 skymiles and they should arrive no later than May 1st. Very surprised how quickly they got back to me and with a personal call, not just an auto email.

pitpit Apr 11, 2017 9:51 am

Did you have any additional expenses getting to your destination? If so, any word on those? For me, I'd love to have them give something on top of the additional expenses, but at the very least, I'm hoping for that to be covered.

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by pitpit (Post 28161826)
Did you have any additional expenses getting to your destination? If so, any word on those? For me, I'd love to have them give something on top of the additional expenses, but at the very least, I'm hoping for that to be covered.

I didn't have any additional expenses.

bretthexum Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am

Interesting... Will see if I get anything. 10 hours late. Missed a hockey game, but I can't ask to get that reimbursed.. :)

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 28161843)
Interesting... Will see if I get anything. 10 hours late. Missed a hockey game, but I can't ask to get that reimbursed.. :)

They said all medallions will be receiving 20,000 skymiles and that is why it is going to take so long to post. Perfect timing to correlate with the increase in award ticket pricing on partners.

rylan Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

I'd expect that there will be some sort of official response at the earnings call tomorrow when they are inevitably asked about the meltdown.

StangGT909 Apr 11, 2017 10:24 am

It was 10,000 and $200 for the Melt down last year ?

This was worse and my entire trip was cancelled

I'd expect 20,000 and some form of voucher but we will see

Widgets Apr 11, 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by StangGT909 (Post 28162005)
It was 10,000 and $200 for the Melt down last year ?

This was worse and my entire trip was cancelled

I'd expect 20,000 and some form of voucher but we will see

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the standard for the August IROP was 20,000 miles for SkyMiles members or $200 vouchers for non-members. Anything above that was done on a case-by-case basis.

Often1 Apr 11, 2017 10:35 am

The SM are essentially free to DL unless DL or partners create inventory to handle the newly-minted miles. Otherwise it is just however many more million miles have just been "printed" competing for the same number of seats.

If you had intended to use miles for vacation this summer / fall, better get on top of it now.

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28162066)
The SM are essentially free to DL unless DL or partners create inventory to handle the newly-minted miles. Otherwise it is just however many more million miles have just been "printed" competing for the same number of seats.

If you had intended to use miles for vacation this summer / fall, better get on top of it now.

Worst case you use pay with miles to get $.01/point and thanks to the recent enhancements you and a companion are eligible for upgrades. So basically a $200 Delta voucher is worst case for DL AMEX holders when they are given 20,000 skymiles.

davetravels Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28162066)

Yes, all those exotic vacation spots where you can go for 20K miles! ;)

That said - I wasn't stuck during the last "situation", but this time, my flight to LGA was delayed 7 minutes shy of 4 hours. I was notified by the app the night before. So, while a 4 hour delay isn't much compared to some of the horror stories out there, I was only in NYC for one full business day, and I basically lost half of that. . . . .

The above post that all Medallions will get 20K miles seems VERY generic. In the past, was there a variance based on amount of delay and inconvenience?

:)

kitkat77 Apr 11, 2017 11:14 am

Did you complain or was this unsolicited?

heckler Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am

Hotel reimbursment

I didn't end up taking my planned trip to LAS due to the mayhem - however the Venetian Hotel where I was to stay, charges you for the first night if you change or cancel your reservation. I wonder if I have any recourse with Delta..?

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by kitkat77 (Post 28162310)
Did you complain or was this unsolicited?

I sent a complaint.

rylan Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

The previous case was entirely a DL resultant irop due to their own systems crashing so it was easier to give a blanket/standard compensation amount and go up from there.

In this case, it started out as weather, but the real rationale for compensation is the entire way the recovery (or lack thereof) was handled...
It will be interesting if DL makes an announcement at or after the earnings call tomorrow regarding comp for those impacted by the meltdown, or if they are handling on case by case... which could take a long time to sort through what I expect is a mountain of complaints.