Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Early April Operation Disruption Compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold

I just received a phone call from Delta CS regarding the issues on April 5th. They are giving me 20,000 skymiles and they should arrive no later than May 1st. Very surprised how quickly they got back to me and with a personal call, not just an auto email.

Last edited by Youngmiler; Apr 11, 2017 at 9:54 am Reason: grammar
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Did you have any additional expenses getting to your destination? If so, any word on those? For me, I'd love to have them give something on top of the additional expenses, but at the very least, I'm hoping for that to be covered.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pitpit
Did you have any additional expenses getting to your destination? If so, any word on those? For me, I'd love to have them give something on top of the additional expenses, but at the very least, I'm hoping for that to be covered.
I didn't have any additional expenses.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Interesting... Will see if I get anything. 10 hours late. Missed a hockey game, but I can't ask to get that reimbursed..
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bretthexum
Interesting... Will see if I get anything. 10 hours late. Missed a hockey game, but I can't ask to get that reimbursed..
They said all medallions will be receiving 20,000 skymiles and that is why it is going to take so long to post. Perfect timing to correlate with the increase in award ticket pricing on partners.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd expect that there will be some sort of official response at the earnings call tomorrow when they are inevitably asked about the meltdown.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
It was 10,000 and $200 for the Melt down last year ?

This was worse and my entire trip was cancelled

I'd expect 20,000 and some form of voucher but we will see
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by StangGT909
It was 10,000 and $200 for the Melt down last year ?

This was worse and my entire trip was cancelled

I'd expect 20,000 and some form of voucher but we will see
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the standard for the August IROP was 20,000 miles for SkyMiles members or $200 vouchers for non-members. Anything above that was done on a case-by-case basis.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The SM are essentially free to DL unless DL or partners create inventory to handle the newly-minted miles. Otherwise it is just however many more million miles have just been "printed" competing for the same number of seats.

If you had intended to use miles for vacation this summer / fall, better get on top of it now.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The SM are essentially free to DL unless DL or partners create inventory to handle the newly-minted miles. Otherwise it is just however many more million miles have just been "printed" competing for the same number of seats.

If you had intended to use miles for vacation this summer / fall, better get on top of it now.
Worst case you use pay with miles to get $.01/point and thanks to the recent enhancements you and a companion are eligible for upgrades. So basically a $200 Delta voucher is worst case for DL AMEX holders when they are given 20,000 skymiles.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:04 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, all those exotic vacation spots where you can go for 20K miles!

That said - I wasn't stuck during the last "situation", but this time, my flight to LGA was delayed 7 minutes shy of 4 hours. I was notified by the app the night before. So, while a 4 hour delay isn't much compared to some of the horror stories out there, I was only in NYC for one full business day, and I basically lost half of that. . . . .

The above post that all Medallions will get 20K miles seems VERY generic. In the past, was there a variance based on amount of delay and inconvenience?

Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Did you complain or was this unsolicited?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Hotel reimbursment

I didn't end up taking my planned trip to LAS due to the mayhem - however the Venetian Hotel where I was to stay, charges you for the first night if you change or cancel your reservation. I wonder if I have any recourse with Delta..?

Last edited by heckler; Apr 11, 2017 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kitkat77
Did you complain or was this unsolicited?
I sent a complaint.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The previous case was entirely a DL resultant irop due to their own systems crashing so it was easier to give a blanket/standard compensation amount and go up from there.

In this case, it started out as weather, but the real rationale for compensation is the entire way the recovery (or lack thereof) was handled...
It will be interesting if DL makes an announcement at or after the earnings call tomorrow regarding comp for those impacted by the meltdown, or if they are handling on case by case... which could take a long time to sort through what I expect is a mountain of complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.