Delta Premium Cabin Cost Cutting

Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Currently on LGA/ATL. No <apparent> cost cutting here!

The soup was stone cold, though, since the flight was delayed 2 hours.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by davetravels
The costs were cut on that route long ago.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

The soup was stone cold, though, since the flight was delayed 2 hours.
Flew ATL/JFK. Also no issues. Also had my favorite Lemon flavor dancing deer cookie. Then due to WX got rerouted from JFK/LAX to JFK/SFO/LAX. Of course normal D1 meal on it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
We know who you are. [WITH GEORGE COSTANZA SCENE]

https://youtu.be/UxB-H6f3crY
Brilliant, but to give credit where it's due, it was Mr. Pitt who started the whole eating-a-candy-bar-with-a-knife-and-fork craze. (I'm confident though that like many here, he would also expect a more inventive dessert on his first-class flights.)

I believe Elaine's friend ate her cookie with a knife and fork, so that is definitely a Seinfeld-approved option for the dreaded (by some) Dancing Deer treats...
Attached Images  
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by aero0729
Here is a picture! I know this is not a D1 route, but still pathetic for 5 hour flight. Steak was gross (as it should be on a US domestic flight) would have been nice to have dessert.
This is a typical DL domestic F meal, minus the candy bar. It's normally a packaged cookie or cake item. Did they serve you a roll? That's what's missing from this picture.

The little plastic salt and pepper shakers are one of my big pet peeves when I fly D1. Thankfully these are being replaced with the D1 changes.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:17 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
The little plastic salt and pepper shakers are one of my big pet peeves when I fly D1.
Just curious. What, exactly, is your peeve?

Would you prefer this?

Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LOL you would love AA's "enhanced" domestic salt and pepper "shakers"
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Interested to hear what people think about this. As I've suggested, I'd be happy with a cheese plate with grapes or something on many of the shorter meal flights (900-1000 miles generally). I would imagine that this would be much less costly than the current (often terrible) meals that these routes see.

For flights over 1400 miles, the potential savings could be used to provide higher quality meals, the sort that one would expect on a longer flight in FC. This would reduce the number of flights that a potential pre-order system would have to handle, and would hopefully help create some sort of standardization across the domestic network. It's ridiculous that one flight might have amazing choices, while the next has two fish dishes, or that awful mayonnaise "turkey" salad.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 29, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:28 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
This is a typical DL domestic F meal, minus the candy bar. It's normally a packaged cookie or cake item. Did they serve you a roll? That's what's missing from this picture.

The little plastic salt and pepper shakers are one of my big pet peeves when I fly D1. Thankfully these are being replaced with the D1 changes.
Just curious. What, exactly, is your peeve?

Would you prefer this?

Well played! Although I have the same question. They're quite a bit better than packets, after all. I think they're adorable personally, and reasonable functional.

Originally Posted by WWads
Interested to hear what people think about this. As I've suggested, I'd be happy with a cheese plate with grapes or something on many of the shorter meal flights. I would imagine that this would be much less costly than the current (often terrible) meals that these routes see.

For flights over 1400 miles, the potential savings could be used to provide higher quality meals, the sort that one would expect on a longer flight in FC.
I would be delighted with fruit and cheese in place of the normal dessert (cookie or whatever) in domestic first. Instead of the meal? No. I always like to have the option of having something more substantial on the plane, especially if I have something that I have to do immediately on arrival.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

You never see a prepackaged cookie or cake item on dinner flights anymore. It's always gelato.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
I would be delighted with fruit and cheese in place of the normal dessert (cookie or whatever) in domestic first. Instead of the meal? No. I always like to have the option of having something more substantial on the plane, especially if I have something that I have to do immediately on arrival.
The problem is that the quality of the meals has become so uneven and unpredictable that I no longer count on being able to have a good meal on board. If I'm hungry and about to get on a long flight, I eat in the airport, even if booked in FC. I've been burned too many times at this point.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Maybe they just replace that candy bar with this:

Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:19 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Maybe they just replace that candy bar with this:

Now that's my idea of dessert!

Sadly seems to be under-catered more and more recently
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WWads
Interested to hear what people think about this. As I've suggested, I'd be happy with a cheese plate with grapes or something on many of the shorter meal flights (900-1000 miles generally). I would imagine that this would be much less costly than the current (often terrible) meals that these routes see.

For flights over 1400 miles, the potential savings could be used to provide higher quality meals, the sort that one would expect on a longer flight in FC. This would reduce the number of flights that a potential pre-order system would have to handle, and would hopefully help create some sort of standardization across the domestic network. It's ridiculous that one flight might have amazing choices, while the next has two fish dishes, or that awful mayonnaise "turkey" salad.
I'd certainly be happy with a nice cheese plate for flights under 4 hours or so - even better if they add some charcuterie to it, as well. DL would of course still need to load options for folks who can't have dairy or don't prefer such a snack...but it seems like it'd be easy enough to have the other option be a veggie snack plate or something. I know they don't want to cater even more flights, but I'd very much prefer something like this vs. the snack basket on the 2.5ish-hour, 700-800 mile flights I usually find myself on.

While I enjoy a good in-flight meal when one is necessary, I guess for shorter flights I never really find myself in the situation where I can't get a better meal on the ground before or after the flight. Yes, sometimes I'm running straight to/from a meeting, but if that's the case, I really just need a snack to hold me over, not a full meal.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'd certainly be happy with a nice cheese plate for flights under 4 hours or so - even better if they add some charcuterie to it, as well. DL would of course still need to load options for folks who can't have dairy or don't prefer such a snack...but it seems like it'd be easy enough to have the other option be a veggie snack plate or something. I know they don't want to cater even more flights, but I'd very much prefer something like this vs. the snack basket on the 2.5ish-hour, 700-800 mile flights I usually find myself on.

While I enjoy a good in-flight meal when one is necessary, I guess for shorter flights I never really find myself in the situation where I can't get a better meal on the ground before or after the flight. Yes, sometimes I'm running straight to/from a meeting, but if that's the case, I really just need a snack to hold me over, not a full meal.
I also totally agree about a cheese plate being excellent idea on those flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.