FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Apply Delta Voucher After Purchasing Ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1832278-apply-delta-voucher-after-purchasing-ticket.html)

co.miller89 Mar 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Apply Delta Voucher After Purchasing Ticket

Looking to book a flight on Delta, but I need an invoice with the full price for reimbursement purposes. Anyone know if Delta will let you adjust the booking and apply a voucher after booking the flight?

Renes Points Mar 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jeam3130 (Post 28098596)
Looking to book a flight on Delta, but I need an invoice with the full price for reimbursement purposes. Anyone know if Delta will let you adjust the booking and apply a voucher after booking the flight?

Sounds like a moral issue more than a technical one. IE you could book and pay in full. Print that. Cancel. Re-book same flight flights and apply voucher.

Again, up to you if you are OK with submitting a full price for reimbursement when you paid less.

kop84 Mar 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jeam3130 (Post 28098596)

There are ways to accomplish what you want, but this sounds ethically gray at best, fraud at worst.

TTT Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points (Post 28098878)
Sounds like a moral issue more than a technical one. IE you could book and pay in full. Print that. Cancel. Re-book same flight flights and apply voucher.

Again, up to you if you are OK with submitting a full price for reimbursement when you paid less.

I don't see an ethical issue assuming we are talking about a DL eCert of some sort. That should be valued by the OP the same as cash, IMO. What is the ethical issue if the OP is deciding to use two forms of payment?

EZEDoesIt Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

The receipt shows the full price of the ticket and the breakdown of the payment.

I don't see what's so unethical about using non-credit card forms of payment. You don't know where the OP got the voucher from. Maybe it's just credit for a cancelled flight that he wants to burn before expiration.

co.miller89 Mar 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt (Post 28098913)
The receipt shows the full price of the ticket and the breakdown of the payment.

I don't see what's so unethical about using non-credit card forms of payment. You don't know where the OP got the voucher from. Maybe it's just credit for a cancelled flight that he wants to burn before expiration.

​​​​​​exactly what this guy said. I got the refund from Delta for a cancelled flight. I already paid for it and I need to burn the voucher before it expires. Why should the company get the "discount" if I decide to use it?

TTT Mar 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jeam3130 (Post 28098923)
​​​​​​exactly what this guy said. I got the refund from Delta for a cancelled flight. I already paid for it and I need to burn the voucher before it expires. Why should the company get the "discount" if I decide to use it?

It's not even a discount as you already paid for the other flight.

IMO, this is just as if you had decided to use credit card for a meal and then tip in cash. Both are the same from an expense purpose and both should be reimbursed by your employer.

CarmenOM Mar 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this doesn't sound unethical. If you have a $200 voucher in your Delta account, isn't that your money as much as using your credit card to pay for a ticket?

TTT Mar 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt (Post 28098913)

Even if it was a DBC voucher I still don't see the ethical issue. The OP was paid compensation for their trouble - it isn't "free money" as they gave up their time.

pvn Mar 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points (Post 28098878)

paid less how? Submitting two forms of payment doesn't mean the price decreased.

danielonn Mar 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jeam3130 (Post 28098923)

You should use the voucher for the discount and just either pay the remaining amount on your own credit card or ask your employer if you use the voucher will you cover the difference or should I cover the difference?

If the company owns the voucher I would forward it to the company and tell them to use it for your next trip and then they could cover the remaining amount.

Either way don't do something that could go against your company policy which is good to know about who owns the voucher and if you forward it to them they would use it for your next trip as you are the named passenger on the voucher and then use their company card for the rest.

If you go under your Delta.com account and you view the receipt it will show

Payment
Ticket#0123451020
Total $1000
Voucher 33222999-$500
Credit Card VI XXXX1234 $500

Any residual value of unused funds goes back to the voucher. I used an IDB Voucher and a Service Recovery Voucher to pay for my trip to Paris whatever was left over was returned to me or if the ticket costs more it would go to your credit card.

On your Credit Card statement it would say Delta.com Ticket Collection Fee or something along those lines.

If you use a corporate credit card and travel agent your company has the right to view your receipts and could require you to submit the Ticket# receipt that shows its been ticketed.

What the OP is trying to do is not ethical and is not a legal receipt. I could go to a store purchase an item pay cash get a receipt and then submit it to my company for reimbursement. Its not ethical and is very shifty.

Just be up front with your boss/HR.

The reason your company potentially owns the voucher is because they originally booked you on that flight under a company expense. Now if you were to use the voucher for a non company expense your employer could argue you were using company money even if its free to book a vacation. Yes you were delayed but if you were on company time they could argue that it was lost time that you could have been in the office or at your conference or meeting.

If you asked your company if you could use your voucher for personal travel and they agree then fine if not then I am afraid you would be forced to use the voucher for company travel or let it expire. The voucher is in your name yes and the terms state that it cannot be transferred to another passenger. So you the named passenger must use it according to your company travel policy which by the way is important to know before you get called in to your boss's office for an infraction and potentially get fired if they find out.

exwannabe Mar 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 28098945)
paid less how? Submitting two forms of payment doesn't mean the price decreased.

OP is talking about buying a ticket at say $1000, getting the receipt, then using a voucher to pay it down to $500.

Submit the $1000 to the company as an expense item and pocket the $500.

Yes, it is clear an absolute fraud, not gray as some assert. In some cases that cert would be worth $500, in others it would be nearly worthless.

The OP should simply buy the ticket with $500 + cert to begin with, and put that down on the expense the report. State the value of the cert spent and justify it. Or as the previous poster said, simply discuss in advance.

If one uses non cash value for company expense, they are entitled to expense it. But not entitled to lie and claim it is cash.

Saj8986 Mar 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 28099169)
OP is talking about buying a ticket at say $1000, getting the receipt, then using a voucher to pay it down to $500.

Yes, it is clear an absolute fraud, not gray as some assert. In some cases that cert would be worth $500, in others it would be nearly worthless.

The OP should simply buy the ticket with $500 + cert to begin with, and put that down on the expense the report. State the value of the cert spent and justify it. Or as the previous poster said, simply discuss in advance.

If one uses non cash value for company expense, they are entitled to expense it. But not entitled to lie and claim it is cash.

If I did this and my company found out I would be terminated. No gray areas.
Turning in a false receipt for reimbursement is fraud.

MSPeconomist Mar 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Remember that the first receipt will have a different ticket number. You'd be turning in a receipt for reimbursement for an item that was returned to the seller for a full refund. If you're required to submit boarding passes, it's easy to catch as the boarding pass has the ticket number.

danielonn Mar 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 28099169)

Yes I agree with you and OP please take this and my response to heart as we really mean well and don't want to see you terminated from your job.