Wiki Posts
Search

Where will I clear Customs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Gold
Where will I clear Customs

Just trying to make sure I have planned for all possible issues. But one question I did not think about and not sure it will matter is where I will clear thru customs.

Flying
SAN to SLC on July 2 on a separate DL ticket in coach
SLC to LHR on July 2 on a separate DL ticket business

Return flights are the same

LHR to SLC in business
SLC to SAN in coach

Since the flights are not SAN to LHR I just assumed I would clear customs in SLC. But I was told that when I get to SAN for the start of the trip DL should treat me and my luggage as going from SAN to LHR.

Not sure if that is the case, but if so this leads to my question?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
On the outbound there's no US customs. You'll clear in LHR

Coming back, you'll clear in SLC
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't go through US customs on flights leaving the US. You can through check your bags from SAN to LHR. You will go through US customs on the return in SLC.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
You don't go through US customs on flights leaving the US. You can through check your bags from SAN to LHR. You will go through US customs on the return in SLC.
I am aware that I clear US customs on the return only and that I clear the UK equivalent at LHR on arrival.

Thanks for the clarification about the SLC.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Easiest way to remember it is wherever you step off the plane to American soil, except pre clearance.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
You will be asked to show your passport at the start of the trip in SAN. You also will be subject to international baggage allowances even though the first leg is domestic.

That may be what they meant.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Okay, lots of confusion here. There are a few variables at play:

- you have two separate tickets, but both are Delta issued for Delta operated flights.
- You will be making an unprotected "connection" between those two tickets in SLC (although Delta has an unpublished policy to protect you anyway in case of delays/cancellations)

When you check in for the first ticket, you will have a choice: you can check your bag only to SLC or all the way to LHR. A kiosk will only check it as far as SLC - you will need to talk to an agent if you want it to go all the way to Heathrow. Being a printout of both itineraries for the agent's convenience as they may need to manually enter your confirmation code or flight numbers to get the bags routed for you.

This should also be an option on the return in London; the staff there may be a bit more resistant to doing it, so be persistent. Saying the phrase "interline my bags across both tickets" may help if they say it isn't possible, although it's not technically interlining since both flights are Delta.

So that handles where the bags get routed. But there's also the matter of customs and immigration.

On the outbound, bags will automatically get forwarded all the way to the U.K. You will not go through any exit control leaving the US. Upon arrival in LHR, you will go through passport control, collect your baggage, and then exit through a customs channel depending on whether you have items to declare.

On the return, things are a little different. When you land in SLC, you will clear immigration and customs for the US there since it is your port of first entry into the country. You will go through passport control, much like in the U.K. But the different part is that you must collect your checked baggage in the customs inspection area, even though you have an onward flight. You will reclaim your bags, walk them through customs, and then redeposit them on a baggage carousel.

This procedure does mean that it doesn't really matter if the LHR desk can check your bags all the way to SAN. If they only tag them to SLC, it's just a minor inconvenience: you will simply exit to landslide as if SLC is your final destination, and then check in for your second ticket as if you were originating there. But if they tag them all the way to SAN, you can drop your bags off st the convenient carousel just after US customs.

In both cases you will need to verify your passport to check in for your international ticket and show your passport at boarding time. If you end up checking in for the international ticket in SAN, the checkin agent will probably take care of this for you automatically. Otherwise, you may need to see the gate agent in SLC (or a SkyClub agent if you have access) and show them your passport to get a "DOCS OK" stamp or printout on your boarding pass.

Hope this helps a little...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hiima
Easiest way to remember it is wherever you step off the plane to American soil, except pre clearance.
with the exception of Canada correct? Dont we clear US customs before we come home from Canada?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If you're flying LHR/SLC/SAN on 2 separate tix, can agents check you in for the second leg?

I've always been told that airport agents can only check you in for itineraries departing from that airport.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
with the exception of Canada correct? Dont we clear US customs before we come home from Canada?
That is what pre-clearence is. Also done in Dublin, Shannon and some Caribbean airports. There were reports about it being in the Middle East but I don't fly there so I can't comment.

But not all Canadian airports have pre-clearance, just the major ones...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
If you're flying LHR/SLC/SAN on 2 separate tix, can agents check you in for the second leg?

I've always been told that airport agents can only check you in for itineraries departing from that airport.
For me, this has been kind of like getting to the center of a tootsie roll pop: the world may never know exactly, I've never been able to test it because I always have technically checked in from home at T-24. But I am pretty sure agents at the origin airport have been able to print my onward boarding passes from the second ticket for me at least once in the past. (Memory could be failing me, though.)

Even if you need to complete checkin at your connecting airport (via a kiosk, phone or agent) at the beginning of the second ticket, I am pretty sure that shouldn't preclude the bags from being checked through for the whole itinerary.

(Perhaps Widgets or someone else with direct knowledge of how this works in practice can clear up the details.)
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
That is what pre-clearence is. Also done in Dublin, Shannon and some Caribbean airports. There were reports about it being in the Middle East but I don't fly there so I can't comment.

But not all Canadian airports have pre-clearance, just the major ones...
AUH has pre-clearance.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
For me, this has been kind of like getting to the center of a tootsie roll pop: the world may never know exactly, I've never been able to test it because I always have technically checked in from home at T-24. But I am pretty sure agents at the origin airport have been able to print my onward boarding passes from the second ticket for me at least once in the past. (Memory could be failing me, though.)

Even if you need to complete checkin at your connecting airport (via a kiosk, phone or agent) at the beginning of the second ticket, I am pretty sure that shouldn't preclude the bags from being checked through for the whole itinerary.

(Perhaps Widgets or someone else with direct knowledge of how this works in practice can clear up the details.)
If they use there nifty tool you should be able. The trick is you normally need to ask for the SC or GA to reprint the BPS, since takes some time. I did this recently with separate DL/VS tickets. They add the extra flights to reservation, but unless it pulls the other ticket number it can't check you in. However the new DL tool will do it, but it's not instant. Pull up your reservation at bit after checkin and it should show the other flights and now allow agent to issue all BP.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I've done this quite a few times, and BenA's post is exactly my experience. Typically I use my Amex Companion cert to get to JFK, then go TATL from there.

I've never had an issue getting my bag checked all the way through to my true final destination. On the way back, they've always had to check it to JFK, then recheck it at JFK to my final. Since you have to grab the bags anyway, it only takes an extra couple minutes.

As far as checking in, I've never asked since I just check in for each leg on my phone-I can't imagine an agent wouldn't be able to check you in though, even if it isn't departing from that airport, so long as it's T-24 hours.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TerryK
AUH has pre-clearance.
Yes, and this is one of the most desired foreign stations for CBP workers besides some of the Caribbean destinations. The AUH CBP staff is one of the most friendly in the system!

TFD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.