Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD-88 Retired from LGA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by WWads
I will definitely miss them. The MD80 series is perhaps the finest short-haul passenger plane ever made. Quiet up front, comfortable, reliable, and 2x3 seating in Y.
+1 to all. It's nice when you're up front and you can hardly hear the engines. And for when you're not up front, the 2-row is nice as well.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
As an aviation geek, I'd love to hear the details.
I'm not a pilot - and I don't play one on TV, but, IIRC, the issue is LGA's new mandate of precision (computer-aided) departures. Not all Delta MD-88s (delivered 1987-1993) have adequate memory to store all the possible nav routes. (Think of trying to upgrade the memory in your IBM PC XT286.) So, DL just won't fly any MD-88s from LGA.

The good news - and Delta's spin - is that this takes a relatively noisy aircraft away from some heavily populated areas. What they don't say is that they're still flying just as many noisy MD-88's and taking the noise to DAB, CHA, etc.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 5, 2017 at 11:52 am
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Reported this already a few days ago in the schedules update thread
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does this mean that some MD88s can't divert to LGA for weather problems or even in an emergency?
No in those cases they still can. It's just under normal circumstances they won't be allowed to operate without computer aided departures/approaches.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bagels
IMO, operating an aircraft in 2x3 configuration is more competitive in a business heavy market than the 3x3 that are replacing them.
a matter of tastes I suppose

a newly refurbished a319 with mood lighting and PTVs is way better than a 80s style cabin m88. Same for 737 or a320 sans-ptv
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I have never liked the narrow feel of the MD-88's but I do really like 2X3 seating when traveling with a companion. Like many PMNW flyers, I am a fan of Airbus. I remember when the A319's & 320's were fresh and new and a really nice change from the DC-9's.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Gold Status, Delta Platinum AMEX, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, SPG Preferred
I like how they are taking care of them and refurbishing the interiors but I personally don't like them if I'm in F or C+. Seating is pretty tight in the back.

I'm a huge fan of the new Airbus interiors though! Major improvement from their old configuration

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm not a pilot - and I don't play one on TV, but, IIRC, the issue is LGA's new mandate of precision (computer-aided) departures. Not all Delta MD-88s (delivered 1987-1993) have adequate memory to store all the possible nav routes. (Think of trying to upgrade the memory in your IBM PC XT286.) So, DL just won't fly any MD-88s from LGA.

The good news - and Delta's spin - is that this takes a relatively noisy aircraft away from some heavily populated areas. What they don't say is that they're still flying just as many noisy MD-88's and taking the noise to DAB, CHA, etc.
Very interesting. How does this affect things like NAV in terms of weather? Or is it just storage issues? ATL is already M88 heaven, might as well keep them down there.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does this mean that some MD88s can't divert to LGA for weather problems or even in an emergency?
Yes because the captain would be sentenced to prison, served at the Delta Corporate prison located in Concourse C at CVG (former Comair terminal).
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N623DL
I like how they are taking care of them and refurbishing the interiors but I personally don't like them if I'm in F or C+. Seating is pretty tight in the back.

I'm a huge fan of the new Airbus interiors though! Major improvement from their old configuration

Very interesting. How does this affect things like NAV in terms of weather? Or is it just storage issues? ATL is already M88 heaven, might as well keep them down there.
Just storage issues, all of the 88's have space for ATL so that's where they're being focused.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Yes because the captain would be sentenced to prison, served at the Delta Corporate prison located in Concourse C at CVG (former Comair terminal).
No wonder the Conair plane is always sitting nearby.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
May also relate to the MD-88 incident final report (from the flight in 2015, the one sliding off the runway)
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLroads
May also relate to the MD-88 incident final report (from the flight in 2015, the one sliding off the runway)
What was in the final report to make you say this?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta PM
Sad to hear this. LGA<->DTW is my most flown route, and have been mostly 88s. Fell in love with them
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by DLroads
I doubt this. The report just came out and the equipment changes were loaded a while ago.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Credit Card, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
+1 to all. It's nice when you're up front and you can hardly hear the engines. And for when you're not up front, the 2-row is nice as well.
How sad, I'm going to miss them from their 3X2 seating to the engine noise. I never thought I'd see the day we would start seeing them go, seems like the type of aircraft that could fly forever if maintained correctly/parts still produced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.