Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International Award Ticket Schedule Change

International Award Ticket Schedule Change

Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It's for sure worth a try. I would explain to the DL agent that you know and understand that you are not entitled to a change but that the shortened connection time makes you very nervous. Ask nicely if they would be willing to reroute you.

I would not bring up the nonstop at first, as this will seem kind of obvious. Let them offer it (if they are willing to change, they will offer it).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
According to that chart, I believe that your connection - (I/D) - international to domestic, needs to have at least 2 hours between flights.

If that's the case, they do have to change your flights, but, they can't force AeroMexico to give them award space on the nonstop flight if it's not available.
Plan was to avoid MEX altogether and try to use the schedule change as way to have them put me on a first class nonstop (I booked business on AM)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
Plan was to avoid MEX altogether and try to use the schedule change as way to have them put me on a first class nonstop (I booked business on AM)
the fact that you are booked in a premium cabin could work to your favor, they may give you more leeway.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:35 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I think the most important factor is, whether or not DL shows availability on the AM flight that Ali wants, since DL <supposedly> has no way no offer him a seat if AM isn't offering any availability for that flight.

Just a side note - Now that I'm on a desktop computer, I can see that the chart is scrollable. I was looking at it on my phone earlier!

Last edited by davetravels; Apr 3, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:40 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I think the most important factor is, whether or not DL shows availability on the AM flight that Ali wants, since DL <supposedly> has no was no offer him a seat if AM isn't offering any availability for that flight.

Just a side note - Now that I'm on a desktop computer, I can see that the chart is scrollable. I was looking at it on my phone earlier!
Assuming OP can find an agent sympathetic enough to do the rebooking without a sufficient schedule change or MCT violation.

Ahh that explains it
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:44 pm

I think the most important factor is, whether or not DL shows availability on the AM flight that Ali wants, since DL <supposedly> has no was no offer him a seat if AM isn't offering any availability for that flight.

But I thought OP wanted to get on the LAX-CUN nonstop? That's delta metal. Presumably OP used Sky Miles to purchase codeshare space on the AM flight, but this should be a DL ticket and moving to a DL operated flight should be very easy if agent is willing to make the change, right?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
But I thought OP wanted to get on the LAX-CUN nonstop? That's delta metal.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I didn't realize the nonstop is a Delta op'd flight! Nobody said that! Now, THAT'S a whole different story!

If there's an illegal connection (which, at the moment there doesn't serem to be), they certainly CAN offer the nonstop flight, even if there ISN'T availability using miles.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I didn't realize the nonstop is a Delta op'd flight! Nobody said that! Now, THAT'S a whole different story!

If there's an illegal connection (which, at the moment there doesn't serem to be), they certainly CAN offer the nonstop flight, even if there ISN'T availability using miles.
I just got off the phone. LAX - CUN first class is booked nonstop

Intersting though, the agent wasn't willing to do anything at first, then I mentioned the fact that the connection time was too close. Asked nicely if they could provide another option.

She then provided another option: LAX-ATL-CUN, with a safer layover of 2 hours.

I almost pulled the trigger on that until I mentioned the nonstop flight. She initially said there was a fare difference of 20,000 miles. I politely declined and asked her to provide some sort of exception. After 20 minutes on hold, she made it happen!!!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:57 pm

Intersting though, the agent wasn't willing to do anything at first, then I mentioned the fact that the connection time was too close. Asked nicely if they could provide another option.

I almost pulled the trigger on that until I mentioned the nonstop flight. She initially said there was a fare difference of 20,000 miles. I politely declined and asked her to provide some sort of exception. After 20 minutes on hold, she made it happen!!!
Well, that's FANTASTIC!

Yet, another FlyerTalk success story! Yay!

I don't think you mentioned - - Do you have any status with Delta? That seems to help.

Last edited by davetravels; Apr 3, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:24 am
Original Poster

But...but...but it was in the OP

Last edited by Ali Taheri; Apr 4, 2017 at 12:27 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Well, that's FANTASTIC!

Yet, another FlyerTalk success story! Yay!

I don't think you mentioned - - Do you have any status with Delta? That seems to help.
Thanks for the input/help. No status with Delta. Using CC points from bonus.

BTW, got this for 30k one way. I thought that was pretty good!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:09 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR

Congrats! Glad to you got what you wanted. I'm always amazed how far just being nice can get you
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:48 pm

Thanks for the input/help. No status with Delta. Using CC points from bonus.

BTW, got this for 30k one way. I thought that was pretty good!
that is the standard low level award for Mexico, great job finding it!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hi All:

I have a HND-LAX-JFK one-way award in DeltaOne in December where the HND-LAX had the departure moved up two hours giving me a 4.5 hour layover in LAX. If I want to try for a reschedule, do I need find a routing that has the same mileage cost as what I originally-booked, or do I have a little more leeway. I noticed that NRT-DTW is now showing as an A350 flight so it would be great to get on that!

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Hi All:

I have a HND-LAX-JFK one-way award in DeltaOne in December where the HND-LAX had the departure moved up two hours giving me a 4.5 hour layover in LAX. If I want to try for a reschedule, do I need find a routing that has the same mileage cost as what I originally-booked, or do I have a little more leeway. I noticed that NRT-DTW is now showing as an A350 flight so it would be great to get on that!

Thanks.
As long as you keep it TYO-NYC you should get what you ask for. Simply give them the wanted flight numbers and they should rebook you. Doesn't need to be same price due to schedule change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.