Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Second, the 777s are strictly worse than every narrowbody in the back given the 10-across squeeze.
+1
This point is not debatable. They are also MUCH worse than the 767's that DL uses for some of the flights which only have 1 middle seat per row.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Not on a regular basis as of today (there is an occasional one-off) but there have been rumors about UA introducing it forever. Wouldn't be surprised if this pushes them to finally add it.
All flights lie-flat by summer.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by WWads
Keep in mind that DL doesn't have an unlimited number of 75S aircraft. I'm assuming that their data supported BOS-SFO over BOS-LAX, at least for now. Hopefully DL will mod a few more if these new D1 routes work.
Perhaps the 5 ex-Shanghai 75Gs, although currently being shown as becoming 75Ps as they have Phase 2 mods done to them @VQQ, where ship #6819, N819DX, is currently, will be outfitted with the D1 cabin, so at least that will give DL a total of 23 B752s in this spec.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Maybe AA can try and compete and throw their refurbed 75L's on these routes.....oh wait, they just re-did the cabins and ripped out in-seat AVOD in Business Class and the whole plane is overhead TV's.

Delta, once again, is two steps ahead.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Maybe AA can try and compete and throw their refurbed 75L's on these routes.....oh wait, they just re-did the cabins and ripped out in-seat AVOD in Business Class and the whole plane is overhead TV's.

Delta, once again, is two steps ahead.
AA is truly a pathetic operation. Apparently 757s with standard domestic first still regularly pop up on TATL routes.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:43 pm

AA is truly a pathetic operation. Apparently 757s with standard domestic first still regularly pop up on TATL routes.
Seriously?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's only two un-moded 757s left at AA that fly TATL. The JV with BA/IB/AY require lie-flats for TATL.
​​
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Delta sees an opportunity to steal premium traffic away from United. For those paying to fly up front, a lie-flat seat is very attractive, as is better onboard service. Right now UA mostly uses 737s on that route.
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I would think that with so many carriers operating BOS-SFO, yields would go down a lot. Why do you think DL can command a premium and actually make more money than simply flying those DeltaOne planes e.g. internationally?
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would think that BOS-SFO sees a markedly higher proportion of business travelers than BOS-LAX.
I know a few VX loyalists who regularly fly BOS-SFO, in paid first class, for business. Now that AS has announced its intention to eliminate the Virgin America brand and dumb down the first class product to AS levels, perhaps DL also sees an opportunity to pick up some disaffected VX flyers.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
I know a few VX loyalists who regularly fly BOS-SFO, in paid first class, for business. Now that AS has announced its intention to eliminate the Virgin America brand and dumb down the first class product to AS levels, perhaps DL also sees an opportunity to pick up some disaffected VX flyers.
Good point, I had not thought about the AS competition in this situation.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I was looking at the DCA-LAX flight for May a couple of weeks ago and the F cabin fares were around $900. Now they're starting around $1400. Well played Delta.

Anyways, I think it's nice to see the premium product come to DCA. I think D1 will do very well on this route and this really turns up the pressure on AS and AA which also operate this route.

I just want to confirm, it appears Regional Upgrade Certificates do work on the DL JFK-LAX/SFO D1 upgrades, but they haven't upgraded the chart on DL.com to indicate DCA. I'm assuming it will be the same.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html
They've updated the link to reflect that RUCs can be used on DCA-LAX, BOS-SFO.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Really glad to see that DL is continuing to pay attention to the SFO market. They have been leaving money---real money--- on the table here for years. The Bay Area is now one of the wealthiest regions in the world, and DL is the premium US carrier, it's a natural fit.

Perhaps they are hoping to really tap the transcon premium market and add even more routes. When people with the kind of money people here have are looking at 6 hours in the air, I suspect many are willing to pay to not sit in coach.
Continental had the largest fleet of intl config 757s when it merged with UA - bigger than UA, DL, AA or US. All of CO's 752s had lie flat seats in 2011. For summer 2016, UA had an avg of 311 daily departures from SFO, 67% of which were mainline. I really don't think UA was guilty of systemically ignoring paid premium cabin demand for lie flats. Rather, I think it's a pretty short list of domestic destinations from SFO that the avg front cabin fare premium justifies the lower seat density. UA has for years had the fleet to satisfy the demand you allege to be there.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by minnyfly
No need to keep up with the Joneses with LAX-BOS. Nobody is making a move. With UA scheduling all flat-bed service this summer on SFO-BOS, DL would be hoeing a hard row with the lowest frequency and neither their F or Y product standing out compared to UA/B6/VX.
Actually, DL had this as a lie flat pretty soon after you could start booking the flights. They declared they were going to go flat before UA made a move IIRC. So, I think this was another case of UA reacting to the market, not the other way around.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Wonder what the premium demand is for these markets. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Last edited by apodo77; Mar 25, 2017 at 11:49 am
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
UA has for years had the fleet to satisfy the demand you allege to be there.
Yes but they have not had the competition and therefore no need to invest, so customers had no choice but to pay high fares for standard domestic F.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Pretty sure not a single diamond has been upgraded on DCA-LAX in the past years.

AFAIK it's a brand new route launching this April and was always planned to launch with flat beds.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-dca-lax.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...130000900.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.