Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
AA still gives complimentary upgrades on LAX/JFK to EP's. I don't see that changing on the LAX/DCA and BOS/SFO routes.
I meant in terms of adding lie-flat seats, not upgrade eligibility.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
I just meant the premium service. DL couldn't make JFK-SEA D1 work with only 3 flights a day and no meaningful competition, and the BOS-SFO numbers are in the same ballpark (IIRC) as JFK-SEA.

If anything, this seems like the capacity dumping that the legacies used to do to prevent LCCs like B6 from gaining market share, just for premium seats now instead.
I'm going to assume that DL did some market research that showed that SFO - BOS could support this service. The 128 corridor and the Bay Area have a lot of similar businesses (tech and biotech). I don't think that could be said for Seattle and NY.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I just meant the premium service. DL couldn't make JFK-SEA D1 work with only 3 flights a day and no meaningful competition, and the BOS-SFO numbers are in the same ballpark (IIRC) as JFK-SEA.

If anything, this seems like the capacity dumping that the legacies used to do to prevent LCCs like B6 from gaining market share, just for premium seats now instead.
I think there's more to this than just raw O/D numbers. The passenger profile is different.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
When people refer to "[regularly] scheduled" service, one-off events like presidential inaugurations are implicitly excluded.
Where in any of that did it say anything about regularly scheduled?
Originally Posted by pvn
Good lord, he didn't say they were wrong. He said "to my knowledge [they] never actually operated it."
Good lord, read all of the exchange between he/she and FlyerCO.

again, before make 3-4-5+ posts about an aircraft not doing something I would take 5 seconds to google it. Or don't and then have people tell you that you are wrong, whatever floats your boat.
(seems like a waste of posts to me, JMO)
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

again, before make 3-4-5+ posts about an aircraft not doing something I would take 5 seconds to google it. Or don't and then have people tell you that you are wrong, whatever floats your boat.
(seems like a waste of posts to me, JMO)
If you read over the page or two of posts before those, you'll note that nobody disputed the fact that wide bodies have flown to DCA. The issue at hand IS regularly scheduled service.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold

A few thoughts....

1) My understanding is that BOS-SFO sees something like 50% more pax than JFK-SEA does.

2) I think the discussion of "tech" as a driver of BOS-SFO is a bit misleading. Tech, as in IT companies, tend to be more parsimonious about travel than what might be classified as tech finance (e.g. VCs and private equity) and biotech (e.g. large molecule pharma companies). I mean, the biggest (IT) tech company in Boston does not allow J (or even W) travel, even if you are going to India, so I doubt DL is counting on them to be buying $2k+ J tickets to fly to SFO. SEA, not being a center for VCs and biotech like BOS or SFO, likely tracks the more frugal IT model.

3) Regarding UA, specifically, there is probably a fair amount of premium cabin traffic that is driven by connections to TPAC destinations, something JFK-SEA didn't have to a comparable degree.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

OK...

Originally Posted by WWads
Right now the largest regularly scheduled planes ex-DCA are UA's 757-300s, usually to DEN and SFO.
Originally Posted by Duke787
And I think historically only a handful have operated at DCA in the past all of which were either emergencies or empty proving runs (e.g., the 787 a few years back on its world tour)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They've been regularly scheduled. The 767 was a regular at one point. Just not in many years.
Originally Posted by jrl767
the only other candidates would have been AA and UA, and I'm quite certain neither of them did much if anything more than that sort of route proving
Originally Posted by jrl767
I think we'll have to agree to disagree ... again, I've been flying SEA/LAX<-->WAS since 1976 (and I was a UA regular 76-79, 82-86, and 90-92), and I can't recall any wide-body service (explicitly excluding route-proving runs) into or out of DCA on any airline
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
This has been debated on A.net and FT many times before. From what I've been told by airport officials there has not been regularly scheduled (other than special occasions) wide body service at DCA.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:14 pm

DCA is an airport that's too popular for its own good. Widebody service at DCA? It's a tiny airport!

You sometimes hear people say insane stuff along the lines of 'who needs Dulles when we have DCA'. Growth potential at Reagan is not far from being maxed out. That airport will never handle international traffic (Canada doesn't count) or regularly scheduled widebodies for that matter.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Renes Points
No more upgrades. Bad new! Keep Descending.
Making significant and major improvements to the quality of the product is hardly "bad news" / "keep descending".

Will there be winners? Yes, virtually all of those that buy premium fares whom will now have a far superior product and offering.

Will there be losers? I'm sure there will be a few DM's that occasionally scored a free upgrade on the existing domestic F product.

But for Delta to make a significant upgrade to the quality of the product, and charge accordingly for it, is hardly "keep descending".
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For once I have great timing. I booked LAX-DCA in F back in February for an August flight. At the time it was going for just $502. The prices have gone way up since this announcement. I'm very much looking forward to the trip now.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by pbarnette
1) My understanding is that BOS-SFO sees something like 50% more pax than JFK-SEA does.

2) I think the discussion of "tech" as a driver of BOS-SFO is a bit misleading.
It's certainly plausible BOS-SFO will turn out better than JFK-SEA, I guess we'll see what happens.

3) Regarding UA, specifically, there is probably a fair amount of premium cabin traffic that is driven by connections to TPAC destinations, something JFK-SEA didn't have to a comparable degree.
While I imagine DL would have liked to route premium TPAC traffic over JFK-SEA, the plethora of better non-stop options out of JFK have much greater appeal except for strict loyalists. It'll be interesting to see if new options like the 787 start to change the situation in BOS.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I can only hope that D1 is viable and that the numbers bear out that the carriers left a lot of money on the table over the years by offering 737/57/A319/20 transcon service.

With DL entering the market, you'll have three carriers with lie-flat service: B6, DL, and UA. You'll have two carriers offering their premium transcon service: B6 and DL; three if UA makes this a 'ps' service. Then add in AS/VX who will presumably continue with an SFO flight ex-BOS. That's a lot of premium capacity. It will be interesting to see if AA enters the fray; highly unlikely for SFO, but possibly for LAX.
Didn't UA announce it was doing away with ps? It was going to just be consider normal business, not a whole separate product just for transcon.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:48 am

Looks like they're going around calling every medallion member booked on these flights and telling them they have the option to change your itinerary to upgrade eligible flights within 2 weeks from the call....

I just got one and was told they are calling everybody, which I find really funny since I'm a lowly FO
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Looks like they're going around calling every medallion member booked on these flights and telling them they have the option to change your itinerary to upgrade eligible flights within 2 weeks from the call....

I just got one and was told they are calling everybody, which I find really funny since I'm a lowly FO
Wait...explain more: Do you mean that you booked in coach and they called to offer you to upgrade to D1? Or that since you are not going to be able to get a medallion upgrade they will reroute on your flights where you have that potential? For free or or for a charge?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:59 am

deleted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.