Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Apply Delta Voucher After Purchasing Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apply Delta Voucher After Purchasing Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that the first receipt will have a different ticket number. You'd be turning in a receipt for reimbursement for an item that was returned to the seller for a full refund. If you're required to submit boarding passes, it's easy to catch as the boarding pass has the ticket number.
Exactly the accounting department will catch this no question about that and then HR will be calling you along with the accounting department, your department chair to a meeting in which you will have to justify what you did and how it benefits the company.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:13 pm

Submitting a false receipt is fraud, and would almost inevitably lead to termination should the travel ever be audited.

That being said, unless your company only reimburses you for the amount charged on your corporate card, I don't see why there'd be an issue in submitting for the full amount. I've used gift cards for travel charges before, and as long as I explain why there's a split charge on the bill, accounting's never had an issue reimbursing in full.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ntr91
Submitting a false receipt is fraud, and would almost inevitably lead to termination should the travel ever be audited.

That being said, unless your company only reimburses you for the amount charged on your corporate card, I don't see why there'd be an issue in submitting for the full amount. I've used gift cards for travel charges before, and as long as I explain why there's a split charge on the bill, accounting's never had an issue reimbursing in full.
Not for me (must book through corporate TA) but I understand that this is not uncommon. Especially for large organisations, rationale is that it is too much gray area how the "extras" came about. I have situations where flight changes resulted in cheaper fares even after the fees. If we did not book through my corporate TA where the savings actually goes to corporate account, this could have resulted in e-credits which is really the organisation's money. Similarly, some organisations also negotiate away loyalty benefits in exchange for cheaper pricing and expect any compensation due to travel be considered properties of the organisation. While I cringe at that, it is likely "fair" since most companies does compensates for the time away from work (desk) and one is officially still on the clock.

Even when the voucher is legitimately a private property, OP is turning a virtual credit into cash via corporate reimbursement and only OP's Finance Dept can determine if it is allowed or not.

To the original question if Delta will reverse a full charge and recharge based on a split of Credit card and Voucher, I have not tried it nor have I heard of anyone doing it.

I definitely do not support the Buy-Submit-Cancel-Buy method for all the reasons raised by other replies.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jeam3130
Looking to book a flight on Delta, but I need an invoice with the full price for reimbursement purposes. Anyone know if Delta will let you adjust the booking and apply a voucher after booking the flight?
"Adjust?"

DL won't do this unless you are prepared to cancel the ticket and have it reissued with a new form of payment. If it is a non-refundable ticket, you will pay whatever the penalty is.

Further, if this is in the US, you should understand that you must report all of this to your employer such that the difference is reported as income on your W-2, or at least as a 1099.

As others note, we would terminate anybody who did this.

If your tickets are issued by a corporate TA, even if you pay and are then reimbursed, the corporate TA should be generating a report which it receives from the carrier, e.g., DL, showing transactions on the ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by danielonn
You should use the voucher for the discount and just either pay the remaining amount on your own credit card or ask your employer if you use the voucher will you cover the difference or should I cover the difference?

If the company owns the voucher I would forward it to the company and tell them to use it for your next trip and then they could cover the remaining amount.

Either way don't do something that could go against your company policy which is good to know about who owns the voucher and if you forward it to them they would use it for your next trip as you are the named passenger on the voucher and then use their company card for the rest.

If you go under your Delta.com account and you view the receipt it will show

Payment
Ticket#0123451020
Total $1000
Voucher 33222999-$500
Credit Card VI XXXX1234 $500

Any residual value of unused funds goes back to the voucher. I used an IDB Voucher and a Service Recovery Voucher to pay for my trip to Paris whatever was left over was returned to me or if the ticket costs more it would go to your credit card.

On your Credit Card statement it would say Delta.com Ticket Collection Fee or something along those lines.

If you use a corporate credit card and travel agent your company has the right to view your receipts and could require you to submit the Ticket# receipt that shows its been ticketed.

What the OP is trying to do is not ethical and is not a legal receipt. I could go to a store purchase an item pay cash get a receipt and then submit it to my company for reimbursement. Its not ethical and is very shifty.

Just be up front with your boss/HR.

The reason your company potentially owns the voucher is because they originally booked you on that flight under a company expense. Now if you were to use the voucher for a non company expense your employer could argue you were using company money even if its free to book a vacation. Yes you were delayed but if you were on company time they could argue that it was lost time that you could have been in the office or at your conference or meeting.

If you asked your company if you could use your voucher for personal travel and they agree then fine if not then I am afraid you would be forced to use the voucher for company travel or let it expire. The voucher is in your name yes and the terms state that it cannot be transferred to another passenger. So you the named passenger must use it according to your company travel policy which by the way is important to know before you get called in to your boss's office for an infraction and potentially get fired if they find out.
This makes a TON of assumptions about how OP obtained the voucher, how he/she wishes to process the ticket, and how OP's company policies work.

