Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/VA Codeshare fare class changes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Delta/VA Codeshare fare class changes?

Hi All,

I'm booked on a September Virgin Atlantic RT flight booked through Delta in Premium Economy. Yesterday I got an email from Delta saying I was now in First class. The fare class changed to A. I don't remember exactly what fare class I was in before, but it was not A. The Delta app now says Sky priority and everything, but when I try and pick seats on Virgin, it says I'm still only premium economy. I called VS too and they said that. Has anyone heard if Delta is just changing fare classes for Premium Economy seats on VS?

Last edited by krogers34; Apr 2, 2017 at 9:10 am Reason: VS, not VA
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Note Virgin Atlantic is VS, not VA (which is Virgin Australia).

DL is using P/A/G for its own Premium Economy product (confusingly, not W like the rest of the industry). (Domestically these are First Class codes, thus the confusing email is probably just a programming error.) I think the likelihood that you have been upgraded is zero.

It's possible DL is recoding fare classes for code shares. I can't get delta.com to sell me a Premium Economy ticket to London right now. (AF still shows up as W.)
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

This is exactly what I thought. Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
strange VS reissue

I just received a schedule change notification email from delta for a VS nonstop SFO-LHR flight that I purchased on delta.com and is on 006 ticket stock. Problem is, there is no time change or a/c change or flight number change.

However, I booked a Prem. Economy ticket, which showed the fare class as : "PREMIUM ECONOMY (W)" in the booking.

The email shows the following change:

DELTA 4391* FIRST 25A, 25C
P̶R̶E̶M̶I̶U̶M̶ ̶E̶C̶O̶N̶O̶M̶Y̶

DELTA 4390* FIRST 25A, 25C
P̶R̶E̶M̶I̶U̶M̶ ̶E̶C̶O̶N̶O̶M̶Y̶

Furthermore, Delta.com now lists the fare class as FIRST (A), which to my knowledge is only used for domestic F (not flying delta metal at all, just the SFO-LHR VS nonstop). The VS website still shows PE on the return leg, but the outbound says "operated by delta air" where it should show the fare class, but it is still showing the 787-900 operating on LHR-SFO, with PE seat numbers, and still reads "Operated byVirgin Atlantic" where the operator is shown, so this is for sure a VS flight.

I know that I need to call in, but before I do, any suggestions? I'm worried the agent won't see an issue where there is one and I want to know where to push them.

I know there is no "first class" on a VS 787, so mostly worried about showing up at the airport and finding myself in coach, or not ticketed at all.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Apr 2, 2017 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
This seems to have Google Flights confused at the moment, as it was showing $1100 DL flights in biz NYC-LHR, which in reality were PE on VS.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:01 am

I had the exact same issue. I started another thread as I did not see this one, but asked mods to merge. Let's get to the bottom of this so we don't show up at the airport to any unwelcome surprises.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I had the exact same issue. I started another thread as I did not see this one, but asked mods to merge. Let's get to the bottom of this so we don't show up at the airport to any unwelcome surprises.
I just read your post and that is exactly what mine looks like now too. Different flights, but the VS reservation page is the same. First flight says operated by Delta, but it isn't and the return still says Operated by Virgin. It will actually let me click on upper class seats for the first flight, but when I click to confirm, it doesn't save them. I'm almost 100% positive this is just some new internal change for Delta fare classes on codeshares.

Sidenote- Can't believe I said VA in the first post/title. I should know better.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by krogers34
I'm almost 100% positive this is just some new internal change for Delta fare classes on codeshares.
I just don't want to show up and be in coach when I booked PE.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:22 am

Hi

I've had exactly the same for a trip in October (DL fare, VS flight) to MCO. 5 of us booked PE, received an email yesterday that we had all been upgraded to 'First'. Spent some time trying to unravel what has happened, but it looks like a major system issue with DL according to VS. They have had a lot of calls about it.

The strange thing is that I have the seats reserved in PE, but it shows as UC on the Virgin site. When trying to select the UC seats, it looks like it goes through but the seats don't change. Over the phone, VS are adamant that there has been no upgrade and that this is just a PE booking.

Apparently it will be sorted out on Monday.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MoneyBagger
Hi

Apparently it will be sorted out on Monday.
Did DL or VS tell you this?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:35 am

Did DL or VS tell you this?
DL.

They are aware of the issue and have had a lot of calls about it. You cannot book PE with DL at the moment for VS flights.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Me too - I thought nothing of it as I applied to have 2 GUCS used. I was in PE - now showing First A.

My flights are DL 4355/4354 ATL-MAN and MAN-ATL in the Memorial day timeframe. I am DM and thought I had hit the jackpot - obviously not. Hope I keep my PE seats though.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:28 pm

I just called Delta and, like others have said, they are aware of the issue. The agent I spoke with said that this is a VS issue, that they are making some type of change in their system. Agent said VS has asked DL not to touch any of these reservations for 7-10 days and that then DL pax should call back to DL to have the reservation fixed.

So at least according to this agent, there is an issue, and we need to be sure that it is corrected, but they can't touch these tickets right now. I'm not flying until November so this is fine, but for those that are flying in the next 7-10 days, not sure what you should do.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Apr 3, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage; FlyingBlue; Miles and More
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Me too - I thought nothing of it as I applied to have 2 GUCS used. I was in PE - now showing First A.

My flights are DL 4355/4354 ATL-MAN and MAN-ATL in the Memorial day timeframe. I am DM and thought I had hit the jackpot - obviously not. Hope I keep my PE seats though.
How annoying--I had the same email for a LHR-JFK flight in just over a week. Just got off the phone with DL, who said that they're guaranteeing whatever class you booked into, that it's just a labelling problem. So that does sound like you keep PE if that's what you booked.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Just called the DM line and they say it is Virgin IT that is the problem.

FLIGHT SEAT
DELTA 348 Delta Comfort+™ 11E

DELTA 4355* First 25K

DELTA 4354* First Choose Seat

DELTA 2306 Delta Comfort+™ 11E

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Apr 3, 2017 at 10:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.