Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't DL adverrise the 20 minute guarantee at baggage claim?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why doesn't DL adverrise the 20 minute guarantee at baggage claim?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:46 pm

I rarely check. But, on the way home from SC last week I noticed the app never gave me the "your bag was loaded in ATL" notification. So, when I went to the carousel i didn't see my priority tagged bag after a few minutes, I went to baggage office and confirmed with them my bag didn't make the plane. Then, as I was walking out of the office, I get a notification that my bag was loaded on to the carousel in SAN. I was so relieved, I didn't even think about how long it had taken.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
The large signs are in use at many stations. Just flew into ORD and there's one here at baggage claim.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I think this is one of those dont rock the boat things.

Obviously you know about it since you posted about it, and I am sure 99+% on this forum myself included know about it.

If you know about it just fill it out everytime, I do. If people are not savvy enough to do the homework to find out then its their fault. In my life too many people refuse to do the legwork to find the answer they need, and its a pet peeve of mine. (Not saying thats you OP by the way )
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
SMF is always over 20 minutes. Never filed a complaint.
Really? Not for me, I've never waited more than 10-15 minutes after landing.

Did file last night at BWI, as it took almost 30 minutes for the bags to come out. Was promptly awarded 2,500 miles (first time I did so).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think I've gotten 15K in points so far this year for bags on time. Had to wait 2 hrs for my bags at IAH back in February. Delta still only gave me 2500. My argument was that if they were going to give me 2500 for 20 mins late, I should get 15K for two hours. After 5 or 6 emails back and forth, they still didn't go for it.

At lease I had the Centurion Lounge to wait in....
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RedneckFlyer
I think I've gotten 15K in points so far this year for bags on time. Had to wait 2 hrs for my bags at IAH back in February. Delta still only gave me 2500. My argument was that if they were going to give me 2500 for 20 mins late, I should get 15K for two hours. After 5 or 6 emails back and forth, they still didn't go for it.

At lease I had the Centurion Lounge to wait in....
I have had the worst luck at IAH with luggage, across airlines. Don't know what it is.

Earlier this year I was flying into SLC with some skies. They are supposed to drop at the oversized bag area, which is where I waited for 40 minutes. There were no app updates to say the skis were delivered elsewhere. As I was walking over to the baggage service office to check I seem them going around a carousel....
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
The number of times I've been standing there, watching my timer (I start it when the cabin door opens), and somewhere in the 16-18 minute range, the carousel starts turning. $#^@!

Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
SMF is always over 20 minutes. Never filed a complaint.
Not in my experience. It's close to 20 minutes, but never over (since Delta started this program). Also, IIRC Delta only has this guarantee for mainline flights, for which a lot of flights out of SMF don't actually qualify - SMF-LAX, SMF-SEA, and SMF-SLC, use Skywest or Compass for a majority of their trips.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:22 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by berliner5000
Not in my experience. It's close to 20 minutes, but never over (since Delta started this program). Also, IIRC Delta only has this guarantee for mainline flights, for which a lot of flights out of SMF don't actually qualify - SMF-LAX, SMF-SEA, and SMF-SLC, use Skywest or Compass for a majority of their trips.
It's available for all DL and Delta Connection flights in the US:

Eligibility: 20-minute Bag-to-Claim Guarantee bonus-mile offer valid on all domestic flights within the U.S. 50 and Puerto Rico, marketed and operated by Delta Air Lines and Delta Connection® carriers. I
https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

(claim form is at the link above as well).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by TTT
It's available for all DL and Delta Connection flights in the US:

https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

(claim form is at the link above as well).
Oh well, my bad -- they updated it then. When it first came out it was restricted to mainline carriers.

As for the poster that never gets their bags at SMF in 20 minutes, it shouldn't take that long to file a claim, with the lack of redeemable miles from flying, I would jump at every opportunity to get them
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by davetravels
It's not a complaint. . . .

It's a VERY simple online form: https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

It's automated. It asks you a couple of simple questions, and, after you click "SUBMIT", if your claim is accurate, your miles pop into your account - - (Immediately last time I did it).

NO human interaction needed, or complaint to file. You're missing out on MILES, Dawg!!!
Very simple indeed. Just put my confirmation number and skymiles number in and the miles went into the account immediately. Took less than a minute total.

Think I may check my bag a few more times here and there.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
At PHL (the city where baggage goes to die), the sign announcing the 20 minute guarantee used to be right on top of the carousel (a 100% DL-only carousel).

It was subsequently moved to the baggage office, which is separated from the DL carousel by at least one other carousel. It is not hard to imagine the "logic" behind the relocation.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:46 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by apodo77
Very simple indeed. Just put my confirmation number and skymiles number in and the miles went into the account immediately. Took less than a minute total.
So, for those who track billable hours, at one minute per claim, that's 1,500,000 "<Sky>Miles per hour"!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by RedneckFlyer
I think I've gotten 15K in points so far this year for bags on time.

Holy smokes! I should check my bag more often - I am missing out on so many free miles!

Is it bad that now on the rare occasion that I check a bag, I am praying for them to take a little longer rather than back in the old days, when I was praying for them to hurry up? It is so disappointing when DL only takes 19 minutes to offload my bag.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, for those who track billable hours, at one minute per claim, that's 1,500,000 "<Sky>Miles per hour"!
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.