Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
DL thought about it (route proving runs in Dec 2008) but to my knowledge never actually operated it

my office in Crystal City had a view of the airport; I had been a DL regular for about five years at that point (mostly WAS-XXX-DAY/LAX/SEA/VPS/BOS/ABQ), so I would have been all over a DCA<-->ATL trip on a 763
Sorry for confusion, I wasn't referring to just DL when making the comment.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the only other candidates would have been AA and UA, and I'm quite certain neither of them did much if anything more than that sort of route proving
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
the only other candidates would have been AA and UA, and I'm quite certain neither of them did much if anything more than that sort of route proving
It's been at least 20 years, but UA used to fly 767 on some DCA routes.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I think we'll have to agree to disagree ... again, I've been flying SEA/LAX<-->WAS since 1976 (and I was a UA regular 76-79, 82-86, and 90-92), and I can't recall any wide-body service (explicitly excluding route-proving runs) into or out of DCA on any airline
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's been at least 20 years, but UA used to fly 767 on some DCA routes.
This has been debated on A.net and FT many times before. From what I've been told by airport officials there has not been regularly scheduled (other than special occasions) wide body service at DCA.

Space and runway length are two of the big issues.
1- Gates can't handle the length and wingspan of the aircraft.
2- Taxiways are narrow and have issues with the wingspan

Here's an article from last year when UA announced the 757-3
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...port/79768454/
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by pbarnette
From a business traffic perspective, I suspect that BOS-SFO was a no-brainer over BOS-LAX. There is much more synergy between the BOS and SFO economies than BOS and LAX. That isn't to say that there will be enough paid premium demand to support the route, but there is a much better chance than BOS-LAX, IMO.
When I looked at the DOT numbers in a previous incarnation of this discussion, BOS-SFO was a higher revenue route than BOS-LAX. (I didn't look at DCA-LAX.) But the numbers weren't that different from JFK-SEA, so I have a hard time believing this much service is sustainable over the long haul. I'd guess next year we're down to B6 and maybe 1 legacy carrier.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
When I looked at the DOT numbers in a previous incarnation of this discussion, BOS-SFO was a higher revenue route than BOS-LAX. (I didn't look at DCA-LAX.) But the numbers weren't that different from JFK-SEA, so I have a hard time believing this much service is sustainable over the long haul. I'd guess next year we're down to B6 and maybe 1 legacy carrier.
When you speak of service, are you talking about the number of carriers and flights? If so, BOS-SFO has had at least 3 carriers for a long time. I don't think DL's two flights per day will change things and that there is plenty of room for at least 4 carriers.

The only thing I question is the viability of D1 level service. However, if it doesn't work on BOS-SFO, then I'd think it definitively proves that the market for domestic D1 service is limited to NYC-SFO/JFK.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:58 am

DL thought about it (route proving runs in Dec 2008) but to my knowledge never actually operated it

my office in Crystal City had a view of the airport; I had been a DL regular for about five years at that point (mostly WAS-XXX-DAY/LAX/SEA/VPS/BOS/ABQ), so I would have been all over a DCA<-->ATL trip on a 763
Well you missed your chance, multiple times.

DL scheduled the 76G fleet into DCA for the first Obama inauguration and after used it a few times around thanksgiving/Christmas.

Also, quick hint, before being so sure in telling people they are wrong, google it. Their is video and even a FT thread, with pics, of the DL 767 in DCA.

now having said that, not sure why its being discussed. A 767 to ATL is a completely different animal than a 767 to LAX.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Well you missed your chance, multiple times.

DL scheduled the 76G fleet into DCA for the first Obama inauguration and after used it a few times around thanksgiving/Christmas.

Also, quick hint, before being so sure in telling people they are wrong, google it. Their is video and even a FT thread, with pics, of the DL 767 in DCA.

now having said that, not sure why its being discussed. A 767 to ATL is a completely different animal than a 767 to LAX.
When people refer to "[regularly] scheduled" service, one-off events like presidential inaugurations are implicitly excluded.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Also, quick hint, before being so sure in telling people they are wrong, google it.
Good lord, he didn't say they were wrong. He said "to my knowledge [they] never actually operated it."
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I was looking at the DCA-LAX flight for May a couple of weeks ago and the F cabin fares were around $900. Now they're starting around $1400. Well played Delta.

Anyways, I think it's nice to see the premium product come to DCA. I think D1 will do very well on this route and this really turns up the pressure on AS and AA which also operate this route.

I just want to confirm, it appears Regional Upgrade Certificates do work on the DL JFK-LAX/SFO D1 upgrades, but they haven't upgraded the chart on DL.com to indicate DCA. I'm assuming it will be the same.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html

I had already booked a DCA-LAX first for the end of October and now that flight is more twice the price I paid for it, so this is one instance I have lucked out with timing. For my return I am actually going to try Mint for the first time (SAN-JFK). I checked and I am still the only seat booked in the First (now Delta One) cabin on that flight so that price increase is totally Delta One related.

Last edited by Miesque; Mar 28, 2017 at 9:48 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact there have been a couple of wide-bodies into DCA over time does not = "regularly-scheduled" as most people would commonly understand the term. The issue of wide-body service at DCA has been beaten to death. It is simply not feasible as the airport is currently configured and would require giving up more than any current wide-body can currently provide.

Time to move on rather than playing word games.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by WWads
Complimentary upgrades have been dropped from both routes.

I fully expect that both AA and UA will have to respond.
AA still gives complimentary upgrades on LAX/JFK to EP's. I don't see that changing on the LAX/DCA and BOS/SFO routes.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
The only thing I question is the viability of D1 level service. However, if it doesn't work on BOS-SFO, then I'd think it definitively proves that the market for domestic D1 service is limited to NYC-SFO/JFK.
I can only hope that D1 is viable and that the numbers bear out that the carriers left a lot of money on the table over the years by offering 737/57/A319/20 transcon service.

With DL entering the market, you'll have three carriers with lie-flat service: B6, DL, and UA. You'll have two carriers offering their premium transcon service: B6 and DL; three if UA makes this a 'ps' service. Then add in AS/VX who will presumably continue with an SFO flight ex-BOS. That's a lot of premium capacity. It will be interesting to see if AA enters the fray; highly unlikely for SFO, but possibly for LAX.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
When you speak of service, are you talking about the number of carriers and flights? If so, BOS-SFO has had at least 3 carriers for a long time. I don't think DL's two flights per day will change things and that there is plenty of room for at least 4 carriers.

I just meant the premium service. DL couldn't make JFK-SEA D1 work with only 3 flights a day and no meaningful competition, and the BOS-SFO numbers are in the same ballpark (IIRC) as JFK-SEA.

If anything, this seems like the capacity dumping that the legacies used to do to prevent LCCs like B6 from gaining market share, just for premium seats now instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.