Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta GUC on KLM for married segments

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Delta GUC on KLM for married segments

I noticed that for many dates, if I search for EF Z availability for a particular leg I get different results than married segments. Using April 10th, 2017 as an example:

ie:
For KLM, on ExpertFlyer:

JNB->AMS

I see 0 Z (GUC upgrade) availability.

However, if I search for JNB -> AMS -> ATL -> MCO

I'll see Z9 availability for *every* segment of that routing.

So if I'm actually flying JNB -> AMS -> ATL -> MCO, and my AMS->ATL->MCO legs have already cleared, what rules do I follow?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sogi
I noticed that for many dates, if I search for EF Z availability for a particular leg I get different results than married segments. Using April 10th, 2017 as an example:

ie:
For KLM, on ExpertFlyer:

JNB->AMS

I see 0 Z (GUC upgrade) availability.

However, if I search for JNB -> AMS -> ATL -> MCO

I'll see Z9 availability for *every* segment of that routing.

So if I'm actually flying JNB -> AMS -> ATL -> MCO, and my AMS->ATL->MCO legs have already cleared, what rules do I follow?
I also just noticed KLM uses married segment logic for GUC usage when booking a recent trip. I used a GUC on IAD-AMS-GOT, which was Z9 on both segments, but noticed that IAD-AMS on the same day was Z0.

I don't know the answer to your question, but as long as every segment has availability, I would think an agent could apply the GUC to every segment when reissuing the ticket (even if some legs have already cleared and the uncleared legs don't have availability on their own).
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I have noticed this as well and it generally seems that availability is more readily available on connecting itineraries than on single segments. I don't know what happens in your situation though.

Have you tried calling and asking if they are able to clear the JNB-AMS leg?

If the agent says no, it might be worth asking if they see upgrade space for the entire trip from JNB to ATL, or something like that. Or give it a couple of HUCAs.

Though if your ticket has already been reissued, I think you may not be able to still extend the same GUC onto another segment as it is already marked as used -- I'm not sure what the latest rules on that are.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
I have noticed this as well and it generally seems that availability is more readily available on connecting itineraries than on single segments. I don't know what happens in your situation though.

Have you tried calling and asking if they are able to clear the JNB-AMS leg?

If the agent says no, it might be worth asking if they see upgrade space for the entire trip from JNB to ATL, or something like that. Or give it a couple of HUCAs.

Though if your ticket has already been reissued, I think you may not be able to still extend the same GUC onto another segment as it is already marked as used -- I'm not sure what the latest rules on that are.
I've gotten different answers, but I've been told majority of times its per segment.

As for the last part that isn't true. Never has been true. You can always extend a GUC to other flights it covers. It's how you prevent a GUC from being used on a short haul (say DCA-ATL) and not on the long haul (sat ATL-NRT). You call back once the long-haul clears and upgrade/waitlist the short haul.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond
I had a similar issue. Expert Flyer showed Z space availability for each of my flight segments but if you looked in Expert Flyer to my final destination with that layover as a flight it had 0 Z class space. Tried to get a DL agent to book it segment by segment but they couldn't get it to work. She acknowledged not seeing Z space on the flight but seeing it on each segment like I did but couldn't get it to book out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.