Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SJU-ATL-STL San Juan terminal advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive
SJU-ATL-STL San Juan terminal advice

Team,

We are flying back from San Juan on Saturday, at 2:20pm. We are a family of 5, with one toddler. 2 first class seats, and 3 main cabin seats

This is my first time departing from SJU, and I want to be prepared. I've heard horror stories about how hectic it is.

I understand we have to scan all bags through the USDA section. Then we need to check the bags with Delta. Then through security & TSA.

I have a few questions:

1. Will my kids get TSA access, 12yr, 13yr, 2yr?
2. Is the USDA for all airlines, or is there a Delta section?
3. Is there a sky priority lane or first class area for our use?
4. Is there anything that I'm not thinking about?

Thanks as always, be well!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The USDA scanners are for all airlines, just as you enter the doors to the terminal. If there is a long line for the scanner at that entrance, check to see if the lines are shorter at the other entrances.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mthake
1. Will my kids get TSA access, 12yr, 13yr, 2yr?
What does this mean?

If you are asking whether your children are eligible for TSA Pre-Check, the answer is here:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
USDA scanners are for all airlines. I'm not sure what you mean by TSA access. Pre-Check? Young enough to keep their shoes on? I fly in and out of SJU a pretty good amount and the airport doesn't seem too bad. I would arrive a few minutes earlier than you normally would, just in case the USDA lines are bad, and not worry about it.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
SJU is not too bad. If you are renting a car, you will return it in the garage and walk across the street. You will need to take the elevator (located to the right and outside of baggage claim) to get upstairs to the check in counter.

There is a Sky Priority lane to check the bags at the Delta counter, but not for the USDA bag scan. However, there are several lines for the USDA machines so fine the shortest one (not sure why but everybody always seems to line up behind one scanner when there is another scanner)

Sooo who gets to sit in first class?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
SJU is a breeze.

As others have mentioned USDA is for everyone. It's just inside the doors to the right. ALL bags, including carryons go through. They place a sticker on your bag after it's inspected. Don't pack any fruits or vegetables.

Delta has the standard SP and regular checkin lanes.

TSA security is like any other US airport.

SJU is a big airport. There is plenty of dining and shops beyond security. You can also buy duty free even though it's not an international flight.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+, Delta Diamond Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Skyclub Executive
Wow, as usual, I'm so thankful for everyone's help on here.

My oldest daughter is 13, so we won't all be able to precheck.

We will look for the shortest line when arriving at the airport. Thinking B might be a good option, as it hosts the premium airlines, like Delta.

Of course, Mom and Dad get the first class seats... LOL! Until toddler (son) throws his fits, and it will be Dad and son in first class.... :-)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt, SPG
Hectic as compared to what?

I've flown in and out of SJU dozens of time and I can tell you that is no much worse than some domestic airports. If you can deal with ATL you can deal with SJU.

Get your USDA inspection done as soon as you enter the terminal before you do anything else.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ErickG
Hectic as compared to what?

I've flown in and out of SJU dozens of time and I can tell you that is no much worse than some domestic airports. If you can deal with ATL you can deal with SJU.

Get your USDA inspection done as soon as you enter the terminal before you do anything else.
This makes me feel much better! I've been in/out of ATL more that 100 times over the past 2 years. Thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.