Million Miler happened in my sleep...

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is DL still offering any Hartmann pieces as MM gifts?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Congrats! I'm close at 980,089. No clue where I'll be when I hit it.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
When I hit 1MM somewhere over the Atlantic JFK-AMS, they woke the entire plane up at 3 AM and threw a huge party for me! It was kind of like that Swiss Airlines scene in "The Wolf of Wall Street"!

***NOT***

Seriously, that's a bummer that you AMEX'd it (not your fault of course). I remember when I hit 2MM on DL, I was kind of excited because it was the same route (ATL-LHR) that I flew my first DL flight in 1982! That drove some interesting conversation in the galley with the FAs. Most were ex-PanAm and had some great stories...

Congrats OP!

TFD
Not to nitpick ... But didn't DL fly to Gatwick, now Heathrow, in 1982?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Justin026
Actually, Western Airlines did give full miles on award tickets for a while, as well as miles for all of your family members travelling with you credited to your account. So a block of my first million Delta miles came from that bit of fluff. But I also remember getting 88 Delta miles for riding the Lufthansa Airport Express train from Bonn to Frankfurt.
Amazing!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
Not to nitpick ... But didn't DL fly to Gatwick, now Heathrow, in 1982?
Yes you are correct of course - For the purposes of the post (and the experience) it was immaterial since I was flying to "London".

As an aside, my second flight to "London" in 1983 ended up at MHZ due to WX in all of the London airports. As a military kid, that was not my first flight in-to or our-of MHZ! It was always awesome to watch the SR-71s take off from there with full afterburner going.

TFD
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I had the exact opposite experience to the OP. I hit MM a few weeks ago and saw it happen in close to real time, which would have been cool, except that I had to be awake and paying close attention to the flight the whole time. But it worked out fine in the end.

I hit MM on a DTW-NRT flight that was part of a weekend trip to TPE. I wanted to see TPE while DL still flew there, and took the DTW-NRT flight, Y outbound, J return on the UD, while DL still flew the B747. I had done a number of 747 UD flights, including on NW, but never on DL.

The EQM posted mid-flight, and the 1 MM icon was added to my profile at that time. (The email came 2-3 days later). I needed about half the EQM of the flight to actually cross 1 MM, so my status updated at close to when time I exactly hit 1 MM EQM .

The DTW-NRT was delayed several hours due to TYO winds . Many other NRT flights were also delayed, but my onward flight still showed on time. (I considered doing a trip in vain in DTW and rescheduling the trip for a later time). In flight, I had the purser check with DL ops, and they said that my onward flight would still be on time, even though other NRT-asia flights were already posting delays. So I spent several hours on Gogo in flight figuring out options if I misconnected

The onward flight ended up running late (pilots were running late), so it worked out.

And on the return, I got to fly 2 747 UD flights. My TPE-NRT flight posted a delay the night before. Worried about misconnecting, I switched to an earlier CI TPE-NRT flight. It happened to be a B747, and there was one seat left on the UD. Since I had a J ticket and CI sells the UD as Y, I had to talk to several people at TPE to get the "downgrade".

Had I stayed on the DL flight, I would have misconnected (TPE-NRT was about 7 hours late - it had arrived into TPE over 12 hours late) and then would have gotten no 747 UD flights.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jsbh
Beware of your MM selection. Some rift between DL and Tumi whereby you selected the expandable and they send you the basic. Tumi is fixing it now but they are suggesting the wrong product is in the MM page. Just make sure you get what you picked.
I did not get what I picked and the attempt to rectify the problem was met with a lot of resistance, after several tries I just gave up. Maybe exactly what they want to happen.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by tgtg
..... my heavy spending this year already triggered my first AmEx 10,000MQM bonus...
Begs the question; what's the fewest AIS miles someone has flown and still made million miler status?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.