Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK: To use a SC or not to use a SC? That is the question...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK: To use a SC or not to use a SC? That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
JFK T4 - I didn't shower when I was there last year, but they would serve my husband 2 drinks (he was my gofer) Not sure if they'd do a double and a "3rd" drink, but anything is possible....[it was raining when we were there - also, January - so the skydeck was either closed or inhospitable)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Griffin Wright
To clear the air: Domestic to International is what I meant by D-I. I REALLY wish I was D1, trust me. I know WFBF but I can't afford $7k. So, hoping for a sweet offer when I check-in. :-p

I have so little hair that a hairdryer will not be needed, thank goodness.

I appreciate everyone's feedback about the showers! I was hesitant about it - I want to do it, but don't want to compromise any time. I debated trying to leave work earlier and grab one at home, but having one right before the overnight flight would be very nice. Last time I flew this route and didn't shower, I felt super gross. I'm hoping I could get my wife settled in with a nice seat and beverage (or two, if they'll pour a free double) and scurry off to the shower. Ideally we'd then have time to alternate.

T4 main club it is
There are 6 showers in there, or there were the last time I flew from there. Both of you go and sign the signup sheet and then however it works out, that's how it works out. I think that ONCE I didn't shower because I didn't have time and the shower waiting time was too long. But that was because I burned a lot of time in Wingtips (which was super nice back then) and didn't use their shower because the SC showers were nicer. But there were too many people in the queue, so I did without.

You have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of time. 3:51 D-I is all the time in the world. You will not collect your bag, and I suppose you will show your passport at your originating airport and at the gate after that. You will NOT have to go through the TSA checkpoint again. You might arrive at T2, in which case you can take an AIRSIDE bus to T4. It's possible, I supposed to arrive at T2 and go out at T2, in which case there would be a roundtrip on the bus: T2-T4 (skyclub) T4 - T2. I don't think that whole process would take an hour if it came to that, and maybe international flights don't go out of T2 anymore. Any other terminal transfer (or non-transfer) scenario would take much less time
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Almost 4 hours. I'd definitely do it! And the shower!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver

Now to convince my wife. Good points about not really having to do anything once we get to JFK. Unless our originating departure is delayed, we should be golden. Dinner on the plane, but I imagine SC food would be better, and a few extra drinks would help me sleep better (or care less if I don't). I would bet we depart from T4, looking at flight history (not guaranteed, I know).
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Griffin Wright
To clear the air: Domestic to International is what I meant by D-I. I REALLY wish I was D1, trust me. I know WFBF but I can't afford $7k. So, hoping for a sweet offer when I check-in. :-p

I have so little hair that a hairdryer will not be needed, thank goodness.

I appreciate everyone's feedback about the showers! I was hesitant about it - I want to do it, but don't want to compromise any time. I debated trying to leave work earlier and grab one at home, but having one right before the overnight flight would be very nice. Last time I flew this route and didn't shower, I felt super gross. I'm hoping I could get my wife settled in with a nice seat and beverage (or two, if they'll pour a free double) and scurry off to the shower. Ideally we'd then have time to alternate.

T4 main club it is
Check for an offer on the trip page on delta.com and also at OLCI. You might win a really cheap offer to upgrade. If neither of those happen, call DL. Ask them what they would charge to upgrade you. This can be thousands less then what it would have been to purchase outright. Of course there's the risk that none of those come through and the only way would be to pay full D1 pricing.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
OK, that could be a possibility. And we're assuming not SP+ because it's not noted in profile?

Back on topic - I used my first SC showers last year - Seattle and Detroit (well, and CDG but that's not a skyclub). Both had hair dryers in the rooms (SEA nicer than DTW but both were fine). Both had lists as well. DTW did NOT notify me when my name came up - there was a LOT of confusion about whether such a list existed, and so on. SEA shower lines are run through the spa and seemed more organized....
AFAIK the standard practice at the center DTW SC still is that you get onto the shower waitlist at the upstairs service counter. When it's your turn (and the shower room is clean), you're called by name to report to the service counter.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No self service for alcohol, but the cheap brands are free, although tips to the bartender are expected.
IMO Stoli vodka which is complimentary is not considered the "cheap stuff"

A while back delta had Gordon's as the complimentary vodka which is undrinkable and "cheap stuff" Stoli is pretty good though.

OP in 3 hours you can literally drink and eat hundreds of dollars worth of food for $29. Absolute no brainer to go into the sky club.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I've been hesitant to call because every time I think to there's a severe weather event somewhere, but assuming I get through, there's nothing to lose. I should give it a shot.

I was getting offers on the trip page very consistently until I had my first saturday schedule change. Once I accepted the change, the banner remained and I think overrides any offer banner. This would be a simple IT fix, but alas... The offer was 1500 pp each way, which was too steep for me. OLCI would be something I'd try a few times (PC and App) for sure.

Worst case, I'm in Comfort+ for the intl leg so it won't be so bad.

mridley2: Challenge accepted I had a fantastic 4 hours prior to a domestic flight around Christmas in the DTW SC and I had a goooooooood time.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK the standard practice at the center DTW SC still is that you get onto the shower waitlist at the upstairs service counter. When it's your turn (and the shower room is clean), you're called by name to report to the service counter.
Yes, well, my husband and I both put our names on the list. He was called. I never was. About 10 minutes after he finished & came back to our seats, I went back to the counter and asked (different person) and was allowed in to a shower.....So SOP might exist - follow through that day was abysmal No worries - I love that DTW is self-serve so I didn't mind the wait as much When I went back to the showers, there were 2 available and a 3rd where the cleaning was finishing up. The desk just wasn't alerting people....
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yes, well, my husband and I both put our names on the list. He was called. I never was. About 10 minutes after he finished & came back to our seats, I went back to the counter and asked (different person) and was allowed in to a shower.....So SOP might exist - follow through that day was abysmal No worries - I love that DTW is self-serve so I didn't mind the wait as much When I went back to the showers, there were 2 available and a 3rd where the cleaning was finishing up. The desk just wasn't alerting people....
I thought DTW only has the two shower rooms near the entrance to the bathrooms. Are there more, and I've just only ever gotten one of those two?

The first time I used one at DTW they asked if I was planning on using the wifi and that they'd email me when it was my turn. Why email vs. calling my cell or paging me, shrug. Other times I've been luckier and there's been one available or about to become available and the notification issue is moot.

Sorry that we're hijacking the JFK SC thread but the other thing about DTW's shower rooms is the lack of a commode. I mean it's easier enough to go before/after, but it's nice to have everything in one place.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I thought DTW only has the two shower rooms near the entrance to the bathrooms. Are there more, and I've just only ever gotten one of those two?.
You might be correct. I thought there were 3 in between the bathrooms, but it was a long trip with quite a few SCs and drinks....In any event, my name was on a list and I wasn't notified when one became available.

[maybe we need a thread on SkyClub showers? I was looking for info before my November Asia trip and found some disjointed posts, but thought there would be one wiki with photos or something....]

And now back to JFK ^
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just make sure the hairdryer doesn't have a frayed electric cord and that the outlet looks in proper order. I got shocked by one of DL hairdryers over in the T2 SC. They were so old the plastic and started to think wear out. Luckily the GFI kicked in and the power was killed instead of me.
You could have sued DL and gotten some cash with that incident. Missed out on the new American dream.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Well, I had a nice chat with Ricardo of Jamaica this afternoon - great guy. He found a price of $11,261 pp to upgrade to Delta One. I thanked him for checking but passed on the offer.

o.O
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:17 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
JFK T4 - I didn't shower when I was there last year, but they would serve my husband 2 drinks (he was my gofer) Not sure if they'd do a double and a "3rd" drink, but anything is possible....[it was raining when we were there - also, January - so the skydeck was either closed or inhospitable)
I don't really understand what you're talking about with perhaps not being served a double and a "3rd" drink. Sky Clubs will serve you unlimited alcohol as long as you're not clearly intoxicated. Many LAX and ATL bartenders literally fill highballs 2/3 full with liquor and ice before adding any mixer.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
For a $29 entrance fee and 3 hours (figure there's a bit of transit time and then going to the gate 30 minutes early), I'd definitely use the lounge.

I have a trip coming up with 3.5 hours in LAX to get through customs, terminal/carrier change (JAL to DL), and re-clear security, but I still plan on using the SC with the few hours I have left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.