Apply Delta Voucher After Purchasing Ticket

Subscribe
Quote: I have booked a flight in a coach class and submitted that recpt for business and then used a voucher to upgrade the price of the ticket with it's new rcpt.

Of course there is a digital trail if you look at ticket numbers but I didn't think anybody would care.
Do they let you do this? The upgrade with voucher piece?

Quote: some ppl on this board need to chill out. soooo may assumptions being thrown around. I paid with my own cash that led to the voucher straight up. no double dipping. no fraud. i own it. period. just as if I bought a delta gc with cash.

anyway, i decided to just use the voucher as a form of payment, just like cash. it shouldnt be a problem, but i was thinking that i could avoid that buy applying it after the fact.
We used to be able to do this but they re-wrote company policy to expressly disallow it. No vouchers, gc, anything is allowed for company travel purchases and will not be reimbursed. Good luck!
you guys can sit here and debate all you want. you're wasting your time
These questions always make a huge 'ethical' debate for almost no reason.

OP figured it out... not an issue. The receipt would show the full price of the flight first anyway, and then payment methods lower down. You just highlight and turn in for the full price.
Quote: OP is talking about buying a ticket at say $1000, getting the receipt, then using a voucher to pay it down to $500.

Submit the $1000 to the company as an expense item and pocket the $500.

Yes, it is clear an absolute fraud, not gray as some assert. In some cases that cert would be worth $500, in others it would be nearly worthless.

The OP should simply buy the ticket with $500 + cert to begin with, and put that down on the expense the report. State the value of the cert spent and justify it. Or as the previous poster said, simply discuss in advance.

If one uses non cash value for company expense, they are entitled to expense it. But not entitled to lie and claim it is cash.
Who is being defrauded, and of what?
Quote: you guys can sit here and debate all you want. you're wasting your time
(...because I've already made up my mind to pocket the cash.)
I tried the same thing recently though for a different reason (forgot I had the cert). I called up and was told I had to cancel (was within 24 hours) and rebook with a cert. It's possible she could have applied the cert retroactively and told me to cancel/rebook anyway and it's also possible some certs can be done like that and others can't.
The "pocket the cash" objection is incredibly weird. Money is fungible. If the OP had gotten a prepaid visa card from some unknown source, used that to buy the ticket, and the submitted the expense for reimbursement, would that be "fraud" in your opinion? He's "pocketing the cash" in that example.
Quote: The "pocket the cash" objection is incredibly weird. Money is fungible. If the OP had gotten a prepaid visa card from some unknown source, used that to buy the ticket, and the submitted the expense for reimbursement, would that be "fraud" in your opinion? He's "pocketing the cash" in that example.
excellent point.
Quote:
Yes, it is clear an absolute fraud, not gray as some assert. In some cases that cert would be worth $500, in others it would be nearly worthless.
In what cases would an unexpired $500 e-credit be worth anything other than $500? Unless it was issued to the OP as a refund from a cancelled ticket that his company purchased, it's OP's money to spend and I see no issue with this. I'd would, as others have said, be upfront with accounting so there is no appearance of fraud, but this is not fraud in my mind.
Quote: you guys can sit here and debate all you want. you're wasting your time
Then why ask us and not your HR/accounting department?
Time to lock this one up
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator