Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK: To use a SC or not to use a SC? That is the question...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver

The Wife and I have a 3h51m layover next Wednesday in JFK, D-I on DL Metal.

I have the DL Amex Gold (but no status), and have enjoyed the SC in DTW. It would be nice to relax and ideally get a shower during our layover, but I wonder if 3h51m would be long enough for this to all work out. Thoughts?

Also, regarding showers at JFK SC's - is there usually a long wait or would it be fairly simple to pop in and get one?

Finally, with clubs that have 'The Bar', are there still complimentary self-serve well drinks/beer/wine?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No self service for alcohol, but the cheap brands are free, although tips to the bartender are expected.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
That's more than enough time to enjoy the SC at JFK T4. I would pay $29 in a heartbeat.

T4 has plenty of showers, good food and bar, and the outdoor SkyDeck.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

That's what I figured about the bar - tips are fair, but it's more fun when I can serve myself. ;-)

Do they provide shower sandals or anything? How is it setup with regards to a changing area / storage for dry clothes? Is it a one-stall? Never done a SC shower before, so apologies for the questions. I'm just the type that likes to know EVERYTHING before I show up somewhere.

I'm leaving (or should be) from T4, so that's good. The SkyDeck sounds awesome!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Since it doesn't sound like you're in D1, you're paying the $29 fee per person. For 4 hours I'd say it's worth it. The T4 SC is huge, and since it serves as the club for international flights also has some real hot food on offer. The liquor is not self-pour, but the cheap stuff is free. Any of the premium liquors or drinks (fresh squeezed OH, smoothie) can be paid for with credit card or Skymiles. 1 mile equals 2 cents. So 50 miles per dollar.

Showers are nice, and rarely is there a wait. If there's issues with your flight you can come back and they can assist you. While it's a single visit charge, they won't charge you to come right back in again due to IRROPS.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Griffin Wright
That's what I figured about the bar - tips are fair, but it's more fun when I can serve myself. ;-)

Do they provide shower sandals or anything? How is it setup with regards to a changing area / storage for dry clothes? Is it a one-stall? Never done a SC shower before, so apologies for the questions. I'm just the type that likes to know EVERYTHING before I show up somewhere.

I'm leaving (or should be) from T4, so that's good. The SkyDeck sounds awesome!
They will unlock a small room for you containing the shower stall, a sink, some sort of bench for luggage/clothes and where you can sit to put on socks, etc., and (in most airport lounges) a toilet. A minimal seat of clean white towels will be provided, but not always a bath mat or wash cloth. The lounge also supplies toiletries such as soap/shower gel, shampoo, etc., often including a toothbrush and comb. There's either a hairdryer in the room or one that can be borrowed.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Each shower is in its own little room with a sink, toilet, and plenty of hooks and space for your clothes and shoes. You'll get several towels and a bath mat towel for the floor, and you can request toiletries. FWIW I always try to take a shower on long intl trips if I've got the time just because you feel much better afterwards. When you check into the club inquire about it right away just in case there's a waiting list.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They will unlock a small room for you containing the shower stall, a sink, some sort of bench for luggage/clothes and where you can sit to put on socks, etc., and (in most airport lounges) a toilet. A minimal seat of clean white towels will be provided, but not always a bath mat or wash cloth. The lounge also supplies toiletries such as soap/shower gel, shampoo, etc., often including a toothbrush and comb. There's either a hairdryer in the room or one that can be borrowed.
Just make sure the hairdryer doesn't have a frayed electric cord and that the outlet looks in proper order. I got shocked by one of DL hairdryers over in the T2 SC. They were so old the plastic and started to think wear out. Luckily the GFI kicked in and the power was killed instead of me.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I got shocked by one of DL hairdryers over in the T2 SC.
As if one needed another reason to avoid T2!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:51 am

Just make sure the hairdryer doesn't have a frayed electric cord and that the outlet looks in proper order. I got shocked by one of DL hairdryers over in the T2 SC. They were so old the plastic and started to think wear out. Luckily the GFI kicked in and the power was killed instead of me.
Wow, that's scary. Were you standing on a wet floor?

I hope you reported your experience and convinced the SC powers to be to trash that hair dryer and possibly rewire the outlet.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Definitely go to the T4 club. Much larger, has the skydeck, and better food offerings as well... not to mention bigger and nicer shower rooms.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
, D-I on DL Metal.
bolding mine

Since it doesn't sound like you're in D1.
Doesn't that mean OP IS in Delta One? Or just another abbreviation I don't know yet?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
bolding mine

Doesn't that mean OP IS in Delta One? Or just another abbreviation I don't know yet?
Domestic to International?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Domestic to International?
OK, that could be a possibility. And we're assuming not SP+ because it's not noted in profile?

Back on topic - I used my first SC showers last year - Seattle and Detroit (well, and CDG but that's not a skyclub). Both had hair dryers in the rooms (SEA nicer than DTW but both were fine). Both had lists as well. DTW did NOT notify me when my name came up - there was a LOT of confusion about whether such a list existed, and so on. SEA shower lines are run through the spa and seemed more organized....

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Apr 4, 2017 at 8:22 am
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

To clear the air: Domestic to International is what I meant by D-I. I REALLY wish I was D1, trust me. I know WFBF but I can't afford $7k. So, hoping for a sweet offer when I check-in. :-p

I have so little hair that a hairdryer will not be needed, thank goodness.

I appreciate everyone's feedback about the showers! I was hesitant about it - I want to do it, but don't want to compromise any time. I debated trying to leave work earlier and grab one at home, but having one right before the overnight flight would be very nice. Last time I flew this route and didn't shower, I felt super gross. I'm hoping I could get my wife settled in with a nice seat and beverage (or two, if they'll pour a free double) and scurry off to the shower. Ideally we'd then have time to alternate.

T4 main club it is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.