As a counterpoint to some others, my company actually has a clear policy about residual ticket values and vouchers. Basically, if you've already been reimbursed for the source of the voucher (e.g., cancelled business trip), you cannot double-dip and expense it again. But if you have a voucher that was not previously reimbursed, either from VDB or cancelled personal travel or a gift card your great aunt gave you, you can treat it just as a 2nd form of payment and expense/reimburse it.

In a way, it's very similar to if I'm on a work trip and get a cash payout from Marriott because they were unable to offer me Platinum breakfast. My company doesn't expect for me to pay them that cash back, and if I use the same cash for a meal or parking or whatever during the trip, I can be reimbursed for it as if I paid for it with any other source.

The core advice here, though, is solid: Talk to your company's HR/Finance team, be up-front about what you'd like to do, and figure out how they'd like you to go about doing it. As much as we complain about those overhead business units, they tend to be relatively reasonable people if you just ask them.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
​​​​​​exactly what this guy said. I got the refund from Delta for a cancelled flight. I already paid for it and I need to burn the voucher before it expires. Why should the company get the "discount" if I decide to use it?
My company's policy is they get any discounts or compensation from company paid travel. Yes, it is a rotten policy. Among other rotten travel policies. Pretty soon I will retire, cut their credit card into many pieces, and then will travel exclusively under the diverdave travel policy.

And they got the benefit of the $200 voucher from August when Delta left me high and dry. I double checked to be sure. In fact, between Delta leaving me high and dry and American stranding me at Dallas that night, the company made a few bucks on my disrupted travel day.

David
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I have booked a flight in a coach class and submitted that recpt for business and then used a voucher to upgrade the price of the ticket with it's new rcpt.

Of course there is a digital trail if you look at ticket numbers but I didn't think anybody would care.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I have booked a flight in a coach class and submitted that recpt for business and then used a voucher to upgrade the price of the ticket with it's new rcpt.

Of course there is a digital trail if you look at ticket numbers but I didn't think anybody would care.
Assuming your company allows you to buy upgrades at your personal expense, that is quite a different matter.

Back in the day one could extend the life of a voucher by purchasing a refundable ticket, then canceling it. The part that was paid with a voucher was refunded as a voucher (with a new expiration date). But it's probably been 20 years since I did something like that, so I don't know how it works these days...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL does a much better job of keeping track of the credit these days so that you can no longer extend it.

At any rate, I'm pretty confident there's no way DL will give you a cash credit post purchase. Any credit will almost certainly need to be applied prior to purchase. As other's noted, you could purchase the ticket and immediately cancel and then purchase a new one with the credit. But if the company ever audits tickets, this would likely generate a red flag if they see the original ticket has been refunded.

OP says the credit is from a cancelled flight. I'm assuming this is from a personal flight and not one from a work trip that his business has reimbursed. If the latter, that would be a pretty clear case of fraud.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

some ppl on this board need to chill out. soooo may assumptions being thrown around. I paid with my own cash that led to the voucher straight up. no double dipping. no fraud. i own it. period. just as if I bought a delta gc with cash.

anyway, i decided to just use the voucher as a form of payment, just like cash. it shouldnt be a problem, but i was thinking that i could avoid that buy applying it after the fact.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I took a screenshot of the price for a flight in economy, but booked biz using miles that I earned flying personally. I was reimbursed for the cash price of an economy ticket. How many rules did I break?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Your may be violating DL terms by doing so. Most (AFAIK all) vouchers have terms prohibiting exchange for cash, trade, or barter.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: DL GM
I paid with my own cash that led to the voucher straight up. no double dipping. no fraud. i own it. period.
No one said the opposite, but this does not change the fact that you are

Originally Posted by PayItForward
turning a virtual credit into cash via corporate reimbursement and only OP's Finance Dept can determine if it is allowed or not.
I'd definitely check with employer instead of trying to hide the trace of your voucher.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

Even better, with DL when you do this, the PNR stays the same even though the ticket number is new. It's a very clear trail and I do it all the time.

I don't think OP was trying to hide anything or commit fraud or pull one over on his employer. I do think anyone wanting to upgrade or split payments on a work expense for any reason should just ask the appropriate people at their workplace what is and is not an allowed or preferred approach. If the employee and employer are on the same page, there won't be any problems. Period.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
some ppl on this board need to chill out. soooo may assumptions being thrown around. I paid with my own cash that led to the voucher straight up. no double dipping. no fraud. i own it. period. just as if I bought a delta gc with cash.

anyway, i decided to just use the voucher as a form of payment, just like cash. it shouldnt be a problem, but i was thinking that i could avoid that buy applying it after the fact.
That does not change my response.

If you purchase a $1,000 ticket and pay with $800 in cash and a $300 voucher (which is "yours" from personal travel) and submit the receipts for both to your company and are reimbursed $1,000, there is no tax issue.

If you submit a receipt showing a false form of payment which your employer uses to justify a payment to you which it reports as an expense and you do not report as income, that is fraud, even if the ultimate numbers do not change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.