Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Could Delta Capitalize On Their Better Transfer Cities?

Could Delta Capitalize On Their Better Transfer Cities?

Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
For the record, the only DL hub I hate connecting through is SLC. I've never had a major issue with any of the others.

I can connect through ATL without thinking at this point, and the only bad experiences I've had have been ExpressJet-related. The other hub I use most is MSP, and while I don't like the SkyClub situation, the rest of the airport is fine.

I definitely want to try an RDU connection soon, and if CVG-MSY comes back, I will almost certainly connect there when flying DCA-Louisiana.
Since I live in SLC, I have never yet had the need to connect through it. What don't you like about it?

I guess one advantage of connecting at a non-hub airport is that there will be just a few gates, all in the same concourse. Thus tighter connections might be less risky. (Although as others have pointed out, if you do misconnect, recovery options are sure to be more limited.)

I flew from ATL to SLC once via Austin. It gave me a chance to see an airport I had never been to before. It was supposed to have a fantastic Texas barbeque place. Maybe I caught them on a bad day because I did not find it to be anything special.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Since I live in SLC, I have never yet had the need to connect through it. What don't you like about it?

I guess one advantage of connecting at a non-hub airport is that there will be just a few gates, all in the same concourse. Thus tighter connections might be less risky. (Although as others have pointed out, if you do misconnect, recovery options are sure to be more limited.)

I flew from ATL to SLC once via Austin. It gave me a chance to see an airport I had never been to before. It was supposed to have a fantastic Texas barbeque place. Maybe I caught them on a bad day because I did not find it to be anything special.
The ends of C/D can turn into zoos when multiple fully-loaded A320s are departing at the same time. The SkyClub is terrible, and the whole airport generally feels cramped.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
The ends of C/D can turn into zoos when multiple fully-loaded A320s are departing at the same time. The SkyClub is terrible, and the whole airport generally feels cramped.
The airport IS cramped, 'tis true. Hopefully the new terminal and concourses now being built will solve those problems.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO/IME the PMNW airport staff at DTW lost their surliness when the new terminal was opened.

I don't know whether DL serves Surly beer on the MSP flights or at the MSP SCs.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
These airports with only a few connecting options are great because there aren't a lot of flights ... so they should add more flights to these airports ... then they won't be great as they get bigger ...

I avoid CVG because most flights from my home airport are on 50 seat CRJ's. (I was about to say all, but I checked and they have some scheduled CRJ-900's, one a week tops, and it's not consistent even at that). We don't even have consistent 7 day a week service here (some weekends don't have a Saturday or Sunday or both days flights, again, it's not consistent either).
I'm hoping we see some CS100 love next year at KCI.

Speaking of KCI, a new airport would lend itself to a focus city for Delta. Lower cost, few delays and middle of the map.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:06 am

I find DTW and MSP to be pretty pleasant transfer airports. I know there are some bitter folks in CVG who can't handle the fact their airport drew the short end of the stick in the airline consolidation game, but I see little evidence that CVG would be better suited than either of the above cities as a primary hub for DL.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I find DTW and MSP to be pretty pleasant transfer airports. I know there are some bitter folks in CVG who can't handle the fact their airport drew the short end of the stick in the airline consolidation game, but I see little evidence that CVG would be better suited than either of the above cities as a primary hub for DL.
And there's the obligatory CVG slight.

No one is suggesting that CVG should still be a primary hub. It lost out for several good reasons. That being said, it still serves as a valuable secondary hub with a lot of high-dollar O/D traffic, and easy connections for those headed to/from the midwest.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It makes a lot of sense for some people. That's why DL still offers connections there. When I search for a flight from MCO-MEM I get two options, ATL and CVG. ATL of course has more options but I don't even get offered DTW or MSP as it would make no sense to fly that far out of the way. Not everyone lives in NYC, LA, or Chicago

And while MSP is a nice airport it is by no means built for a quick connection. I'd be very worried with less than an hour.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by amanuensis
The airport IS cramped, 'tis true. Hopefully the new terminal and concourses now being built will solve those problems.

The big downside of SLC is the airport is cramped. The last time I flew through there the gate we were at was not large enough to accommodate the crowd for an E175, but people are so nice and helpful, and if you are not at peak time, it is a nice airport, so I actually do try for SLC connections when possible.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It makes a lot of sense for some people. That's why DL still offers connections there. When I search for a flight from MCO-MEM I get two options, ATL and CVG. ATL of course has more options but I don't even get offered DTW or MSP as it would make no sense to fly that far out of the way. Not everyone lives in NYC, LA, or Chicago

And while MSP is a nice airport it is by no means built for a quick connection. I'd be very worried with less than an hour.
Unless you're connecting to/from a CRJ200 in the A/B concourses and have to go all the way to F or the low G gates, and even then if you take the bridge connector it's not that bad.

I don't find MSP that bad for connections with the tram and the moving walkways for most of the airport.

Now I just wish they'd add one more SkyClub either in near the A/B gates or at the high G gates.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised with DTW having only relatively recently connected there, much nicer and spacious experience compared to ATL. MSP I have only done twice also better than ATL. ATL is hard to avoid flying out of RIC, because I think there are only 2 MSP & DTWs per day and they don't tend to be the times of day I am heading out (especially MSP).
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, but on some routes this means frequency will decrease. MEM-CVG is currently 2x daily on CRJ2 but is going to 1x CRJ9 in May.
I will actually prefer this. There a lot of times where I've been presented with going through CVG as an option. I never pick it because I will not book a flight on CRJ200 unless I absolutely, positively must do so. Hell, I'll connect via ATL to CVG to avoid a nonstop on the RJ200.

Changing to a CRJ900 will make me actually consider utilizing CVG. (Although it's still tough to argue against just going to ATL and then pretty much anywhere, when MEM-ATL runs 10-11 times per day.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.